Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 11-12-2021, 01:06 PM   #1
jtreagan
jtreagan began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy
Using Jutoh -- Styles not working.

I'm using the Jutoh ebook formatting tool to prepare my book for publishing. It's a great program, but I can't seem to get the Styles feature to work correctly. I've gone through all the tutorials that are available "out there", followed them step by step, but when it comes to applying a style to a block of selected text, it just isn't working. Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks.
jtreagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 06:44 PM   #2
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I'm sure I looked at Jutoh at some point, but I can't find any notes about what I thought of it at the time. It certainly looks like an interesting product. Which, as you can tell, means I can't tell you how to use it.

Have you looked at the forum? See here: Google Groups anthemion-jutoh.

In particular I noticed this thread that talks about "I seem to have an issue with styles. Possibly since the last update. " So maybe the problem is new. The thread includes a few suggestions on what you might try.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 08:26 AM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I tried it and found it worse than Sigil or Calibre.

I use LO Writer (edit odt), extra Save As in docx, import to Calibre and convert to epub2. Any other formats from the epub2, so I delete the imported docx copy in Calibre.
Styles map perfectly to CSS.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 12:28 PM   #4
jtreagan
jtreagan began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy
Thank you, GMW. I have searched and searched for a Jutoh forum without any success. Never done a Google group before, but I'm signed up and it seems to work okay. I did find a topic that may help with my issue. Appreciate your help.

John
jtreagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 07:03 PM   #5
retiredbiker
Addict
retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Oasis, Ubuntu, Jutoh,Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtreagan View Post
but when it comes to applying a style to a block of selected text, it just isn't working. Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks.
Late to the party, I just tripped over this thread. I don't know what you're doing in detail, but I've made around a thousand epubs using Jutoh over the years and never, ever had a problem applying styles. I'm using 2.97.2 now on an Ubuntu box. Highlight text, bring up the styles pane, double click on a style, done.

I use it less now. Since I've learned to code html and css I mostly use LO Writer for text editing and Calibre Editor for final touch-up after conversion to epub.

BUT I still use it for some special very complicated cases where I need to go from epub to odt and the reverse with a large set of custom styles. It is the only thing I know that will get an epub into an odt (and vice versa) with exactly the same styling, including the style names.
retiredbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 10:46 AM   #6
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredbiker View Post
Late to the party, I just tripped over this thread. I don't know what you're doing in detail, but I've made around a thousand epubs using Jutoh over the years and never, ever had a problem applying styles. I'm using 2.97.2 now on an Ubuntu box. Highlight text, bring up the styles pane, double click on a style, done.

I use it less now. Since I've learned to code html and css I mostly use LO Writer for text editing and Calibre Editor for final touch-up after conversion to epub.

BUT I still use it for some special very complicated cases where I need to go from epub to odt and the reverse with a large set of custom styles. It is the only thing I know that will get an epub into an odt (and vice versa) with exactly the same styling, including the style names.
IDK. I admire Julian's work ethic and his efforts, but to me, it's kludgey. I mean, if you can write HTML and CSS, you don't need Jutoh and honestly, if you know how to use Headings and Styles, in Word or LO or OO or (insert word processor here), I don't see the need to use Jutoh, either.

I've used it. I've tested it. I've tested the newer versions, etc. At one point, (going back quite a ways, mind you) I considered using it to try to make both print and ebooks at once (making all the edits in one place) and when push came to shove, I ended up simply biting the bullet and continuing to do print layout in INDD and working that process instead. {shrug}. The advent of Wordsflow has made that process less painful, too.

Offered solely FWIW.

Hitch
Hitch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 11:45 AM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
I admire Julian's work ethic and his efforts, but to me, it's kludgey. I mean, if you can write HTML and CSS, you don't need Jutoh and honestly, if you know how to use Headings and Styles, in Word or LO or … I don't see the need to use Jutoh, either.

I've used it. I've tested it.
Agree 100% with all that. I tested it too. OTOH OO is dead. LO is OO rebranded and updated. Oracle trademarked the OO branding and wouldn't allow reuse.
Sigil is better if you want an alternative to Word/LO Writer and Calibre from docx. You do have to edit OO or LO in native odt and an extra Save AS for Calibre and Kovid confirms that's best, he'll not be updating the odt import to work as well as docx does.

I've used Word for Windows since 2.0a and OO/LO since it was Sun Office / Star Office. Started with Wordstar.

I've maintained & edited true server side web, HTML + CSS + early MS HTC +MS-SQL, then Java + Coldfusion + Oracle SQL apis, + javascript + HTML + CSS, sometimes all in one file. You'd not be able to pay me to do that or real programming ever again.

I can do CSS + HTML fine. Even PHP and javascript for my websites, but my preference is Styles in a Wordprocessor and not having to edit the CSS & HTML at all. If I needed fancy science / mathematics I might use LaTex and Sigil if LO Writer or MS Word didn't cut it.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebook formatting, jutoh