Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-09-2020, 05:59 PM   #1
asllearner
Enthusiast
asllearner began at the beginning.

Device: none
install linux version on High Sierra Mac

I have a high sierra mac (that for various reasons I won't upgrade) and I was hoping to install the linux version on it, so I could have the latest version installed. I am not so skilled with linux, and I imagine this is not a standard procedure, but nonetheless, I know that I did it once before many years ago on a different machine. But this time i am getting this output:

Code:
2020-07-10 06:15:02 URL:https://download.calibre-ebook.com/linux-installer.sh [31922/31922] -> "-" [1]
Using python executable: python
Installing to /opt/calibre
Downloading tarball signature securely...
Will download and install calibre-4.20.0-x86_64.txz 
                     Downloading calibre-4.20.0-x86_64.txz                      
100% [======================================================================]
                                                                                Downloaded 102256868 bytes 
Checking downloaded file integrity... 
Extracting files to /opt/calibre ...
Extracting application files... 
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
  File "<string>", line 800, in script_launch
  File "<string>", line 756, in main
  File "<string>", line 707, in run_installer
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 522, in call
    return Popen(*popenargs, **kwargs).wait()
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 710, in __init__
    errread, errwrite)
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 1335, in _execute_child
    raise child_exception
OSError: [Errno 8] Exec format error
I have Python 2.7.10. I know there are other dependencies

To run:
xdg-utils, wget, xz-utils

To install:
GLIBC 2.18 or higher and libstdc++.so.6.0.21

but I don't know how to check them or install them.

I assume that if I want to undo the failed install I can just delete the opt/calibre library.

Am I close or am I far??

Any assistance is heartily appreciated. Thanks in advance.
asllearner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 10:18 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You cannot run linux binaries on a mac, they have totally different binary formats.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2020, 12:11 PM   #3
asllearner
Enthusiast
asllearner began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thank you. That jogged my memory! What I had done before was run some kind of vm to do it. It might have been macports or fink. I will have to look into it. It was something along the lines given here. I remember doing some twiddling to xcode to get it. I think I had it working, though maybe I just tried and never got anywhere. But you pointed me in the right direction.

It was a stupid (but innocent) question so thank you sincerely for being kind and patient enough to answer it, as always. Calibre is great, and you have done a superhuman job with it, as everyone knows, and I am a happy camper.
asllearner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 12:59 PM   #4
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by asllearner View Post
Thank you. That jogged my memory! What I had done before was run some kind of vm to do it. It might have been macports or fink. I will have to look into it. It was something along the lines given here. I remember doing some twiddling to xcode to get it. I think I had it working, though maybe I just tried and never got anywhere. But you pointed me in the right direction.

It was a stupid (but innocent) question so thank you sincerely for being kind and patient enough to answer it, as always. Calibre is great, and you have done a superhuman job with it, as everyone knows, and I am a happy camper.
You probably can run windows portable calibre with wine.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install failed, linux, mac