Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-04-2020, 12:40 PM   #1
mand
Zealot
mand began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 7th gen; Kindle Keyboard; iRex iLiad
Help! Paperwhite library suddenly invisible

It was fine last time I looked at it, a couple of days ago. Today the library doesn't show at all - the "page template" is as usual, menus are there etc.

I restarted twice and then soft-reset, but it made no difference.

I can go into settings, Goodreads etc, but the content part of the screen is empty. No "No books found" message or similar, just blank. My software is up to date (5.12.4).

At first I could use the back button to return to where I'd been before - so my items are still on there. But after a while (I'm almost certain it wasn't after restarting), the back button just took me back to the same invisible library. And now it's taking me back to the store or wherever I was, as before. Either way doesn't help while I can't use the library.

I've searched but can't see any question like this.
mand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 01:49 PM   #2
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
If you connect your kindle to a computer over USB, does your computer see anything on the kindle?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2020, 03:14 PM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
That is pretty weird. A couple of things to try:

1. Toggle Home Screen View in Settings
2. Use Search to see if your books are in results
3. WiFi is on, yes? Sync?
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 05:32 PM   #4
mand
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
That is pretty weird. A couple of things to try:

1. Toggle Home Screen View in Settings
2. Use Search to see if your books are in results
3. WiFi is on, yes? Sync?
Good ideas! But no joy.
1. Made no difference;
2. The same blank screen, no list of hits but also no "Nothing found" message;
3. made no difference.
Old 03-04-2020, 05:35 PM   #5
mand
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
If you connect your kindle to a computer over USB, does your computer see anything on the kindle?
I'll do this tomorrow as I will have to search for a cable that works. I have a few cables but there's something up with my laptop's USB port, and it doesn't like showing my phone when I connect (though the same cables are fine for charging , and the port's fine for a mouse)... Can't stay awake tonight.

But I do think the items are still there, as the back button took me back into the last book i'd been reading before this happened.

Nice to be interesting, but as problems go, I'd far rather have a familiar one that everyone knew how to solve!
Advert
Old 03-04-2020, 05:39 PM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Deregister and re register?
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 11:55 PM   #7
merlin04
merlin04 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3rd Gen
I have this same issue:

Click image for larger version

Name:	1YLnuR.png
Views:	273
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	177527

My books do show up in search, and I can open them. I've tried multiple restarts and putting the firmware file onto the USB drive and pressing update, but nothing has worked. This started after the upgrade to 5.12.4.

Last edited by issybird; 03-05-2020 at 08:57 AM. Reason: Oversized image thumbnailed.
merlin04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 12:25 AM   #8
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Try ALL ITEMS ...
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 12:55 AM   #9
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
Try ALL ITEMS ...
If you look at the screenshot, it's completely blank below the main toolbar. No way to even select filter and sort.

@merlin04
Can you try manually reinstalling the 5.12.4 firmware?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...MQC26VQQMM8XSW

If that doesn't fix things, I think only thing you can do is report to Amazon and wait for them to fix it.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 03:25 AM   #10
mand
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Yes, they're all there in the Documents folder. That is, I presume that 3,259 items is all of them.
Old 03-05-2020, 03:27 AM   #11
mand
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Deregister and re register?
Would I lose all my samples that way? I read samples almost more than anything. I tend to keep them instead of a wishlist, rather like leaving browser tabs open instead of bookmarking - which lots of people do... If I lost my samples it would be quite a big deal.
Old 03-05-2020, 03:29 AM   #12
mand
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin04 View Post
I have this same issue:

<>

My books do show up in search, and I can open them. I've tried multiple restarts and putting the firmware file onto the USB drive and pressing update, but nothing has worked. This started after the upgrade to 5.12.4.
It's some comfort(?!) not to be unique after all! I'm not sure what you mean about the USB drive, but since it didn't work for you anyway, I won't worry about that.

Was the upgrade very recent? I didn't notice it happening, but this started for me only this week.
Old 03-05-2020, 03:31 AM   #13
mand
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
Try ALL ITEMS ...
That part of the menu isn't there. Oh sorry, ilovejedd has said that already.
Old 03-05-2020, 03:34 AM   #14
mand
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
If you look at the screenshot, it's completely blank below the main toolbar. No way to even select filter and sort.

@merlin04
Can you try manually reinstalling the 5.12.4 firmware?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...MQC26VQQMM8XSW

If that doesn't fix things, I think only thing you can do is report to Amazon and wait for them to fix it.
Thanks for the link, i'll give it a go - today if I have time. (My laptop and phone need some TLC too, all at the same time! )

Believe it or not I was hoping not to need to ask Amazon... {sigh}
Old 03-05-2020, 03:47 AM   #15
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by mand View Post

Believe it or not I was hoping not to need to ask Amazon... {sigh}
checking amazonforum may indicate if its a widespread issue
i don't see anything on page 1 of top questions..

https://www.amazonforum.com/s/topic/...dle-paperwhite
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
library error, paperwhite