Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-11-2021, 04:12 AM   #571
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by serdar0020 View Post
I know pdf's are not as popular here as they are with me[/img]
They definitely are with me! Reflow's not popular with me though.

Could it be you have it set to two columns when it's only one? That would explain why "The" and "Beggar" are being split up like that. It's in the right-most gear tab with reflow-related settings.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 11:02 AM   #572
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
The drop cap is probably confusing the reflow. I've seen it happen before (and I have a whole *one* test PDF file, so, phew, must not be that uncommon ^^).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2021, 11:57 AM   #573
serdar0020
Zealot
serdar0020 can extract oil from cheeseserdar0020 can extract oil from cheeseserdar0020 can extract oil from cheeseserdar0020 can extract oil from cheeseserdar0020 can extract oil from cheeseserdar0020 can extract oil from cheeseserdar0020 can extract oil from cheeseserdar0020 can extract oil from cheeseserdar0020 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo Aura One limited ed. 2017-32 GB + Kobo Clara 2E 2022
it was set at two columns, I don't know why, now it's ok, thanks a lot
serdar0020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 09:50 AM   #574
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serdar0020 View Post
it was set at two columns, I don't know why, now it's ok, thanks a lot
Two columns is the default. Perhaps it makes less sense now that we also have column zoom mode.

Usually two column mode also works fine with a single column, but sometimes it'll get confused a bit.

Conversely, it's not like two-column mode is perfect either with similar page spanning header interruptions even when there are two columns. It's a heuristic after all.
Old 05-28-2021, 08:46 AM   #575
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I decided to try KOReader just from curiosity (I don't read books in PDF format). Installation was very simple and easy thanks to the instructions in the first and second post. Many thanks!

(As to the KOReader itself, yes, it has tons of settings and I went through most of them, but no matter what I did, my hand-edited epubs still looked much better in the Kobo default reader. I didn't uninstall KOReader, though. Perhaps I'll need to read a PDF or two on my Kobo in the future, so it can wait its time.)
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2021, 03:29 PM   #576
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I decided to try KOReader just from curiosity (I don't read books in PDF format). Installation was very simple and easy thanks to the instructions in the first and second post. Many thanks!

(As to the KOReader itself, yes, it has tons of settings and I went through most of them, but no matter what I did, my hand-edited epubs still looked much better in the Kobo default reader. I didn't uninstall KOReader, though. Perhaps I'll need to read a PDF or two on my Kobo in the future, so it can wait its time.)
What about your hand-edited ePub looks better in RMSDK then it does in KOReader?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 05:29 PM   #577
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What about your hand-edited ePub looks better in RMSDK then it does in KOReader?
Word spacing (I justify text and disable hyphenation) and fonts mainly. When I add contrast and weight to a font in KOReader, it looks worse than the same font with added weight in RMSDK.

Also KOReader failed my ultimate test of large books, it crashed when trying to open the humongous Wheel of Time omnibus (almost 18 MB). Whereas both the kepub and epub default readers had no issues with it (other than RMSDK being incapable of searching for anything within it).
Old 05-28-2021, 07:32 PM   #578
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Word spacing (I justify text and disable hyphenation) and fonts mainly. When I add contrast and weight to a font in KOReader, it looks worse than the same font with added weight in RMSDK.

Also KOReader failed my ultimate test of large books, it crashed when trying to open the humongous Wheel of Time omnibus (almost 18 MB). Whereas both the kepub and epub default readers had no issues with it (other than RMSDK being incapable of searching for anything within it).
I find the word spacing in KOReader to work well. But I also have hyphenation on. The font is not a problem as I am using the weighted/hinted version of ChareInk.

I tried to find the Complete Wheel of Time at Overdrive and no go. So I'm unable to try it.
Old 05-28-2021, 11:47 PM   #579
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Quote:
Although I understand that it's hard to beat Adobe when it comes to font rendering, I'm mildly interested in what kind of fonts you've tried and with which kind of tricks . (Funnily enough, the more detailed weight class trickery is brand new in 2021.05. Feature's not for me, though, my fonts are all organically sourced and tweaked at font production time ;p).

I wouldn't mind more details about your word spacing woes, though, because that's something we can probably address more easily .

Quote:
Yeah, that, on the other hand, is perfectly "normal", that's the downside of the CRe approach vs. chunked renderers .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 03:26 AM   #580
Frenzie
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
I wouldn't mind more details about your word spacing woes, though, because that's something we can probably address more easily .
Unless I missed it crengine doesn't support the word-spacing property, but we do offer fine-grained manual control to the user.
Old 05-29-2021, 06:35 AM   #581
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

I'll try to make some screenshots.
Old 05-29-2021, 01:04 PM   #582
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Eh, I must have been tired when I tried KOReader for the first time (it was pretty late at night or rather early morning). I tried again in daylight now and actually the font looks about the same as in the default reader. Word spacing is still a bit worse, but the difference is now pretty insignificant, I fine-tuned it some more.

Actually the main reason I wanted to try KOReader is that as RMSDK is not capable of text searching in the Wheel of Time omnibus, I hoped KOReader would be. Unfortunately KOReader cannot load the book at all, so there goes that hope. Splitting the omnibus is not an option, as neither Kobo nor KOReader has global search (or has it?), so splitting would mean searching for a word or a character in every volume separately and there are 14 volumes in total. Nope.

So it seems using the kepub version of WoT is still the only option for that book. Or reading it on my Oasis (which I've mostly done so far).

I've added two photos, one with the default epub reader and the other with KOReader. They're very similar, seems to me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Default2.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	187402   Click image for larger version

Name:	KOReader3.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	187403  
Old 05-29-2021, 02:31 PM   #583
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I don't see the problem. They are very similar.

Last edited by JSWolf; 05-29-2021 at 02:38 PM.
Old 06-17-2021, 12:46 PM   #584
dash.
dash. can differentiate black from dark navy bluedash. can differentiate black from dark navy bluedash. can differentiate black from dark navy bluedash. can differentiate black from dark navy bluedash. can differentiate black from dark navy bluedash. can differentiate black from dark navy bluedash. can differentiate black from dark navy bluedash. can differentiate black from dark navy bluedash. can differentiate black from dark navy bluedash. can differentiate black from dark navy bluedash. can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Sony PRS-T2, Kobo H2O
Quote:

I've added two photos, one with the default epub reader and the other with KOReader. They're very similar, seems to me.
Now that's nitpicking...
dash. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 06:22 AM   #585
asheny
asheny began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Hopefully a simple question - I'm looking to sell my Aura HD after an upgrade to a Libra H2O - will doing a factory reset remove this install of KOReader/Plato/NickelMenu completely, or do I need to do anything else? Thank you.
asheny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kfmon, kobo, koreader, plato