Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-04-2021, 09:37 PM   #1
chipmunks
chipmunks began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Sideloading Issue: eBooks showing up on Kindle Paperwhite device library but NOT on A

I was unsuccessful in troubleshooting my Kindle issues after spending 4 hours chatting with Amazon's customer service. I also searched all over the net but no dice. Would really appreciate your help.

What I'm working with:
  • Calibre Version 5.14
  • Kindle Paperwhite Firmware Version 5.13.4
  • Kindle device was previously registered to a different Amazon account, but
  • have since deregistered it and registered it to my new/current Amazon account.

Steps I've taken:
  • deregistered and re-registered kindle device
  • factory reset kindle device
  • enabled Whispersync (both on device and "Content and Devices" page)
  • ensure email address (gmail) is listed under “Approved Personal Document E-Mail List”
  • Files converted to mobi have [EBOK] personal doc tag

Issues:

Calibre “Send to Device” USB Transfer
  • azw3 = shows up on kindle device library (under “books”) but NOT on "Content and Devices" page (Calibre shows file being on the device)
  • mobi = shows up on kindle device library (under “books”) but NOT on "Content and Devices" page (Calibre shows file being on the device)
  • pdf = shows up on kindle device library (under “docs”) but NOT on "Content and Devices" page (Calibre shows file being on the device)

Calibre Connect/Share
  • mobi = does NOT show on BOTH kindle device library and my cd page (Calibre jobs window shows file was successfully “sent” but does NOT show file being on device)

Gmail Email Attachment
  • mobi, txt, pdf = shows up on kindle device library AND my cd page (under “docs”)

My biggest concern is being unable to use Calibre's USB transfer to sideload an azw3 file (since this is my preferred file type). I had no problem using Calibre's "Send to Device" to sideload azw3 files in the past, but I'm not sure what's happening now.
chipmunks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 05:11 AM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Sorry, but I don't understand what the issue is. Books sideloaded via USB have never been on My Content and Devices page, as Amazon has no way of knowing about them. You wrote that they did appear on the device itself?
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 05:30 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I don't get what the problem is or that there even is a problem.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 08:19 AM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Only books and magazines sold by Amazon are on your Amazon web page. This is how it's meant to work.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 11:13 AM   #5
CathyA
Zealot
CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CathyA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipmunks View Post
Issues:

Calibre “Send to Device” USB Transfer
  • azw3 = shows up on kindle device library (under “books”) but NOT on "Content and Devices" page (Calibre shows file being on the device)
  • mobi = shows up on kindle device library (under “books”) but NOT on "Content and Devices" page (Calibre shows file being on the device)
  • pdf = shows up on kindle device library (under “docs”) but NOT on "Content and Devices" page (Calibre shows file being on the device)

Calibre Connect/Share
  • mobi = does NOT show on BOTH kindle device library and my cd page (Calibre jobs window shows file was successfully “sent” but does NOT show file being on device)

Gmail Email Attachment
  • mobi, txt, pdf = shows up on kindle device library AND my cd page (under “docs”)
Everything except your Calibre Connect/Share issue is "working as designed". For that one, in Calibre, go to Preferences / Sharing books by email and see what you have setup.

If you want to send from Gmail, you will need to turn on 2-factor authentication in Gmail and use the Gmail feature to create an "app password" so that Calibre can bypass the 2-factor auth. Once you have that, the calibre settings are:
send email from = your gmail address
hostname = smtp.gmail.com
port = 587
username = your gmail address
password = the app password
encryption = TLS

This also works if you use the gmail feature to allow "less secure apps", but Google automatically turns that setting off if you don't use it for a while.

If you are using GMX to send the email from within Calibre, then you will have to login to the GMX account each time and respond to the confirmation email that Amazon will send you.

Quote:
My biggest concern is being unable to use Calibre's USB transfer to sideload an azw3 file (since this is my preferred file type). I had no problem using Calibre's "Send to Device" to sideload azw3 files in the past, but I'm not sure what's happening now.
I think you are misremembering how this used to work. Sideloaded files do not ever get uploaded to Amazon's cloud.
CathyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 06:00 PM   #6
chipmunks

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
Everything except your Calibre Connect/Share issue is "working as designed". For that one, in Calibre, go to Preferences / Sharing books by email and see what you have setup.

If you want to send from Gmail, you will need to turn on 2-factor authentication in Gmail and use the Gmail feature to create an "app password" so that Calibre can bypass the 2-factor auth. Once you have that, the calibre settings are:
send email from = your gmail address
hostname = smtp.gmail.com
port = 587
username = your gmail address
password = the app password
encryption = TLS

This also works if you use the gmail feature to allow "less secure apps", but Google automatically turns that setting off if you don't use it for a while.

If you are using GMX to send the email from within Calibre, then you will have to login to the GMX account each time and respond to the confirmation email that Amazon will send you.

I think you are misremembering how this used to work. Sideloaded files do not ever get uploaded to Amazon's cloud.
Ah yes, thank you for the detailed explanation! I was mistaken to think that sideloaded apps via USB shows up on my Content and Devices page/cloud. I followed your instructions and it now works! THANK YOU SO MUCH! I must've overlooked this part when I was setting up Calibre.
Old 04-05-2021, 06:01 PM   #7
chipmunks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I don't get what the problem is or that there even is a problem.
I was mistaken to think that files sideloaded via usb would appear in my cloud/Content and Devices pages. So the only actual issue was Calibre's Connect/Share was not working for me. However, I was able to fix it after following Cathy A's solution.
Old 04-06-2021, 04:04 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I was mistaken to think that files sideloaded via usb would appear in my cloud/Content and Devices pages. So the only actual issue was Calibre's Connect/Share was not working for me. However, I was able to fix it after following Cathy A's solution.
That's good news that you got your problem solved.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, paperwhite, sideload