Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-01-2021, 04:26 PM   #16
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Not necessarily. There were also touchless basic Kindles with buttons, which were released in 2011 and 2012. I came to my Voyage from one of those, as I was not willing to give up buttons and so never got myself a touch-only Kindle.
The quoted post said Kindke keyboard. The post said keys not buttons. I'm sure that some people want keys, but I don't think that is the reason the Voyage was discountinued.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 02:35 AM   #17
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpops View Post
I also hope one day amazon release another voyage. The backlash from the haptic feedback was largely because users were coming off the back of kindle 3 keyboard i think and missed having real physical keys.

The voyage is by far the best i've seen, in terms of sharpness / contrast. does anything top it?
No. I have six e-readers, three Kobo’s and three kindles. Nothing has a better screen than the Voyage,
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 10:37 AM   #18
bookyboy
Addict
bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I forget - are the Voyage screens the best due to fewer layers or something?

It really is remarkable
bookyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 10:55 AM   #19
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookyboy View Post
I forget - are the Voyage screens the best due to fewer layers or something?

It really is remarkable
No fewer layers. But it has micro-etched glass or something like that.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 03:19 PM   #20
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
No fewer layers. But it has micro-etched glass or something like that.
Really unfortunate that Amazon chose to make the oasis premium by using a metal body, which just makes it heavier and less pleasant to the touch, rather than using the glass that voyage has.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 04:53 AM   #21
max99
Addict
max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Really unfortunate that Amazon chose to make the oasis premium by using a metal body, which just makes it heavier and less pleasant to the touch, rather than using the glass that voyage has.
Yes the micro etching disperses reflections. Prior to the flush screens the Kindles had bezels are were less reflective. The extra glass or plastic added to the newer Kindles is another layer on top of the eink panel. Perhaps there's a hefty manufacturing cost to micro etching. As far as I'm aware the Oasis doesn't have this which could explain why even it's screen isn't quite as good as the Voyage.
max99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 05:59 AM   #22
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
It's not hefty, but it’s extra cost. That's the main reason that so many tablets, phones and laptops have very shiny screens.

The secondary reason is that Marketing people think a shiny screen looks better in a photo, video and especially a shop. Brightness and contrast are set high. Also unrealistic saturated colours and high contrast images are used in advertising.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 11:34 PM   #23
cruff
cruff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cruff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cruff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cruff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cruff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cruff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cruff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cruff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cruff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cruff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cruff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by max99 View Post
Overall, I'm really impressed by the Voyage and enjoy reading on it way more. Couple of key points: ...
Well, you had a couple of couple of points , but I agree with every one of them. I'll put a new battery in my Voyage before I'd buy a new Kindle.
cruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 10:56 AM   #24
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruff View Post
Well, you had a couple of couple of points , but I agree with every one of them. I'll put a new battery in my Voyage before I'd buy a new Kindle.
The Voyage is supposed to be one of the two or three easiest Kindles ever when it comes to battery replacement.

I'm hanging onto my Voyage.

Voyages are forever!
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 09:06 PM   #25
bookyboy
Addict
bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
The Voyage is supposed to be one of the two or three easiest Kindles ever when it comes to battery replacement.

I'm hanging onto my Voyage.

Voyages are forever!
Agreed

May the "Voyage(s)" continue indefinitely!
bookyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 10:14 PM   #26
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Agreed. To me the most important part of the reader is its screen.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote