Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-18-2019, 02:41 PM   #1
LectorQuestar
LectorQuestar began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Transferring mobi notes to new Kindle Paperwhite

I have used Calibre for several years to load .mobi format books on my Kindle Paperwhites. While reading some I have made notes and bookmarks, both, I believe, stored on the Kindle in .mbp1 and .mbs files in the <filename>.sdr folder.

Is there a way to preserve these notes an import to a new Paperwhite? This is done automatically for books purchased from Amazon, but not from .mobi books from other sources.

Searching this site has yielded no answers.
LectorQuestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 03:07 PM   #2
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Copying the .sdr folder along with the mobi file should do the trick.

Note, I think on newer models (or maybe it's just newer firmware versions), if your Kindle is registered, the mbp1 and mbs files may get a string added to the name e.g. <filename><some-weird-long-string>.mbp1

From observation, the weird string is a fixed value and I believe is tied to the registered account (same string is used on both my registered PW3 and PW4). You can install a batch file renamer utility to append this string to all your mbp1 and mbs files.

I recommend keeping a backup of your Kindle documents folder (including all .sdr folders and files inside it) on your computer to be safe. You can use something like FreeFileSync to keep the backup updated in case your current Paperwhite is still in active use.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2019, 10:59 AM   #3
LectorQuestar

Thanks for the excellent and very clear advice, ilovejedd! It worked like a charm, and I will follow your advice for backing up the \documents folder.

By the way, while I have your attention, do you know why the following situation is true. On this new Paperwhite, I went through my content list, checked a bunch, and sent them to the new Paperwhite via wifi. All good. Using Calibre I then transferred a lot of my .mobi books to the unit, via a cable. Again, no problem. (I may have done this in the opposite order.)

However, when I looked at my \documents folder of the Paperwhite, initially I did not see my Amazon books, though I knew they were there, having seen them on the table of contents, and examined some. Where were the?

Soon I found them all in \documents\Downloads\Items01\...

Why are they not in the top \documents folder, do you suppose?
Old 05-19-2019, 03:20 PM   #4
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LectorQuestar View Post
However, when I looked at my \documents folder of the Paperwhite, initially I did not see my Amazon books, though I knew they were there, having seen them on the table of contents, and examined some. Where were the?

Soon I found them all in \documents\Downloads\Items01\...

Why are they not in the top \documents folder, do you suppose?
From others' reports, that seems to be the case for all Kindles which use the "Android-ized" system layout.
Old 05-19-2019, 06:25 PM   #5
LectorQuestar

Thanks. That is for a Gen. 10 Paperwhite with the screen flush with the bezel
Advert
Old 05-19-2019, 06:29 PM   #6
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by LectorQuestar View Post
Thanks. That is for a Gen. 10 Paperwhite with the screen flush with the bezel
To be expected. I think Amazon started using the Android layout with either Kindle 8th Gen or Oasis 2 and the Paperwhite 10th gen was released after those.
Old 10-29-2020, 01:30 AM   #7
pippopelo
Connoisseur
pippopelo will become famous soon enoughpippopelo will become famous soon enoughpippopelo will become famous soon enoughpippopelo will become famous soon enoughpippopelo will become famous soon enoughpippopelo will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle 4th, Paperwhite 5th, Paperwhite 10th
Hi, yesterday I transfer manually all documents folder content of my Kindle 5th generation to a Kindle 10th generation, I copied all fils from Documents to Documents/download/items01, but I have a problem, all ebooks not have a origial cover.
pippopelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 09:06 AM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...90&postcount=2
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bookmarks, notes, paperwhite