Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-06-2021, 08:30 AM   #61
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
I mean it's pretty easy to ignore those features if you aren't interested. The Sage doesn't even come with the stylus in the box so it's not like you're really paying for a feature you'll never use.
Exactly this. It's one of the things I like about the Sage, making the stylus an add-on for those who care enough to buy one rather than effectively charging those who don't want or need it.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 09:09 AM   #62
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanplan View Post
I noticed that the Sage has a significantly more powerful processor:
Quad Core @ 1.8 GHz

While the Libra 2 only lists:
1 GHz

I'd suspect this to be a 2 core device. This explains the difference in price for the Sage and the weight.
I think this will be the same CPU as in the current devices. They are all 1GHz CPUs.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2021, 10:11 AM   #63
KoopaOne
Austrian Bookworm
KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4
Maybe time to replace my Aura H20 with the Sage.
I don't care about the Stylus or the note taking, but the bezel free display and USB-C are a no brainer for me, since i got big problems with the Aura H20 and my new Mac Pro M1.
KoopaOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 10:14 AM   #64
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
My Libra very seldom leaves my house, and I only use its case if we're going away for a weekend when I'll be reading in the car more often, which happened recently and is the reason my Libra was still in its case. I suspect that I will notice the 60 extra grams of the Sage if I get one, but it won't be a crippling burden
The Libra case is that heavy? If so that’s great news to me. I generally use my Forma uncased but recently I’ve had it in the sleepcover case just to add some heft to it. It’s a little more than I’d like, but does the job. I’d imagine the Formas case is moderately heavier than the Libras so if I don’t case my Sage I’ll end up with a lighter feel that might be closer to an ideal heft for me.

I really hope the battery life is comparable to the Forma, which I suspect it should be. The only change that might affect it is the faster CPU (I won’t be using Bluetooth so it’ll be disabled).
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 10:39 AM   #65
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
The cases have more uses than mentioned here, particularly the origami type: I use it when cooking for instance, watching the pot and stirring (only with the Libra, I wouldn't risk the Elipsa). I use it as a dock for the Elipsa also, particularly when setting it up or (very rare for me) writing. I doubt I would with the Sage should I buy it, since the available space around my PC is limited and the Elipsa dock is a fixture there.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2021, 11:54 AM   #66
Almamida
Guru
Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage - Kindle PW5 & Voyage - iPad Pro M1 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I think this will be the same CPU as in the current devices. They are all 1GHz CPUs.
I'm waiting, but if it's confirmed, Kobo is using in 2021, a processor that was presented in 2011... introduced with the Kobo Aura H2O (not sure) or Glo HD, 7 / 8 years ago.

Cheaper than cheap, and clearly not good enough in my actual Libra.

I look forward to receive the Sage and try the new processor / speed of the system. That could be a game changer for me if the performance is here.
Almamida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 12:24 PM   #67
benbook
benbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1
Would have been interested in the Sage to replace my KAO, bit it's MUCH too wide.
benbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 12:45 PM   #68
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almamida View Post
I'm waiting, but if it's confirmed, Kobo is using in 2021, a processor that was presented in 2011... introduced with the Kobo Aura H2O (not sure) or Glo HD, 7 / 8 years ago.

Cheaper than cheap, and clearly not good enough in my actual Libra.
I have a Libra. It works perfectly as an ereader for real ebooks. PDFs and graphic novels are not real ebooks, they can need more screen and CPU. A5 size PDF manuals are OK on the Libra, real PDFs, not scanned paper with maybe an OCR layer.

Actually, for ebooks even the KK3 isn't too slow, it's just too low resolution. The PW3 and Kobo Aura HD H2O original are both fast enough with KF8 and epub, respectively.

For larger PDFs you need more than 7" eink. That's why larger eink often has 4 core or 8 core (Android models) and faster CPU and often worse battery life even with larger batteries.

The Libra battery life is excellent.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 01:06 PM   #69
Almamida
Guru
Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage - Kindle PW5 & Voyage - iPad Pro M1 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I have a Libra. It works perfectly as an ereader for real ebooks. PDFs and graphic novels are not real ebooks, they can need more screen and CPU. A5 size PDF manuals are OK on the Libra, real PDFs, not scanned paper with maybe an OCR layer.

Actually, for ebooks even the KK3 isn't too slow, it's just too low resolution. The PW3 and Kobo Aura HD H2O original are both fast enough with KF8 and epub, respectively.

For larger PDFs you need more than 7" eink. That's why larger eink often has 4 core or 8 core (Android models) and faster CPU and often worse battery life even with larger batteries.

The Libra battery life is excellent.
And you totally miss my point. Kobo is selling us an outdated chip. I didn't even mention reading pdf or manga.

The Libra definitely needs improvement when you need to do anything else than turning a page (even then, it misses when I press the button once in a while), calling the menu to go back to the books, navigate the books, use the keyboard, highlight something....

It's bad compared to my Paperwhite and even worse if I compare to the Oasis.
Almamida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 01:41 PM   #70
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
PDFs and graphic novels are not real ebooks, they can need more screen and CPU. ...
Arsnt't you mixing format and content? Novels, coffe table (books), manga, graphic novels, ... are all books/ebooks.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 01:45 PM   #71
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanplan View Post
I noticed that the Sage has a significantly more powerful processor:
Quad Core @ 1.8 GHz

While the Libra 2 only lists:
1 GHz

I'd suspect this to be a 2 core device. This explains the difference in price for the Sage and the weight.
The major difference is weight is due to the 8" screen vs the 7" screen. Then the case of the Sage is larger. All of this leads to more weight.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 01:46 PM   #72
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
I mean it's pretty easy to ignore those features if you aren't interested. The Sage doesn't even come with the stylus in the box so it's not like you're really paying for a feature you'll never use. I don't use book highlighting yet every single ebook reader and app makes that insanely easy to trigger. I just ignore it and move on. Doesn't seem like Kobo is making eReaders for people that don't like to read, they are just making eReaders for people that also like to take handwritten notes (perhaps on things they read!). Now if they started making eReaders for watching Netflix and playing games I'd be more concerned.
Very well said.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 01:57 PM   #73
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Arsnt't you mixing format and content? Novels, coffe table (books), manga, graphic novels, ... are all books/ebooks.
He needs a justification for Kobo devices to suffice.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 03:57 PM   #74
E'lir
Seeker of stories.
E'lir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E'lir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E'lir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E'lir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E'lir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E'lir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E'lir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E'lir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E'lir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E'lir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E'lir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
The only thing giving me pause one the sage is the battery power and if the screen is indeed glass (as I'm somewhat clumsy and I wouldn't trust myself with a glass ereader).

If these worries are adressed in reviews then the only thing stopping me from getting a sage would be a new Clara with bluetooth and 32 gig memory.
E'lir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 04:24 PM   #75
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by E'lir View Post
The only thing giving me pause one the sage is the battery power and if the screen is indeed glass (as I'm somewhat clumsy and I wouldn't trust myself with a glass ereader).

If these worries are adressed in reviews then the only thing stopping me from getting a sage would be a new Clara with bluetooth and 32 gig memory.
Assuming you’re using an eink ereader now it’s probably got a glass screen, it’s important to note glass screen here really means the substrate which will be under some layers. On the Sage it’ll be under at least two layers, the light deflection layer which scatters the light from the LEDs across the screen, and a capacitive touch layer so it can respond to touch controls.

Ereaders with glass substrates can of course break but generally speaking you should be fine if it takes a fall. I’d wager that the biggest issue is leaving the reader in extreme cold and then exposing it to heat. So don’t leave it out in the car in cold temperatures for hours and then bring it next to a fire or radiator.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote