Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 05-07-2009, 10:37 PM   #1
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
PMPs: M70 Plus | VX545HD - as Ebook Readers and More

My quest for more modernized LCD eBook readers is ongoing. I think I might have stumbled upon some decent devices for reading as well as watching videos and music. The main drawback is they only support TXT files. For many, that just isn't going to replace their eBook reader at all. For me, I think I can deal with it due to some of the other features and having a large, backlit screen. Yes, JSWolf, I said backlit. If you don't like it there are other threads... So without further ado, here are the devices I found.

Note for Nate: Both of these devices have a resolution of 800x480 and use the latest ChinaChip video processor. From what I understand, both of them have excellent screens. Let me know what you think, if that is high enough resolution, etc...

ChuWi M70 7" 8GB PMP - $129.50 plus free shipping
http://www.mp4nation.net/forum/viewt...hp?f=2&t=12634 (includes video review)

Onda VX545HD 5" 8/16/32GB PMP - Prices vary - $136.50 Free Shipping for 16GB
http://mp4nation.net/catalog/index.p...roducts_id=291

I can't decide which size I want just yet. I think I might go for the 7" device. The drawback for both of these is that there are better devices for reading ebooks than these. There are better devices (smaller with touch screens) for watching videos and listening to music. One of the unknown features is how good the video is on these devices. If you don't care about a fancy user interface or touch screen, these devices have VERY good video playback - better than most PMPs on the market right now.

So let me know what you think. I'm going to get one of these soon.
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:07 PM   #2
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

I think I'm going to order the 32GB VX545HD (5" 800x480 resolution) next week.
Advert
Old 05-13-2009, 10:21 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I just found this thread. Wait. Let me send you some info on a 7" device I've been thinking about. It runs WinCE 5, so you might be able to have Mobipocket and the least you will have is rtf, html, doc, ppt, txt.

The price for 1 unit is $170 through Western Union. The specs are pretty good.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:56 PM   #4
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews

OK I'll hold off. You haven't steered me wrong yet.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:50 PM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I'd like to buy one, but I am short of funds at the moment. Attached is a spec sheet and the invoice they sent to me. You should look at the JL730.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Folder.zip (213.6 KB, 300 views)
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2009, 12:30 AM   #6
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews

Will do - thanks again, Nate.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:00 AM   #7
madmaxmedia
Connoisseur
madmaxmedia will become famous soon enoughmadmaxmedia will become famous soon enoughmadmaxmedia will become famous soon enoughmadmaxmedia will become famous soon enoughmadmaxmedia will become famous soon enoughmadmaxmedia will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony CLIE TG50
Hey thanks for those links! I always read about these cheap PMP's from overseas and always wondered how much it would cost to buy them shipped to the USA. Some even have AAC support, which is hard to find in a lot of players here. I like their reviews too, seem like good, honest reviews.

The M70 looks pretty sweet. Huge screen, but pretty compact body.
madmaxmedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 02:14 AM   #8
madmaxmedia
Connoisseur
madmaxmedia will become famous soon enoughmadmaxmedia will become famous soon enoughmadmaxmedia will become famous soon enoughmadmaxmedia will become famous soon enoughmadmaxmedia will become famous soon enoughmadmaxmedia will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony CLIE TG50
I was browsing around MP4Nation.com forums, apparently there's an ebook reader program for the M70-

http://www.mp4nation.net/forum/viewt...12966&start=15

I have no idea how good it is, formats, etc. But I imagine people will post back on that thread with impressions.

EDIT- Judging by the name of the download, perhaps it is just a TXT file reader...

Last edited by madmaxmedia; 06-02-2009 at 02:20 AM.
madmaxmedia is offline   Reply With Quote