20-30 19 18.45%
30-40 22 21.36%
40-50 28 27.18%
60+ 34 33.01%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-25-2021, 01:06 AM   #46
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
-

My main complaint about kindles is the library management. Why when you sort by author do all the book titles show instead of being hidden under the author names and only visible if you select the author? In order to compress things I've had to make a collection for each author and sort by collection.
I thought they’d never do Series grouping, but now that they have, it seems reasonable to expect that they will do Author grouping, which has to be high on list of requested features.

I rarely sort by Author, but it would be useful for compressing the list when I do.\

Then they could take a crack at Genre/Subject grouping, though I think that would be a hard thing to get right. Audible app has this and it is a mess.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 01:08 AM   #47
Gandulf
Addict
Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4
1. It is currently the only eink device available to buy in this country.

2. You can read it in direct sunlight, but that's just eink.

3. Colour, hmm, that's as pointless as tits on a bull. I got an eink device for reading, so give me more control on margins, line hight etc.
Gandulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2021, 08:53 AM   #48
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I thought they’d never do Series grouping, but now that they have, it seems reasonable to expect that they will do Author grouping, which has to be high on list of requested features.

I rarely sort by Author, but it would be useful for compressing the list when I do.\

Then they could take a crack at Genre/Subject grouping, though I think that would be a hard thing to get right. Audible app has this and it is a mess.
But series grouping does not work for side loaded eBooks. So if you have say 2 eBooks you bought from the same series and one you side loaded then series is not accurate. Same thing would happen if Amazon added author grouping.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 11:17 AM   #49
Martyd
Zealot
Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard,nexus 7,Kindle Voyage
Probably the best thing I like is the ability to look up a word right from the text. How many times have I skipped over a word because I was too lazy to get my dictionary.
Martyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 05:09 PM   #50
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I have an Oasis and what I like best about it is never having to be pestered by lovers of paper books following me around constantly asking if they could smell my Kindle while I'm trying to read.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2021, 05:27 PM   #51
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I have an Oasis and what I like best about it is never having to be pestered by lovers of paper books following me around constantly asking if they could smell my Kindle while I'm trying to read.
Did you ever get anyone asking to smell the pBook you were Reading?
Old 02-11-2021, 05:29 PM   #52
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Seriously, I love everything about the Oasis, except for its Amazon Oasis cover. It adds too much weight and the edges are sharp and irritate my pinky finger.
Old 02-11-2021, 05:31 PM   #53
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Did you ever get anyone asking to smell the pBook you were Reading?
No, but I figure with all the people I've seen who claim they like paper books for their smell, I figure it's just a matter of time.
Old 02-11-2021, 05:34 PM   #54
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
I loved my Kindle for the generic reasons why I love eBooks over paper books, but have come to love my Kobo for even more reasons, which have all basically been stated already.

Meanwhile, my Kindle sits in a drawer to reserve its serial number (already stated), and the battery gets completely discharged, damaging any hope of long term preservation because I can't turn the stupid thing completely off (also already stated).

The one big benefit that the Kindle had over the Kobo, for me, was the much better selection of covers, especially high quality covers. My official Amazon cover that I have on my PW1 feels so much nicer than the cheap third party cover that I have for my Kobo (the best I could find), and don't even get me started on how bad the official Kobo covers are.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 05:44 PM   #55
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
[SNIP]...are you happy with the color of your kindle? would you like one in a color that's not available on amazon?...
I think a wider selection of colors would be great. One word of warning, though: Never, under any conditions, accept a pink Kindle. If one is sent to you by accident, send it back immediately. They're dangerous, as old timers could tell you.
Old 02-11-2021, 05:45 PM   #56
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
No, but I figure with all the people I've seen who claim they like paper books for their smell, I figure it's just a matter of time.
One thing I like about my H2O is it doesn't stink (er smell).
Old 02-11-2021, 10:40 PM   #57
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
One thing I like about my H2O is it doesn't stink (er smell).
Actually you can add whatever smell you prefer, and rinse it off at will. Cannot do this with a book.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 01:40 AM   #58
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
My wife picked up a book which was a total disaster in terms of the styling and was damn near unreadable. I've attached a screenshot of what it looks like on a PW with the narrow margins and medium spacing. I killed 10 minutes converting the in-line styles to a CSS stylesheet, cleaning up the font-family settings that seemed to be assuming I would be reading on a Windows computer, the large left/right margins, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_1.png
Views:	186
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	185360   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2.png
Views:	191
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	185361  

Last edited by DNSB; 02-12-2021 at 01:50 AM. Reason: Added after edit screenshot to go with the before
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 01:45 AM   #59
SatanicSaint
SatanicSaint began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 10th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
My wife picked up a book which was a total disaster in terms of the styling and was damn near unreadable. I've attached a screenshot of what it looks like on a PW with the narrow margins and medium spacing. I killed 10 minutes converting the in-line styles to a CSS stylesheet, cleaning up the font-family settings that seemed to be assuming I would be reading on a Windows computer, the large left/right margins, etc.
Is it a Project Gutenberg book?
SatanicSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 01:58 AM   #60
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by SatanicSaint View Post
Is it a Project Gutenberg book?
It wasn't from Gutenberg. It was a book ( B07CWFHFF3 ) which was on as a freebie. One of my wife's FB friends had recommended it to her. It seems to have a 4.5 star rating out of 154 reviews on amazon.ca.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
feedback/ideas/input?, kindle, paperwhite