Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-26-2020, 01:51 PM   #1
doug2
doug2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite V2
Cool Unbricking w/ USB and Serial

Hello, I have been trying to unbrick a PW2 (S/N starts with 90D4). I was given this already bricked. I have cracked it open and attached wires to the serial pads and an adapter all set up and I am able to see everything happening in serial via picocom on a Linux desktop and I can send keystrokes and all. I was following this guide and using this fastboot.
Following the guide, everything is going good; I interrupt boot process and get into uboot. Then I run
Code:
bist fastboot
. Using the aforementioned fastboot, I run
Code:
./fastboot setvar bootmode diags
and it seems to work, the output is
Code:
setting 'bootmode' to 'diags'...
bootmode diags: 
finished. total time: 0.175s
then I
Code:
./fastboot reboot
The serial output during boot is here. I'm not sure why it doesn't boot into diags. However, using the python trick I can log in to root. Touchscreen is not responsive. Also, please direct me to any better resources for PW2 unbrick since the attached github guide seems 'unpolished'.

P.S. I want to ultimately do as much mod as possible to make the user experience better. So, I guess I will do jailbreak. Please LMK if this is the best course of action.
doug2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paperwhite, paperwhite 2, pw2, pw2 debricking, unbrick