Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-07-2021, 09:56 PM   #1
Dazed
Dazed began at the beginning.

Device: undecided
Completely overwhelmed with options

Current device: an old nexus 7 tablet thats barely hanging on has a regular LCD screen terrible battery life etc etc

Important features to me

Long battery life

Works with Calibre for sideloading books (for what I read it sounds like the newest kindles can be difficult with their new encrypted format? Not sure would have to dig deeper)

USB C so I dont have to carry around another cable

A nice crisp screen/fonts

Battery life

Not so important

Bluetooth I have phone for audiobooks/music

File formats, Calibre is usually pretty good at converting to whatever format I need

Would prefer buttons but can live without

I'm not super fussed with their store/ecosystem I'm fairly adapt at side loading books so I'm more interested in the device than their environment

Budget:

I'm less concerned with a hard cap and more with finding the best device for me Ideally I'd love to stay under 400$ but the right device at a little more could work

Models I've looked at

Kindle Paperwhite, the signature edition seems to have some neat things added to it (The light sensor seems really cool but probably isnt? I dont see to many reviews that mention it) 32 gigs of storage seems like it would last forever basically. This is the smallest size device I think I would consider I'd prefer a 7 or 8 inch has USB C which is nice no buttons

Boox Poke 3 device is only 6 inches so its fairly small as it is, also android based which I guess would be nice but honestly it never really made much of a difference since I only used it for reading from the kindle app or overdrive/side loaded books

Boox Nova Air this sucker has it all its the perfect size (7.8 inch) USB C downside is its still a full android tablet even though it runs e-ink I cant find much information about the battery life though their customer service apparently doesnt exist so if something goes wrong that could suck has side buttons in the form of a case

Kobo Sage Goodish size (8 inch maybe a touch large) USB C seems to work with a stylus that it doesnt come with (For notes? Not sure) has side buttons water proof which I guess could be handy just incase

Kobo Libra 2 : USB C Good size at 7 inches has buttons water proof this is certainly up there with the Nova Air for me

Onyx Boox Leaf: I've found next to nothing on this other than a review from goodereader which wasnt very detailed and didnt really discuss topics like battery life just that it has a 2000mah battery. Runs again on android which I'm not really sure if its a pro con or indifferent The pictures ive seen make it look super nice though and this and the air are certainly gorgeous devices I'm just not sure if they're the right ones for me or if something like the libra/sage/paperwhite would be better
Dazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 02:17 AM   #2
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Both the Sage and the Libra 2 also have 32GB storage. I went from a 7-inch Libra H2O to the 8-inch Sage and have not found it too big, but looking at your list, I's probably still recommend the Libra 2. A not insignificant cost saving too
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 08:20 AM   #3
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I'd also recommend the Sage or the Libra 2, especially if you're used to sideloading and Calibre. Android readers may be handy for non-sideloaders and library users, for you there's probably no advantage.

Edit: the battery life of the Sage is not good, so the Libra 2 would be better.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 10:27 AM   #4
LDB
Baker Street Irregular
LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PaperWhite 5, Aura One, Glowlight Plus, Scribe, Sage
I can't answer most of your questions but I've been a Kindle user for probably a decade. I got a Kobo Aura One and a Nook Glowlight Plus a while back just because I like new toys. I've recently started using the Kobo seriously and am liking it significantly more than my Oasis. At this moment I'd say the only thing Kindle has going for it is quantity of available books. I'm now debating a new Forma to save some weight and get buttons which I miss on the Aura One. Good luck with your decisions.
LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 01:40 PM   #5
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDB View Post
At this moment I'd say the only thing Kindle has going for it is quantity of available books.
I buy all of my books from Amazon and use the DeDRM plugin to remove the drm and then convert them to epub in calibre.

Oops, I keep forgetting that in order for that to work you need an existing Kindle.

Last edited by hobnail; 12-08-2021 at 01:49 PM.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 05:56 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
I buy all of my books from Amazon and use the DeDRM plugin to remove the drm and then convert them to epub in calibre.

Oops, I keep forgetting that in order for that to work you need an existing Kindle.
You only need the existing Kindle if you are planning on using Download and Transfer via USB. You can use K4PC or K4Mac as long as you avoid downloading KFX format.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 01:32 AM   #7
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
If you don't need the flexibility of Android and don't read PDF files, go with the Libra 2 (it has the best screen and page turn buttons and Kobo seems nice to use).

Whatever you do, don't go for the Nova Air. It has a pre-applied non-removable screen protector that seems to really decrease the contrast. It has lower contrast than the Nova 2/3, which is already lower than Kindle PW3. The Poke (and probably Leaf) have screens as good as the Kindle PW4 from the images I've seen - but all of those are worse than the Libra 2.

(See Nova Air screen comparison here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqKDdImVaFE)
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 01:01 PM   #8
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I would also recommend the Libra 2. It’s much cheaper than the Sage. A 7 inch screen is a nice size to read on.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 10:36 AM   #9
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Libra 2 was my first thought as well, but you haven't said where you live. I have a bias toward buying locally for easy returns should there be an issue, but you may not feel that way.

Are you interested in borrowing library ebooks, and if so, which borrowing system does your local library use?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 11:16 AM   #10
sheri2022
sheri2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sheri2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sheri2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sheri2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sheri2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sheri2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sheri2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sheri2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sheri2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sheri2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sheri2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Forma, Hisense A9
Although I got the Forma 8 inch, I would recommend Libra 2 for your case it checks all your needs but if you're like me want to sacrifice a few things (USB-C, older screen although Forma screen still great) to get 1 inch more of screen size and don't care about portability get the Forma not the Sage which have a terrible battery life from what I read.
sheri2022 is offline   Reply With Quote