Old 03-05-2020, 06:58 AM   #16
mand
Zealot
mand began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 7th gen; Kindle Keyboard; iRex iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
checking amazonforum may indicate if its a widespread issue
i don't see anything on page 1 of top questions..

https://www.amazonforum.com/s/topic/...dle-paperwhite
I found nothing like it, except one question a year or so ago where someone could only see the top half of the screen. And that was unsolved on the forum.
mand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 07:00 AM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
checking amazonforum may indicate if its a widespread issue
i don't see anything on page 1 of top questions..

https://www.amazonforum.com/s/topic/...dle-paperwhite
According to a post in that forum, it seems that a deregister and a reregister can solve the problem.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2020, 07:39 AM   #18
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
If you look at the screenshot, it's completely blank below the main toolbar. No way to even select filter and sort.

@merlin04
Can you try manually reinstalling the 5.12.4 firmware?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=GKMQC26VQQMM8XSW

If that doesn't fix things, I think only thing you can do is report to Amazon and wait for them to fix it.
They should post a smaller picture so people can see it Over half was Off my screen!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 11:09 AM   #19
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by mand View Post
Yes, they're all there in the Documents folder. That is, I presume that 3,259 items is all of them.
Various sources, including amazon, recommend against having too many items in the documents folder. You might try making some subfolders in documents and moving a few hundred books and corresponding .sdr folders into the subfolders.

Also, maybe toggle the filter settings a few times.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 11:43 AM   #20
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Various sources, including amazon, recommend against having too many items in the documents folder. You might try making some subfolders in documents and moving a few hundred books and corresponding .sdr folders into the subfolders.

Also, maybe toggle the filter settings a few times.
part of the reported problem is that filter options are also invisible, so they can't be toggled ?
do you have a source for amazon recommending against having too many documents. and how many is too many ?
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2020, 11:44 AM   #21
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
part of the reported problem is that filter options are also invisible, so they can't be toggled ?
do you have a source for amazon recommending against having too many documents. and how many is too many ?
That was actually discussed here a while back. Iirc, 1000-2000 is the limit per folder.

Edit:
Found the thread.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=315212

Last edited by ilovejedd; 03-05-2020 at 11:47 AM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 12:12 PM   #22
mand
Zealot

Quote:
That was actually discussed here a while back. Iirc, 1000-2000 is the limit per folder.

Edit:
Found the thread.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=315212
Just checking, you mean creating subfolders of the Documents folder (which I will do in Windows) - you're not referring to collections on the kindle?

If so, will the kindle still see the docs that are in the subfolders? Will it show that they're in subfolders? If so I wish i'd done this years ago!

I have always had this kind of number of items, can't help it, and the kindle is about half full according to Windows; in the past I've had trouble with it going really slow when too full, but never a problem like this. But I'll read that thread you link to (thank you!) and take its advice... once I can use the kindle again.

EDIT: That thread doesn't apply to me, as I understand it. I never upload to the kindle by physically connecting it. And I don't use Calibre.

Mostly I send samples (occasionally whole books!) from the Kindle store, but even more often, I zap webpages using Push to Kindle or SendtoReader, or sometimes I email PDFs to it.

Happy to be corrected if I'm misunderstanding.

Last edited by mand; 03-05-2020 at 12:24 PM.
Old 03-05-2020, 12:15 PM   #23
mand
Zealot

Quote:
If you look at the screenshot, it's completely blank below the main toolbar. No way to even select filter and sort.

@merlin04

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...MQC26VQQMM8XSW

If that doesn't fix things, I think only thing you can do is report to Amazon and wait for them to fix it.
... Just downloading it now, but how do I run it from my laptop? How do I tell it to work with the kindle instead of installing on the laptop?

Also, if the same problem recurs (which I expect, as it seems this update cause the problem), can I roll back and then prevent the kindle from updating itself?
Old 03-05-2020, 12:30 PM   #24
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Just checking, you mean creating subfolders of the Documents folder (which I will do in Windows) - you're not referring to collections on the kindle?

If so, will the kindle still see the docs that are in the subfolders? Will it show that they're in subfolders? If so I wish i'd done this years ago!
Yep, create subfolders inside the Documents folder so you don't have more than 2,000 direct children inside a folder.

The books will show as flat view when browsing on the Kindle, though.

Quote:
... Just downloading it now, but how do I run it from my laptop? How do I tell it to work with the kindle instead of installing on the laptop?

Also, if the same problem recurs (which I expect, as it seems this update cause the problem), can I roll back and then prevent the kindle from updating itself?
You don't run it on the laptop, you copy to the Kindle via USB.
  1. Copy the update_<your-device>_<version>.bin to the Kindle's USB root (top most directory where Documents is located). Safely eject after copying.
  2. On the Kindle, go to:

Menu (vertical ...) > Settings > Menu > Update Your Kindle

Alas, the Kindle doesn't allow downgrading the firmware (going from newer firmware version to older firmware version).
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 12:36 PM   #25
merlin04
merlin04 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3rd Gen
Quote:

@merlin04

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...MQC26VQQMM8XSW

I tried that already, and it didn't fix things. How should I report it to Amazon?
merlin04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 12:56 PM   #26
mand
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
According to a post in that forum, it seems that a deregister and a reregister can solve the problem.
Just tried that. It hasn't made any difference.
Old 03-05-2020, 01:17 PM   #27
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Looks like something others are dealing with. Looks like a deregister, then a reboot, then reregister is working for some. Found on the Amazon Forums:

Got the following email from kindle support and followed the directions. IT WORKED!

I'm sorry to hear that you are unable to get into your library on your device.

As a basic troubleshooting steps, I request you to deregister and re-register your device and try to download the books from the library.

To deregister your Kindle:

1. From the Home screen, tap the Menu icon, and then tap Settings.
2. Tap My Account, and then tap Deregister Device.
3. Tap Deregister again to confirm.

Then, restart your device:

1. Press and hold the Power button for 7 seconds until the Power dialog box appears.
2. Tap Restart.

To register your Kindle:

1. From the Home screen, tap the Menu icon, and then tap Settings.
2. Tap My Account.
3. Follow the onscreen instructions to register your device. If your Kindle has already been registered, select the option to deregister your device before entering your new registration information.

Use the onscreen keyboard to enter your Amazon username and password. If you are registering the device for the first time, you may be able to select "Set up Your Kindle" from the Home screen.

To access your Library:

1. Make sure your device is connected wirelessly.
2. From the Home screen, tap My Library, and then tap All.
3. Tap the item you wish to download to your device, and then tap Downloaded to return to your list of downloaded books.
The item will appear on the Downloaded tab automatically when the download is complete.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 02:17 AM   #28
diamante
piedra preciosa
diamante has a spectacular aura aboutdiamante has a spectacular aura aboutdiamante has a spectacular aura aboutdiamante has a spectacular aura aboutdiamante has a spectacular aura aboutdiamante has a spectacular aura aboutdiamante has a spectacular aura aboutdiamante has a spectacular aura aboutdiamante has a spectacular aura aboutdiamante has a spectacular aura aboutdiamante has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle Oasis 6", Kindle Voyage, Sony PRS-350, etc.
I suddenly had the same problem with my Kindle Voyage today, with the same firmware version (5.12.4, dated February 2020). After restarting several times to no avail, I followed the instructions above (deregistered, restarted, registered using the same Amazon account), and this did fix the problem. I was relieved to discover that my books and notes were not removed from the device, so content-wise I was able to pick up where I left off. The only other information I can add regarding this problem is that it seemed to be related somehow to the Home Screen View option, which I usually keep turned off. When I first noticed the blank home page, the only way I could get anything to display on the home page was to go into Settings - Device Options - Advanced Options - Home & Library, turn Home Screen View on and then restart. When the Voyage finished restarting I would get the home screen with all the suggestions and lists that I normally don't want to see. From this page I could open the last book I had been reading. However, if I scrolled down to the lower part of the home screen, it would then freeze. I could not scroll back to the top and, while the lower part remained visible, it was as good as having a blank page displayed--i.e. it didn't respond at all to any taps. What a weird bug!
diamante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 05:29 AM   #29
mand
Zealot

Aha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
Looks like something others are dealing with. Looks like a deregister, then a reboot, then reregister is working for some. Found on the Amazon Forums:

Got the following email from kindle support and followed the directions. IT WORKED!

I'm sorry to hear that you are unable to get into your library on your device.

As a basic troubleshooting steps, I request you to deregister and re-register your device and try to download the books from the library.
I had done the de-register/re-register thing, but hadn't restarted in between (which Amazon don't say). This time I did - and it did the trick!

Didn't even need to re-download anything, it's all there. Even samples! Thank goodness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamante View Post
I suddenly had the same problem with my Kindle Voyage today, with the same firmware version (5.12.4, dated February 2020). After restarting several times to no avail, I followed the instructions above (deregistered, restarted, registered using the same Amazon account), and this did fix the problem. I was relieved to discover that my books and notes were not removed from the device, so content-wise I was able to pick up where I left off. The only other information I can add regarding this problem is that it seemed to be related somehow to the Home Screen View option, which I usually keep turned off. When I first noticed the blank home page, the only way I could get anything to display on the home page was to go into Settings - Device Options - Advanced Options - Home & Library, turn Home Screen View on and then restart. When the Voyage finished restarting I would get the home screen with all the suggestions and lists that I normally don't want to see. From this page I could open the last book I had been reading. However, if I scrolled down to the lower part of the home screen, it would then freeze. I could not scroll back to the top and, while the lower part remained visible, it was as good as having a blank page displayed--i.e. it didn't respond at all to any taps. What a weird bug!
Hm. I wouldn't want to be "forced" into having home screen view on. Mind you, I'd already tried changing that option, and for me it didn't help. Very odd.

Anyway, I'm back to where I left off. And if it goes again before they fix this update, I know it's recoverable. Without being time-consuming, at that. WHAT a relief.

This is an official yabbadabbadoo situation.

Old 03-06-2020, 12:07 PM   #30
g_e_r_b_i_l
g_e_r_b_i_l began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Also success

I also ran into this problem spontaneously this week.

I thought that it was related to loading yet more books onto my Kindle because I've been having trouble for a while with collections @ ~990 books and ran into this problem after mailing new docs to my kindle...

Symptoms were "Your Library" not working.
After reboot either a blank page with control toolbar visible or 3 documents from the library visible depending upon what mode the home page is configured for.
Books could be accessed only by clicking a search suggestion. Search itself didn't return books.

I was just steeling myself to do a hard wipe when I found this forum post.
g_e_r_b_i_l is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
library error, paperwhite