Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-04-2021, 09:16 AM   #16
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by endemion06463 View Post
I do get the point though. You have people who treat their stuff with proper respect and those who just throw things around and then complain about stuff breaking.
And then there are those that treat their stuff with care, but accidents happen.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 09:18 AM   #17
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
[url]In over twenty five years I've not broken a phone screen.
I've never been in an auto collision, but I appreciate that my car has seat belts and air bags.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2021, 12:51 PM   #18
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
Researchers working at an Australian uni, and others around the world, have played around with various substances and " turned to a mineral called perovskite, a calcium titanium oxide crystal."

... " team of chemical engineers and material scientists then developed a revolutionary process to wrap or bind the nanocrystals in porous glass"

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-10-...lass/100578398

This is excellent news and of course will have flow on effects for all sorts of products, eventually

Reminds me of my Samsung Galaxy with Gorilla Glass something. One drop on the bathroom floor and I had cracks on it.

Unbreakable screens are a myth - just buy a cover and you'll be fine.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 01:39 PM   #19
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
Reminds me of my Samsung Galaxy with Gorilla Glass something. One drop on the bathroom floor and I had cracks on it.

I don't understand people who don't put cases and screen protectors on their phones. You could be the most careful person in the world, but what if some klutz bumps into you and causes your phone to be dropped?
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 02:13 PM   #20
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I don't understand people who don't put cases and screen protectors on their phones. You could be the most careful person in the world, but what if some klutz bumps into you and causes your phone to be dropped?
I just got a new phone and its maker doesn't sell what I call a flip cover case for it. I guess it's now called a wallet case because they have places in the flip cover for cards and cash (found one on Amazon, which is how they're listed there). All of my phones and tablets have always had a flip cover, for the reason you stated; we don't expect accidents to happen. I guess scratches are unlikely these days but I still worry about that so that's another benefit of a flip cover/wallet case, especially since I toss the phone into my backpack when I go to a baseball game.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2021, 03:09 PM   #21
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
I just got a new phone and its maker doesn't sell what I call a flip cover case for it. I guess it's now called a wallet case because they have places in the flip cover for cards and cash (found one on Amazon, which is how they're listed there). All of my phones and tablets have always had a flip cover, for the reason you stated; we don't expect accidents to happen. I guess scratches are unlikely these days but I still worry about that so that's another benefit of a flip cover/wallet case, especially since I toss the phone into my backpack when I go to a baseball game.
I've never had one of those wallet cases but they do look like a good idea. I usually carry my phone in an interior pocket of my purse when I'm out & about.

For non-wallet style cases I can recommend the double-layer cases from Incipio - I think it's called Duo? Dual? I've used those on two phones and they (along with a glass screen protector) have protected my phones through several drops (yes I'm a klutz!)

I once took a phone to a repair shop to get the charging port replaced. The tech working there showed me a phone that someone had dropped - they didn't have a case or screen protector on it. It was pretty badly smashed up. No way I'd take that chance.

I do sometimes use my ereaders at home without the case but that's only if I'm sitting on my bed or couch beside a carpeted floor. A drop there isn't likely to break anything.
Old 11-05-2021, 04:06 PM   #22
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post

Research on toughened glass, or practically unbreakable glass, as the article claims, is in the realms of the ordinary every day research I'd expect.

And industrial applications for it would no doubt be numerous, irrespective of whether you choose a case as a precaution.

Yeah, snippy response from me, but your simplistic sentiment to just cover your phone seemed to call out for it. There are other uses, and yet to be understood uses for this sort of breakthrough.

And while others here have said the research may not get picked up (for various reasons), aren't they just positive souls

The research as it stands may not get picked up, instead it may be used to further understanding in any number of other ways.

But that's just my opinion.

Last edited by Lynx-lynx; 11-05-2021 at 04:08 PM.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 07:54 PM   #23
endemion06463
Enthusiast
endemion06463 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.endemion06463 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.endemion06463 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.endemion06463 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.endemion06463 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.endemion06463 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.endemion06463 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.endemion06463 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.endemion06463 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.endemion06463 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.endemion06463 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Likebook P78
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
And then there are those that treat their stuff with care, but accidents happen.
I think you're missing the point here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I've never been in an auto collision, but I appreciate that my car has seat belts and air bags.
Kinda silly to equate risking physical trauma with breaking a phone.

Let me also rephrase what I said earlier. There are those who may on rare occasions break their device because of an accident and there are those who break their devices on a (semi)regular basis because of carelessness. Where should our attention go to in the first place the predominant cause being carelessness or the effect broken screens? With other words what would be more effective, addressing people's lack of care or making things a bit sturdier and in a way indulge their carelessness?

Does that make it (more) clear, the point I was making I mean?

Quote:
Well what if you want to enjoy your device that is now thinner than ever. Already comes with a highly scratch resistent screen. And has been tested to be able to survive falling up to x ft. It usually does add significant bulk, all those (extra) protective measures. Which then won't guarantee that your device doesn't get damaged if an accident occurs. And you may not be particularly fond of that plastic feel of a case. There is also something to be said for heat management, could prolong your battery life if your phone gets less hot and toasty.

I also have to wonder; who's the bigger klutz someone bumping into someone a pretty common occurrence or someone not being able to hold on to their phone when being bumped into?

All in all it's just a matter of risk assessment. What am I (klutz or no klutz) willing to risk or not? And how do I assess the risks for my particular situation? Oh and though it usually isn't a big sum, it still factors in that extra investment.
endemion06463 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 06:44 AM   #24
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:

All in all it's just a matter of risk assessment. What am I (klutz or no klutz) willing to risk or not? And how do I assess the risks for my particular situation? Oh and though it usually isn't a big sum, it still factors in that extra investment.
Seems understandable to me.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 07:32 PM   #25
4691mls
Wizard

Quote:
I think you're missing the point here.

Kinda silly to equate risking physical trauma with breaking a phone.

Let me also rephrase what I said earlier. There are those who may on rare occasions break their device because of an accident and there are those who break their devices on a (semi)regular basis because of carelessness. Where should our attention go to in the first place the predominant cause being carelessness or the effect broken screens? With other words what would be more effective, addressing people's lack of care or making things a bit sturdier and in a way indulge their carelessness?

Does that make it (more) clear, the point I was making I mean?

Well what if you want to enjoy your device that is now thinner than ever. Already comes with a highly scratch resistent screen. And has been tested to be able to survive falling up to x ft. It usually does add significant bulk, all those (extra) protective measures. Which then won't guarantee that your device doesn't get damaged if an accident occurs. And you may not be particularly fond of that plastic feel of a case. There is also something to be said for heat management, could prolong your battery life if your phone gets less hot and toasty.

I also have to wonder; who's the bigger klutz someone bumping into someone a pretty common occurrence or someone not being able to hold on to their phone when being bumped into?

I'm not careless, but I do have poor depth perception which sometimes leads to tripping or bumping into things. Or I'll go to set something on a counter and somehow miss and it falls to the floor.

I do agree that each person has to do their own personal risk assessment taking into account their clumsiness level and also whether paying to repair or replace the device would be a financial hardship.
Old 11-07-2021, 07:41 PM   #26
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
I'm not careless, but I do have poor depth perception which sometimes leads to tripping or bumping into things. Or I'll go to set something on a counter and somehow miss and it falls to the floor.

I do agree that each person has to do their own personal risk assessment taking into account their clumsiness level and also whether paying to repair or replace the device would be a financial hardship.

just because i may not what something that doesn't mean that i don't appreciate others will

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 09:11 AM   #27
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:

I do that since a while ago. Well, that was a lesson learnt.
My point is that all those 'unbreakable glass' type XYZ is bullsh*t.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 10:32 AM   #28
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Unbreakable toys are excellent for breaking other toys...
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 01:42 PM   #29
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
For people who don't put a case on their phone, besides it being unnecessary for protection, why don't you like having your phone in a case?
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 03:36 PM   #30
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Unbreakable toys are excellent for breaking other toys...
.... and breaking hearts ....
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote