Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-22-2020, 06:08 PM   #1
malachi22
malachi22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.malachi22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.malachi22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.malachi22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.malachi22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.malachi22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.malachi22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.malachi22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.malachi22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.malachi22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.malachi22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle 2nd gen
New(?) 4.3 inch ereader: B3404 ereader

Sorry if this is the wrong place for it, but I couldn't find another subforum that worked.

I was scrolling through aliexpress today and found this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000485692554.html

The BK3404 4.3 inch OED ereader.

There are multiple sellers with it for sale averaging between $45 and $60. It supposedly runs linux, has 512MB RAM, and 4 or 8GB of storage. There's only one substantial review with pictures on the site and it says it's super slow and has a poor russian translation for the menu. Also, the battery is horrendous apparently.

Has anyone gotten their hands on one to see what it's actually like? It seems like it might be a good pocketable device for reading on the go and I wouldn't feel bad if it accidentally was scratched.

Maybe some software patches could be made to increase the screen refresh speed, overclock the CPU or something.
malachi22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 06:31 PM   #2
azayn
Groupie
azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nova 3, Galaxy S22+, iPad
This looks like something from 10 years ago. It could be useful if it were an e-Ink phone case or synced with your phone somehow. As a standalone device, not very practical. Also, 4.3” is smaller than your average smartphone nowadays.
azayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2020, 06:39 PM   #3
malachi22
malachi22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.malachi22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.malachi22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.malachi22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.malachi22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.malachi22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.malachi22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.malachi22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.malachi22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.malachi22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.malachi22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azayn View Post
This looks like something from 10 years ago. It could be useful if it were an e-Ink phone case or synced with your phone somehow. As a standalone device, not very practical. Also, 4.3” is smaller than your average smartphone nowadays.
True, another thing is that there doesn't seem to be an SD Card slot either. So no expansion. Not a big deal, but not the best either.

I still think there's a use for it as there was a use case for the Kobo Mini. I wish there was a video showing its performance. Something like Koreader might be able to be optimized for it.
Old 09-22-2020, 08:10 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
This is from 2013. So it's old, slow, awful to use. Don't waste your money.

JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 09:09 PM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
The Resolution says it all. I would avoid this.

If you want an old, slow and undernourished ereader, then you should at least buy a brand name from that time period.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2020, 06:50 AM   #6
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
I still love my Kobo mini for reading on the go (always carry it with me) for a pocket-sized option. It looks like they can still be purchased on ebay for very reasonable prices.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 09:18 AM   #7
azayn
Groupie
azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
I still love my Kobo mini for reading on the go (always carry it with me) for a pocket-sized option. It looks like they can still be purchased on ebay for very reasonable prices.
Yep, still hanging on to mine even though the battery has weakened. It’s still more pocketable than any modern e-reader.

I wish they would make 5” readers again but it seems companies have settled on 6” as the absolute minimum screen size.
Old 09-23-2020, 09:27 AM   #8
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Yep, still hanging on to mine even though the battery has weakened. It’s still more pocketable than any modern e-reader.

I wish they would make 5” readers again but it seems companies have settled on 6” as the absolute minimum screen size.
I use my Mini as my beach reader; the battery is holding up remarkably well. However, between the bulbous bezels and the bulky OEM cover, a current 6” reader with slim cover is only marginally larger overall and thinner at that. I’d love to see a sleeker 5” reader with updated specs, but I know it’s not happening.

On topic: I see the appeal of this device. It’s about the same height as the Mini but significantly narrower, the resolution of roughly 232 ppl (if my arithmetic is correct) is quite nice and the page turns seem fast enough for my purposes. But a device that’s that old? Nope. It’s way overpriced.

Last edited by issybird; 09-23-2020 at 09:33 AM.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 10:03 AM   #9
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I use my Mini as my beach reader; the battery is holding up remarkably well. However, between the bulbous bezels and the bulky OEM cover, a current 6” reader with slim cover is only marginally larger overall and thinner at that. I’d love to see a sleeker 5” reader with updated specs, but I know it’s not happening.
I don't keep my mini in anything but a small, felt slipcover. I've not been to the beach in years, so no worries about sand for me. I have 112 short story collections and the Harvard Classics 365 day reading plan on the mini. I never have a big book going on it, but I can always grab a random story when I have time.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 10:29 AM   #10
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
I don't keep my mini in anything but a small, felt slipcover. I've not been to the beach in years, so no worries about sand for me. I have 112 short story collections and the Harvard Classics 365 day reading plan on the mini. I never have a big book going on it, but I can always grab a random story when I have time.
Pretty much the same here. I’ve got it loaded with light reading; the beach isn’t the place for the serious stuff.

Part of the reason it’s my beach reader is the size and in fact the bulky cover works in its favor as I just toss it in my bag without care, and the bright light at the beach means its relative murkiness doesn’t matter. But I’ll also say that another reason is that given its age and limitations, it wouldn’t break my heart if something happened to it. Better to sacrifice the Mini to the gods of salt water and sand than something else.

I’ve always loved the beach and this past summer it was pretty much the only place to go anyway. My two usual swimming options were closed for the duration. (The ocean’s too cold for much swimming here.)
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 11:11 AM   #11
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by malachi22 View Post
Sorry if this is the wrong place for it, but I couldn't find another subforum that worked.

I was scrolling through aliexpress today and found this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000485692554.html

The BK3404 4.3 inch OED ereader. ...
There was a fairly recent (late May) write-up on these at eBook Reader.

https://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/20...-up-on-amazon/

These are basically slighty updated Trekstor Pyrus Minis (or Liro Minis) without the microSD slot and with more operating RAM and more storage (and no bright colors). I think, in addition to 4 and 8 GB editions, you can also buy a 16 GB version.

Here's a review on the Trekstor Pyro Mini. 800x600 on a 4.3" screen comes out to 230 dpi — so I really wouldn't call that "low resolution."

https://www.the-ebook-reader.com/pyrus-mini.html

The size of the thing is the real selling point for me. Having to buy one from China and wait 2 months for it is probably reason I haven't tried one. And, BTW, it's a BK4304 — the 3 and the 4 were transposed (in case someone is doing a Google search for one of these).

EDIT: If you read the comments at the end of the May 26 eBook Reader write-up, you'll find a couple posts (with pictures) from someone who bought one of these. His does have a microSD slot. (His also had a Liro Mini stand-by screen.)

Last edited by rcentros; 09-23-2020 at 11:32 AM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 11:16 AM   #12
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
... Also, 4.3” is smaller than your average smartphone nowadays.
Which is the attraction to me.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 11:38 AM   #13
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Available via Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/4-3Inch-BK-43...4R21T03GZAHRM1
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 01:10 PM   #14
malachi22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
I'd rather pay $45 for 1.5 months of shipping than $75 for this thing :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
There was a fairly recent (late May) write-up on these at eBook Reader.

https://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/20...-up-on-amazon/

These are basically slighty updated Trekstor Pyrus Minis (or Liro Minis) without the microSD slot and with more operating RAM and more storage (and no bright colors). I think, in addition to 4 and 8 GB editions, you can also buy a 16 GB version.

Here's a review on the Trekstor Pyro Mini. 800x600 on a 4.3" screen comes out to 230 dpi — so I really wouldn't call that "low resolution."

https://www.the-ebook-reader.com/pyrus-mini.html

The size of the thing is the real selling point for me. Having to buy one from China and wait 2 months for it is probably reason I haven't tried one. And, BTW, it's a BK4304 — the 3 and the 4 were transposed (in case someone is doing a Google search for one of these).

EDIT: If you read the comments at the end of the May 26 eBook Reader write-up, you'll find a couple posts (with pictures) from someone who bought one of these. His does have a microSD slot. (His also had a Liro Mini stand-by screen.)
Wow! Thanks for finding that! It seems like most of the issues aren't actually with the hardware, but with the software. Maybe a reader like the Koreader could fix that.

Also, comparing this to the hisense a5 is wrong. That's a $200 device, this is less than $50
Old 09-23-2020, 01:50 PM   #15
azayn
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
Nearly the price of a Kindle Basic. Also, the dimensions for such a tiny device are ridiculous. Larger than my Kobo Mini with a smaller screen. At 210g is heavier than a Kindle Paperwhite.