20-30 19 18.45%
30-40 22 21.36%
40-50 28 27.18%
60+ 34 33.01%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-13-2021, 09:52 AM   #76
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What eBook(s) have you seen that were worse?

My one worse eBook was a an eBook where there were some errors in the CSS and because of this ADE tossed out the entire CSS and you got just defaults. I was able to fix it and then read it.
As I mentioned, there were the ones where the font was locked into something that was hard to read. (too faint, too elaborate, or both) There were also the ones where the line height was forced so that the lines were either too close together or too far apart. (too close is worse for my eyes) There was one where, for some unknown reason, the whole book was in italics.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 11:04 AM   #77
Chinook1544
Green Grass Newbie
Chinook1544 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
"... what made you buy kindle?"
Basically, when my old Nook ST finally gave up and died, the only eReader that I could actually touch and play with in the store before purchasing was a PW4. All other ereaders were just advertisements and, therefore for me, vaporware.

"...what is your favourite feature on your kindle?"
That it works and, thanks to Calibre, I can read to my heart's content on it.
Chinook1544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 06:33 AM   #78
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
As I mentioned, there were the ones where the font was locked into something that was hard to read. (too faint, too elaborate, or both) There were also the ones where the line height was forced so that the lines were either too close together or too far apart. (too close is worse for my eyes) There was one where, for some unknown reason, the whole book was in italics.

Shari
The only way I know of to reduce the line hight of a Kindle eBook is to do so with the metrics of the font being used. I do this with ChareInk and it works well with KF8. But for KFX, it doesn't work. Is there a way to reduce the line height for KFX by doing something with the code?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 08:23 AM   #79
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The only way I know of to reduce the line hight of a Kindle eBook is to do so with the metrics of the font being used. I do this with ChareInk and it works well with KF8. But for KFX, it doesn't work. Is there a way to reduce the line height for KFX by doing something with the code?
I have no idea how it was done--probably a custom font, as you said. It was a few years ago, and I don't think I've seen one like that since. In the past few years book formatting seems to be better, for the most part...at least in my experience (although I'm definitely not as picky about most formatting issues as many here are)

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 10:00 AM   #80
Gardenman
Wizard
Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350,Nook HD+, Kindle 2nd gen, kindle keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I loved my Kindle for the generic reasons why I love eBooks over paper books, but have come to love my Kobo for even more reasons, which have all basically been stated already.

Meanwhile, my Kindle sits in a drawer to reserve its serial number (already stated), and the battery gets completely discharged, damaging any hope of long term preservation because I can't turn the stupid thing completely off (also already stated).

The one big benefit that the Kindle had over the Kobo, for me, was the much better selection of covers, especially high quality covers. My official Amazon cover that I have on my PW1 feels so much nicer than the cheap third party cover that I have for my Kobo (the best I could find), and don't even get me started on how bad the official Kobo covers are.
Have you tried covers from Etsy. a lot of people there make covers.
Gardenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 02:58 PM   #81
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eures View Post
Onyx Boox Poke is definitely an option, but it pisses me off that Amazon kept the browser and made it worse. If the function of the Kindle was meant only to read ebooks, they would have removed it entirely. In an ebook reader the browser is used only to comfortably read Wikipedia and must be able to reduce, comfortably, the most complex pages to text. It doesn't have to compete with tablets. In this sense Boox Poke with Android is even exaggerated.
I thought the purpose of the browser was for when you clicked on one of the advertisements at the front or back of the book. In any event I keep the wifi off so it's a moot point for me.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 10:32 AM   #82
Eures
Connoisseur
Eures is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
I thought the purpose of the browser was for when you clicked on one of the advertisements at the front or back of the book. In any event I keep the wifi off so it's a moot point for me.
The purpose of the browser is obviously to navigate through the pages of the Amazon site to buy ebooks. But Amazon cannot pretend to limit the use of a universal tool such as the browser to its site, it would be too narrow a vision for a company, in fact, as universal as Amazon.
Eures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 02:20 PM   #83
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eures View Post
The purpose of the browser is obviously to navigate through the pages of the Amazon site to buy ebooks.
Well yes, that's a minor variation on what I was saying.

It's probably there for backwards compatibility; they thought it was a good idea when they added it way back when and now they're scratching their heads and wondering why they did that. Given how the UI is still the same lame deficient thing from way back then, that's what I'd guess. Once I got a Kobo my Kindle stays unused in a drawer; I'm always amazed at how glacially slow the UI advances on the Kindle. But I suspect that the browser on the Kobo isn't much better.

Last edited by hobnail; 02-19-2021 at 07:23 PM.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 06:58 PM   #84
Badcatalex
I draw.
Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1, K4B, KPW3, KOA3, KF7 (2019)
Long battery life, good prices, good hacking scene, rather impressive support for legacy devices, etc.
A lot. Oh and a screen that puts no strain on your eyes. My first one was a Paperwhite 2 (still have it but it needs a new screen and frame), and then I got a K4, then K1, and now a KT1. They're great devices and frankly there are so few companies that can match their quality and support.
Badcatalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 03:42 PM   #85
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
I love my Kindle because of screen quality, good OS (speaking for that with Jailbreak on my PW3 5.9.7), great store with comics and books, excellent support (not only for Kindles, though), being compact and very useful (to read 1000+ books in a volume of a single book on a 1500 mAh battery device is impressive anyways!)
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 11:05 AM   #86
avni
try this: :(){ :|:& };:
avni began at the beginning.

Device: Pw3 & Kindle Touch
i have a pw3
i love that there is no glare
the size is good
the old-old ui is great but it updated to 5.15.1.1 the jailbreaks gone it has a terrible ui i bareley use it now
avni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 01:56 PM   #87
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
With a horrible UI, walled-garden philosophy, ads/marketing, limitations with line-spacing, margins & personal font sizing (not just the few offered by AMZ) and lack of many other customizations, proprietary file format, forced updates, there is nothing to love.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 04:38 PM   #88
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Kindle is just one e-reader I have, I use it just to read Amazon ebooks. I have four kobo e-readers as well.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 10:23 PM   #89
fduniho
Addict
fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, DX, PW4, PW5, Scribe; Likebook Mars; Fire HD 8; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by lymimi View Post
-when choosing an e-reader, what made you buy kindle?
My first Kindle was a Kindle Touch, and I was upgrading from a Kobo 2, which had a very bad store, no touch screen, and preferential treatment for Kobo books. I think I mainly made the switch to Kindle because the Kobo store was terrible, and when I did get a Kindle, I found the Kindle store to be so much better. One thing that drew me in was that the Kindle store had Daily Deals, and this led me to buy many books for low prices. Since then, I have made use of the Kindle Owners' Lending Library (now defunct), Kindle Unlimited, and Prime Reading. Besides having lots of great deals, Kindle had some authors with books exclusive to Kindle, and I got into some of them.

Having already bought hundreds of Kindle books, and being a reader of various Kindle exclusive authors, I have been inclined to stick with devices that could read them, and these have mostly been Kindles. But I've bought new Kindles only when they had new features I wanted. I got a Kindle DX for its larger size, a Paperwhite 5 for finally combining warm lighting with a flat form factor, and a Scribe for being larger and more up-to-date than the DX. But before I got the Paperwhite 5, I got a Likebook Mars to also read Kindle books with warm lighting and a flat form factor.

Quote:
-what is your favourite feature on your kindle? (intuitive interface, how easy it is to use, the size, no glare, its weight and so on)
I have multiple Kindles with different features. I like that my Kindle Touch works better for books with lots of footnotes, and it lets me run active content. I like that the Paperwhite 5 has warm lighting, a comfortable reading size for novels, native support for custom fonts, and dark mode. I like that the Scribe has most of the same features as the Paperwhite 5 but is larger, which suits some books better, and supports dual columns in landscape mode. Of course, the most essential feature is the use of e-ink, but that feature merely separates ereaders from devices with LCD screens, and it's not unique to Kindle.

Quote:
- are you happy with the color of your kindle? would you like one in a color that's not available on amazon?
Most of my Kindles are black, and my Kindle Touch has a skin on it. Black seems to work well enough, and I keep all my Kindles in cases anyway. So, the color of the back cover is irrelevant to me. My Paperwhite 5 and my Scribe are both in colorful cases that both look very nice.
fduniho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 02:57 AM   #90
dreambeat
Enthusiast
dreambeat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreambeat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreambeat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreambeat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreambeat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreambeat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreambeat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreambeat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreambeat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreambeat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreambeat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Kobos Mini & Libra 2.
Quote:
what is your favourite feature on your kindle? (intuitive interface, how easy it is to use, the size, no glare, its weight and so on)
I don't use it much, but I like the hardware of the PW2: the weight makes it feel solid in my hand, and the screen and backlight have held up surprisingly well over the years. It still has the old UI, so I'd say the software is decent, too. I do prefer KOreader over the stock reader.

I've got a slowly-dying Kindle Keyboard that I sometimes use as a portable terminal for ssh. The terminal emulator and physical keyboard are definitely some of the best things about it.

Quote:
are you happy with the color of your kindle? would you like one in a color that's not available on amazon?
I suppose? I keep all my ereaders in cases, so the color of their backs isn't very important to me. I might be tempted by an ereader with colored bezels instead of just a colored back (so that the color could still be seen in a case), but it would take much more than that to get me to buy another kindle. I do like the grey of the Kindle Keyboard over the black of the PW2; I think it helps the screen's contrast feel better than it is since I'm not comparing the letters with the black bezel.
dreambeat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
feedback/ideas/input?, kindle, paperwhite