Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-27-2020, 10:24 AM   #2821
tinoargentino
tinoargentino began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW1
Yeah, I though I might encounter that issue... I thought about making it run every 5 minutes so it will go whenever I'm reading, and be done with it...
tinoargentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 07:17 PM   #2822
tinoargentino
tinoargentino began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW1
Hi all.

I recently upgraded my jailbroken PW1 to v5.6.1.1 and I couldn't ssh after that, nor via USB cable nor via Wifi. The reason I wanted to update is to be able to sync the articles I send to my kindle by sending an email to my kindle address. This is my major use case for my Kindle so I can't afford not having this unfortunately.

Is this a known issue? Appreciate the help, once again!
tinoargentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 07:32 PM   #2823
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinoargentino View Post
Hi all.

I recently upgraded my jailbroken PW1 to v5.6.1.1 and I couldn't ssh after that, nor via USB cable nor via Wifi. The reason I wanted to update is to be able to sync the articles I send to my kindle by sending an email to my kindle address. This is my major use case for my Kindle so I can't afford not having this unfortunately.

Is this a known issue? Appreciate the help, once again!
Every time you update the update wipes out all the utilities that require jailbreak to use.

If you haven't installed the hotfix the jailbreak is also wiped out.

If you did install the hotfix before updating, you need to reinstall USBnetworking, etc.

Maybe you need to re-read the JB instructions which document the above.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 07:56 PM   #2824
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Specifically:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
As mentioned earlier, an official FW update will basically throw you back to the post-hotfix step: you'll basically have to reinstall anything that came bundled in a .bin, except for the hotfix/bridge itself.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 04:18 AM   #2825
dipeste
dipeste began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Hi. My kindle paperwhite 2 (2013) was updated by mistake from 5.10.3 to 5.12.2 and I have lost the jailbreak. Will the hotfix work to regain jailbreak?
dipeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 04:51 AM   #2826
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dipeste View Post
Hi. My kindle paperwhite 2 (2013) was updated by mistake from 5.10.3 to 5.12.2 and I have lost the jailbreak. Will the hotfix work to regain jailbreak?
Try this
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...3&postcount=26
hius07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 02:47 PM   #2827
kavilin
kavilin began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 8 gen
Update to 5.13.5 with JailBrake

Is it safe for jailbreak to upgrade system from 5.13.4 to 5.13.5 after using the last hotfix or should I wait a little while?
kavilin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 03:43 PM   #2828
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
It's a terrible idea, but nobody's complained so far (I think).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 05:05 AM   #2829
nancy_sparkz
nancy_sparkz began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Post Customer screensaver now available by default!!

hi all,

Just saw today that after 5.13.5 update , the option to select book cover as default screensaver is available in the settings.

FINALLYYYYYYYYYY

nancy_sparkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 11:39 AM   #2830
jollyblondgiant
jollyblondgiant began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch K5
Can't determine what I'm missing

Greetings, O Great Wizards and KindleMages:
I've been experiencing issues setting up my kindle as a raspi screen since June. Then, I was able to get set up with kterm and USBNetworking but couldn't resolve the ssh into the raspi. Last week i couldn't even ssh into my computer over USB from my kindle, nor into my raspi from my computer. I think it may have been an issue with the usb cable I was using (apparently some are only good for charging, not data?). In any case, I panicked and reset my device and then panicked some more. I have since re-installed the jailbreak and hotfix successfully.

I'm using a KT (B011 ...) running FW 5.3.7.3.

However, I'm having trouble installing KTerm or USBNetworking this time. When I launch KTerm from KUAL my kindle just returns to the home screen. I extracted the 'Update_usbnet_0.22.N_install_touch_pw.bin' file from the 'USBNetwork Hack' archive on NiluJe's snapshots post. When I copy that file over to and then eject my kindle, the 'Update Your Kindle' option remains grey and the .bin file is gone. I've made sure to re-read the install readmes a few times, and I'm still at a loss.
jollyblondgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 02:36 AM   #2831
rickspring
rickspring began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW1, PW2, PW3, Kobo Glo HD, Tolino Shine 1, Likebook P10
Jailbreak worked fine on PW1, but..

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Hello again

Like the title says, here's a FW 5.0.x - 5.4.4.2 JailBreak!

The payload is based on yifanlu's jailbreak, with a few tweaks to make it more Touch/PaperWhite centric,
and a fantastic new delivery method discovered by yossarian17. So, as always, thanks to everyone involved in Touch & PaperWhite hacking, particularly yifanlu, ixtab, geekmaster, eureka & yossarian17 .

In addition, this is also the home of the FW 5.x (KT/PW/PW2/KT2/KV/PW3/KOA/KT3) port of the USBNetwork hack .
Hi NiLuJe,

Thanks for posting this thread here and helping others to Jailbreak their Kindles. I jailbroke my Kindle Paperwhite (B024) with Firmware 5.3.3 and it worked perfectly. I installed the usbnet package too with sucess. The only problem i am facing is that the books synchronization from Amazon to the device isn´t working anymore. I am not able to download the books from amazon using the device (books located in the cloud). I suppose this is normal since i activated the option to block OTA updates. Is that supposed to work like this? Thanks in advance! Have a good day.
rickspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 09:55 AM   #2832
Jorvik
Jorvik began at the beginning.

Device: PW1
Sorry, wrong thread.

Last edited by Jorvik; 01-20-2022 at 10:00 AM.
Jorvik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 08:19 AM   #2833
lezioul
lezioul began at the beginning.

Hi everyone,

long story short, i want to use my paper white (first gen, 2012) as an Home Assistant Dashboard. So i have to JB it.
But it is running 5.6.1.1 FW, so.... am i screwed? Could it be downgraded? Or should i open it in order to JailBreak it? (btw, i didn't find any post/tutorial to do so on this forum but maybe i'm using the wrong key words in the search field)

Any help would be much appreciated!

Regards,
lezioul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 03:50 PM   #2834
lezioul
lezioul began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lezioul View Post
Hi everyone,

long story short, i want to use my paper white (first gen, 2012) as an Home Assistant Dashboard. So i have to JB it.
But it is running 5.6.1.1 FW, so.... am i screwed? Could it be downgraded? Or should i open it in order to JailBreak it? (btw, i didn't find any post/tutorial to do so on this forum but maybe i'm using the wrong key words in the search field)

Any help would be much appreciated!

Regards,
ok, found it : https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=267541
I'm trying the downgrade method right now. i'm already running 5.3.3 FW
lezioul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 11:17 AM   #2835
eldavo
eldavo began at the beginning.

Device: pw3 G090G1
Hi, I have a PW3 with 5.14.2 . I'm trying to get USBNetwork to work, but.. it doesn't ?
I'm on Windows. I expect to have a network device come up into the PC, expect it just doesn't. The adapter does not show up.
Yes, usbnet is enabled and sshd is up.

What am I doing wrong?
eldavo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5.1.0, 5.2.0, jailbreak, kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, touch