Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-15-2010, 10:36 AM   #1
AndyPost
AndyPost began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Touch
Whats the best choice for bible study?

Hey Thrill Seekers,
I'm keen to get an ereader specifically for bible study. I've read complaints that the Kindle will have you turning one page at a time to move through large texts (like the bible??)

Is there a device out there that would lend itself to jumping to a particular book/chapter in the bible more than others?

OR

Is that more dependent on how the publisher sets up the file.

Then of course, I'd like to add a concordance, thus more searching needs.

All of them look pretty much the same for daily reading.

I'd love to hear the thoughts of more experienced ereaders. I'm also wanting to get one for my son for his next deployment, and need to sell the ebook concept with the same capabililties.

Thanks for your input....
AndyPost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 01:23 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You may wish to consider the Apple iPad. It has a number of bible apps which are a lot more sophisticated than simple eBooks.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2010, 02:54 PM   #3
AndyPost

Yeah, I did. But only for a short time. I'm looking for two, one for me, one for my son....then the two additional monthly charges.....
Old 06-15-2010, 02:55 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
What monthly charges are you referring to?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 03:24 PM   #5
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
A lot will depend on how the file is set up. The functions of the device will matter (especially if you want to make notes), and you'll want to find a digital bible that has the features that matter most to you.

Sounds like you're looking for:
  • Search ability
  • Annotations (maybe?)
  • Good indexing/table of contents (mostly matter of the file, not the device)
  • Quick skipping around
  • Bookmarking
If you don't care about making notes/annotations, you might look at the Jetbook or Jetbook Lite's features.

Otherwise, the Sony Touch or Kindle might work for you; they don't have quick page turning for flipping through lots of pages at once, but a good index will get around that need, and they do let you skip ahead/back many pages at once; it's just single-page flipthroughs that are slow.

I believe the Kindle doesn't have page counts; it has percentages.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2010, 05:17 PM   #6
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Are you looking for a convenient way to read the Bible straight through? Or using Bible as a reference? In other words, jumping from one verse to another?

Also, are you particular on which version of the Bible?
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 09:39 PM   #7
AndyPost

Data plan
Old 06-15-2010, 09:44 PM   #8
AndyPost

Elfwreck
Yes,
I'm looking for all the things in your list.
I would like to make annotations (for teaching class, notes to self etc)

Fbone
I'm generally not reading straight through, but jumping around
ESV Study Bible

HarryT
Unless I miss my guess, the iPad requires a dataplan for internet access
Old 06-15-2010, 09:52 PM   #9
tdmsu
Enthusiast
tdmsu began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova2
If you get the wifi Ipad, there is no dataplan, but you only have internet where you have wifi access.
I think if I get an Ipad I would only consider the wifi version to avoid the monthly data fees. I have an iPhone for when I need internet on the go using 3g.

I've used the ESV Study Bible on my iPhone, but the screen is very small and it is not useful for making lots of notes and such. I think the iPad may be just the thing in this case.

Good luck in your search!
tdmsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:35 PM   #10
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Try e-Sword. It's a Bible reader for computers which means you would have to have a netbook, a laptop, or an i-Pad to use it. However, one can download many versions of the Bible to use on it, many free and the others very inexpensive. It will do most of what you want and then some. You can keep Scripture attached study notes, do searches, and display up to 4 versions side by side for comparison. The price is right; free although they do request a donation.

Last edited by Lady Fitzgerald; 07-26-2010 at 12:45 AM.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:53 PM   #11
Dellaster
本の虫
Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle3, DXG, Fire · iPad, iPod
I think the enTourage eDGe would make a superb Bible study device. It's designed to be suited for academic uses.

Wouldn't be as hip and trendy as an iPad, however. (Note: I own both, like both, for different reasons.)
Dellaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:02 AM   #12
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
For serious study, I would not recommend an e-ink device. Too slow. I have the TNIV on my Sony, and it's fine for going to a passage and reading. But for jumping around much or annotating? Way too cumbersome. Paper is better.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:02 AM   #13
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
e-Sword allows jumping around and annotating but has to be used on a computer of some kind.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:12 AM   #14
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
For serious study, I would not recommend an e-ink device. Too slow. I have the TNIV on my Sony, and it's fine for going to a passage and reading. But for jumping around much or annotating? Way too cumbersome. Paper is better.
What he said.

A computer is doable too, if you can get the bible in a form where you can type in your own annotations. If you want something mobile, a cheap netbook or laptop would work better for this than any e-ink device.

If you're not reading straight through, the whole backlit debate should be a non-issue.

The only reason I could see for an e-ink device instead of a laptop/netbook is if you're going to be without access to power for a long time, say if you're doing missionary work somewhere remote. And in that case, you really can't beat paper.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:56 AM   #15
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma
Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Purple Astak Pocket Pro! :)
I agree with what others have said here... e-ink isn't the greatest for Bible study. It is a bit difficult to move around in the text. I bought an NIV for mine, and it used hyperlinks, which were so slow it locked up every time I used it. My netbook works great though, so when I want to read electronically, I use that. The best device I've had for Bible study would be my old Palm T/X. I bought Quickverse for it. I was able to jump around very easily, look up the commentary on any verse, take notes, highlight... it pretty much did everything it looks like you're looking for. Unfortunately they don't make them anymore, and as far as I know, the only way to get a Palm is as a phone. There might be other options though... do they still make pocket pc's? Something like that might work. I'd say you'll probably either want something with a touch screen, or a netbook. Oh, my Mom has an ipod, and she likes that pretty well to read her Bible. It would be a lot cheaper than an ipad, and more easily portable.

Good luck with your research, and decision! You'll have to let us know what you decide on!
Davimee is offline   Reply With Quote