Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-09-2020, 03:00 PM   #61
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
We could also check by having two people who have the same book in their purchased content download it at the same time (to ensure same version), and remove the DRM with the same version of the tools, then compare hashes.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 04:48 PM   #62
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
We could also check by having two people who have the same book in their purchased content download it at the same time (to ensure same version), and remove the DRM with the same version of the tools, then compare hashes.
If the eBooks are ePub or KF8, you can use the Calibre editor to load one and compare it against the other and you'll see what the differences are if any.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2020, 04:39 PM   #63
fogice
Groupie
fogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I'm willing to be one of these people. Amazon has books that go on sale for free every day, we could grab one of those.

But I don't know how to "compare the hashes". So I'll send a deDRM'd book to whoever wants to do the hard part.
fogice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 04:47 PM   #64
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fogice View Post
I'm willing to be one of these people. Amazon has books that go on sale for free every day, we could grab one of those.

But I don't know how to "compare the hashes". So I'll send a deDRM'd book to whoever wants to do the hard part.
Yes, Kindle eBooks (KF8) do have a watermark in the OPF. It's very easy to remove if you want.

Last edited by JSWolf; 09-25-2020 at 07:44 AM.
Old 09-24-2020, 06:05 PM   #65
fogice
Groupie
fogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Yes, Kindle eBooks (KF9) do have a watermark in the OPF. It's very easy to remove if you want.
Ah. I didn't realize that someone had figured this out already. Was it discussed elsewhere on this board? My searching didn't find it, but I'm probably using the wrong terms.
fogice is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2020, 06:56 AM   #66
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Yes, Kindle eBooks (KF9) do have a watermark in the OPF. It's very easy to remove if you want.
I didn't realize that! Which ones are KF9 format? Is that a typo for KF8? Or is it a format that I didn't know about? Is there documentation somewhere on how to remove the watermark?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 07:18 AM   #67
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Two Kindlebooks downloaded (at the same time) and liberated by two different people will never be identical. There's no need to test that. Without extra processing, the metadata sections will differ. Period. And a lot of the "extra processing" that's available out there (for kindlebooks) tends to do its work in a brutish manner that strongly suggests a lack of knowledge (by the authors) RE the subtleties of the binary format they're attempting to pointlessly diddle.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 09-25-2020 at 07:29 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 07:39 AM   #68
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by fogice View Post
I know this was meant in the spirit of discovery, experimentation and all, but even so: please don't use the Mobileread forums to announce your intentions to violate copyright by sharing DeDRMed ebooks.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 07:44 AM   #69
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
I didn't realize that! Which ones are KF9 format? Is that a typo for KF8? Or is it a format that I didn't know about? Is there documentation somewhere on how to remove the watermark?

Shari
A typo for KF8. Sorry.
Old 09-25-2020, 07:46 AM   #70
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I do know how to remove the watermark from KF8 eBooks. But that is something not allowed to say here.
Old 09-25-2020, 08:07 AM   #71
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Ah, you know how to remove the watermarks you know about...

Personally, I'd be delighted if my purchased ebooks has a pretty 'Ex Libris' page with purchase details added by the store.

I really don't care if they have hidden identifying info.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote