20-30 19 18.45%
30-40 22 21.36%
40-50 28 27.18%
60+ 34 33.01%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-17-2021, 05:43 PM   #31
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
-when choosing an e-reader, what made you buy kindle?

I had a Kindle fire for years, but did not enjoy reading on it. Decided I wanted to get more into E-books and finally took the plunge on a Paperwhite to start out with. I had heard of them for years due to popularity.

-what is your favourite feature on your kindle? (intuitive interface, how easy it is to use, the size, no glare, its weight and so on)

I love the warm light feature and waterproof on Oasis 3 the best, as well as buttons. For all kindles overall I like the font changes, no glare outside, and ease of quickly ordering other series and the KU program.

- are you happy with the color of your kindle? would you like one in a color that's not available on amazon?

I think it's great when they offer other colors. The back of my Oasis 3 is the gold version. I personally prefer black when it's on the front so I would not buy other colors. I think the black makes the screen stand out without being distracting.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 11:15 PM   #32
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I have a Kobo Libra and I love it, but I still use and love my Kindle Oasis too. I don't really have a preference toward either brand and I guess I'm an exception in that, as most users here seem to prefer one or the other. If I could only have one of them, I would be happy with either one.
I suspect that your last sentence is the best advice for the vast majority of ereader users. That group probably includes very few of MobileRead's posters since as a group, we seem more interested in modifying our ereaders to make them fit our idiosyncratic ideas of how they should work.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2021, 07:09 AM   #33
lymimi
lymimi is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.lymimi is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.lymimi is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.lymimi is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.lymimi is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.lymimi is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.lymimi is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.lymimi is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.lymimi is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.lymimi is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.lymimi is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post

I had a Kindle fire for years, but did not enjoy reading on it. Decided I wanted to get more into E-books and finally took the plunge on a Paperwhite to start out with. I had heard of them for years due to popularity.

-what is your favourite feature on your kindle? (intuitive interface, how easy it is to use, the size, no glare, its weight and so on)

I love the warm light feature and waterproof on Oasis 3 the best, as well as buttons. For all kindles overall I like the font changes, no glare outside, and ease of quickly ordering other series and the KU program.

- are you happy with the color of your kindle? would you like one in a color that's not available on amazon?

I think it's great when they offer other colors. The back of my Oasis 3 is the gold version. I personally prefer black when it's on the front so I would not buy other colors. I think the black makes the screen stand out without being distracting.
Thank you for a very thorough answer!
lymimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 07:27 AM   #34
ZYX
ZYX began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
cauz kindle protect my eyes and it provides lots of books, it's a big library, isn't it? and it gives a lot of chances to design my own books. I can personlize it, that's the best part i think.
ZYX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 04:51 PM   #35
lymimi
lymimi is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.lymimi is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.lymimi is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.lymimi is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.lymimi is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.lymimi is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.lymimi is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.lymimi is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.lymimi is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.lymimi is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.lymimi is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZYX View Post
cauz kindle protect my eyes and it provides lots of books, it's a big library, isn't it? and it gives a lot of chances to design my own books. I can personlize it, that's the best part i think.
Thank you!
lymimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2021, 05:25 PM   #36
SatanicSaint
SatanicSaint began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 10th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by lymimi View Post
Even though I was aware of other e-readers like Nook and Kobo, I had never experience them before. I looked up Kobo's lineup briefly and was confused with what separated each model. Also noticed they were expensive and just dismissed buying them. Honestly, I should have looked into them properly before purchasing but I saw a refurbished Kindle PaperWhite 10th Gen on Amazon and that I'll be getting it in the next 2 days. That was important to me because I was really bored in the lockdown and wanted it fast.

Quote:
That I don't have to turn it on and go to the book to start reading. I just flip the cover and start reading where I left off. Not sure if that qualifies as a feature but I don't really care about features, I just use it for reading.

Quote:
I have a black one with the official black leather case. Honestly, couldn't care less about the colour. Especially since it's always in it's case anyway. But yeah would love a bottle green or a dark green official leather cover.

Also, I'm surprised to see the poll results and so few people in their twenties.

Last edited by SatanicSaint; 01-18-2021 at 05:27 PM.
SatanicSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 05:48 PM   #37
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by SatanicSaint View Post
I looked up Kobo's lineup briefly and was confused with what separated each model. Also noticed they were expensive and just dismissed buying them..
This surprises me. Where I live the Kobo Clara HD (the PW equivalent) is the same price as the PW, while the Libra (equivalent to the Oasis) is only 60% of the price of the Oasis. The one truly expensive Kobo is the Forma, an 8-inch reader which has no equivalent model in the Kindle range.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 06:21 PM   #38
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:

Also, I'm surprised to see the poll results and so few people in their twenties.
From my personal experience, most people in their twenties either read on their phones and tablets, or prefer paper books.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 07:07 PM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Even though I was aware of other e-readers like Nook and Kobo, I had never experience them before. I looked up Kobo's lineup briefly and was confused with what separated each model. Also noticed they were expensive and just dismissed buying them.
Expensive? Kindles are more expensive then Kobo. The Clara HD is cheaper then the PW4. The Libra H2O is cheaper then the Oasis 3 and the Forma is not much more then the Oasis 3. How does that make Kobo more expensive? This is for brand new units. Oh and if you want an ad-free Kindle, add more money to them.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 07:10 PM   #40
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
From my personal experience, most people in their twenties either read on their phones and tablets, or prefer paper books.
The odd thing about the poll is why they completely omitted the 50s, probably one of the age groups most likely to use e-readers
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 12:34 PM   #41
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
The forum format was more popular with older generations as a main source of online community. My son's generation (he's 19), he and his friends have never frequented forums for online community. I think that's an appeal for older ages. Not as a clear-cut rule, but overall. I've noticed this same on another large forum I used to frequent - we had teens, but only as a minority of the participants. This could be one reason the age is showing up the way it is.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 05:44 PM   #42
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Read the 4th message in this thread and you'll see what happened to the ages.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 03:11 AM   #43
SatanicSaint
SatanicSaint began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 10th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Expensive? Kindles are more expensive then Kobo. The Clara HD is cheaper then the PW4. The Libra H2O is cheaper then the Oasis 3 and the Forma is not much more then the Oasis 3. How does that make Kobo more expensive? This is for brand new units. Oh and if you want an ad-free Kindle, add more money to them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
This surprises me. Where I live the Kobo Clara HD (the PW equivalent) is the same price as the PW, while the Libra (equivalent to the Oasis) is only 60% of the price of the Oasis. The one truly expensive Kobo is the Forma, an 8-inch reader which has no equivalent model in the Kindle range.
I found it expensive because I was comparing a refurbished version of PaperWhite4 to a new version of Clara HD. I know that's not fair but the refurbished version of the Kobo was out of stock back then and I didn't want to spend that much money and was ok with a refurbished device. The refurbished PW4 cost me 80 bucks.
SatanicSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 07:43 AM   #44
jenieliser
Groupie
jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2019, Kobo Libra H2O
Why I bought I kindle : the Kindle store: Kindle unlimited, Kindle daily deals, and I use bing search rewards to get Amazon gift cards that I spend on Kindle books

Favorite feature : time remaining in chapter/book

Color : mine is black, I like it, I almost got a pink one but opted for black bc it's low key.

Last edited by jenieliser; 01-22-2021 at 07:44 AM. Reason: Typos
jenieliser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 06:55 PM   #45
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle

If you don't like the color of the reader go to decalgirl.com. Thousands of easy to apply skins. They make your reader beautiful and the glossy skins make it feel better to the touch and not as slippery or cold. My kindle is wearing an almond blossoms print which makes my kindle look like Chinese porcelain.

I'm not picky about fonts or line spacing so I don't care about customizing these.

My main complaint about kindles is the library management. Why when you sort by author do all the book titles show instead of being hidden under the author names and only visible if you select the author? In order to compress things I've had to make a collection for each author and sort by collection.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
feedback/ideas/input?, kindle, paperwhite