Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-22-2015, 08:23 PM   #106
kocoman
Connoisseur
kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.kocoman solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser s View Post
Firmware update. Hi guys, I just got my update today and so far I'm enjoying the additional features.

1) Disabling gestures - I sometimes read using my finger as a pacer so I would inadvertently swipe the page. Thankfully this fixes that.
2) Zoom - You can now write on the page while zoomed in.
3) New toolbar
  • The best fix they made on this is the added "go to page" tool. This should have been there since the beginning in my opinion, but I'm glad it's now here.
  • The new toolbar is now either on the left-hand side of the page (by default). This can be moved to the right side of the page in settings or hidden if needed.
  • Tab list is now fixed onto the toolbar. A quick tap/press brings up all your tabs which can be helpful when you have more than 3 open.
  • Smoothening of handwriting seems to work much faster now too. It doesn't seem to take as long before smoothening (the pixelations on) whatever you write anymore.

These are the ones I've come across so far and have enjoyed.

On the downside, I've noticed that consecutive highlighting seems to be troublesome when using the pen button. It would end up inaccurately selecting a different text and bringing up the "highlight | search | google" option. For now, I'm bearing with it since I'm enjoying the other added features.
english or japanese version or both? thx
kocoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 02:35 AM   #107
kaiser s
kaiser s is faster than slow light.kaiser s is faster than slow light.kaiser s is faster than slow light.kaiser s is faster than slow light.kaiser s is faster than slow light.kaiser s is faster than slow light.kaiser s is faster than slow light.kaiser s is faster than slow light.kaiser s is faster than slow light.kaiser s is faster than slow light.kaiser s is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Sony DPT-S1
English
kaiser s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2015, 07:07 PM   #108
glim
glim began at the beginning.

Device: DPT-s1
Detached stylus holder (not re-attachable)

[QUOTE=kaiser s;2922231][LIST][*]Be aware of what other things are in your suitcase/bag when carrying the device with the pen-clip attached. My clip got permanently dislodged after a day of carrying it inside a laptop bag with my laptop and a book inside. Some anchor attached to the clip got broken so it would not re-attach to the device anymore despite following the instructions in the manual.

Hi Kaiser s: I've had the exact same problem after carrying around the device in my bag on the first day of my actually using it

Since shipping back and forth to the US is an enormous hassle and there is no tech support in Europe for this device (am from the NL), I am curious as to how you fixed this? Could you just glue it back on?

Would appreciate any tips!
glim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 12:30 PM   #109
Alexey.deep
Alexey.deep began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Digital Paper
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by glim View Post
hi! there replacement part in sony store
http://www.worldox.com/pages/product...ccessories.pdf

Two questions from me --

solved - provide not empty folder;
1. What is "Destination Folder" for BOX.COM DAV settings? How to fix that error?(1.3 firmware)

2. What is "Solution server" in Server settings?
What for? No info in recent manual.

Last edited by Alexey.deep; 01-26-2015 at 12:09 PM.
Alexey.deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 08:57 PM   #110
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Alexey.deep:

You continue to violate our posting guidelines for image size.

You've done this two times, so now I've deleted your post.

Here's what you need to do:

1) TURN ON your PM, so that I can PM you. (This is the reason for my post here: We can't reach you.)

2) READ and FOLLOW our Posting Guidelines for images. You will find a link to them at the bottom of EVERY page.

Don
(Moderator)

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-24-2015 at 08:59 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2015, 09:36 PM   #111
Alexey.deep

Smile

Last edited by Alexey.deep; 01-26-2015 at 12:08 PM.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:09 AM   #112
T.W.G
Connoisseur
T.W.G is a glorious beacon of lightT.W.G is a glorious beacon of lightT.W.G is a glorious beacon of lightT.W.G is a glorious beacon of lightT.W.G is a glorious beacon of lightT.W.G is a glorious beacon of lightT.W.G is a glorious beacon of lightT.W.G is a glorious beacon of lightT.W.G is a glorious beacon of lightT.W.G is a glorious beacon of lightT.W.G is a glorious beacon of light

Device: prs-505
[QUOTE=glim;3031990]
Quote:
[LIST][*]Be aware of what other things are in your suitcase/bag when carrying the device with the pen-clip attached. My clip got permanently dislodged after a day of carrying it inside a laptop bag with my laptop and a book inside. Some anchor attached to the clip got broken so it would not re-attach to the device anymore despite following the instructions in the manual.
Quote:

Hi Kaiser s: I've had the exact same problem after carrying around the device in my bag on the first day of my actually using it

Since shipping back and forth to the US is an enormous hassle and there is no tech support in Europe for this device (am from the NL), I am curious as to how you fixed this? Could you just glue it back on?

Hi Glim,

How did you manage to import the Sony to the NL? We are somehow Neighbours as I live adjacent to you: in Germany. ;-)
T.W.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 07:42 AM   #113
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

TURNING ON YOUR PM:

Alexey.deep -

1) Go to 'User CP' [Top of your screen]
2) Go to 'Settings & Options'
3) Go to 'Edit Options'
4) Click 'Enable Private Messaging'

And last: Read our Posting Guidelines, so that you fully understand your responsibilities when using Mobileread.

Don
(Moderator)
Old 01-26-2015, 07:40 AM   #114
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

You've now successfully turned on your messaging.

If you have suggestions for Mobileread, please create a thread in the FEEDBACK Forum.

Ok - now back to the topic of this thread, please.

Don
(Moderator)
Old 01-26-2015, 10:18 AM   #115
Alexey.deep

Ok =) Thank you!

Few more questions for community!

1) What kind of cleaning solution can we use for PPT-S1 touchscreen surface?

2) Is there any chance to see DAV Sync log on device? What file name requrements for device filesystem? (FAT?) Suddnely i dont know what file to rename on my cloud folder.

I3) Is anybody succeeded in "Test mode" boot-up?
Old 01-26-2015, 10:27 AM   #116
Alexey.deep

[QUOTE=T.W.G;3032679]
Quote:
Originally Posted by glim View Post
[I]
Hi Glim,

How did you manage to import the Sony to the NL? We are somehow Neighbours as I live adjacent to you: in Germany. ;-)
I have recently recieved from ebay via Shipito 980+15+65= 1060 for me + 1 month of waiting .

1) You can ask your freind from USA

2) You can order debit card Payoneer(or virtual http://www.listsandyou.com/2013/03/1...-card-vcc.html), for example, and try to use it on sony.com store with Shipito address(they also have one without tax)
Old 01-26-2015, 10:50 AM   #117
FelisNiveus
FelisNiveus began at the beginning.

Device: Sony DPT-S1, Kindle PW, Kindle DX
[QUOTE=glim;3031990]
Quote:
[LIST][*]Be aware of what other things are in your suitcase/bag when carrying the device with the pen-clip attached. My clip got permanently dislodged after a day of carrying it inside a laptop bag with my laptop and a book inside. Some anchor attached to the clip got broken so it would not re-attach to the device anymore despite following the instructions in the manual.
Quote:

I managed to tear off my pen loop too and fixed it.

The loop is in two parts. One is the loop itself and the other is the plastic clip that attaches the loop to the frame. If the loop and clip stay together when it detaches, you're in pretty good shape. All you have to do is push it straight back in.

If your luck is as bad as mine, the clip is still attached to the frame and just the loop has come off. To fix, you'll need to pull the clip out, glue it back on the loop and put the whole thing back in.

If your luck is really bad, the clip itself is broken and you're pretty much stuck with ordering a replacement.

If you can see a plastic tab sticking out of the machine, it can be fixed. Besides the plastic tab you can see, the clip has a C-shaped section that attaches to a thin metal rod inside the frame. Basically it's a cylinder with a section missing down its length. I pulled the clip out by grasping one end of the tab with a needle-nosed plier and easing out one corner of the clip until the whole clip came out.

Once it is out, a little super glue reattaches the clip and loop. Push it straight into to socket in the frame, and you are done. In the troubleshooting section of the manual there is a picture showing how to insert the loop back into the frame.

Last edited by FelisNiveus; 01-26-2015 at 10:59 AM.
FelisNiveus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 06:39 PM   #118
Dmirish
Dmirish began at the beginning.

Device: Dpts1
I have my unit for about 2 weeks and going well enough, syncing with box.com is a bit clunky as I find I need to start notes from documents and the online folder rather than direct from notes. Otherwise it works ok, but I'd really prefer direct syncing with Evernote.

I've also found that if you send the notes onward some people can't see the annotations or writing on the notes, you may need to repair and flatten the odd before sending them onward which is a bit hit and miss. This may be a box.com issue though I'm not sure.

Has anyone sourced a better case for the unit? I find the sleeve quite flimsy and not suitable for such a costly device (especially getting one to Ireland!)

Last edited by Dmirish; 01-30-2015 at 06:41 PM.
Dmirish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 05:17 AM   #119
chrvi
chrvi began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Digital Paper 13"
What about other A4 size e-readers

Hi,

this has been quite a long and sad thread with lots of desperate thoughts "Why can't I buy the Sony reader for a "reasonable price", especially if I'm from Europe?".
Well, aren't there any (perhaps better) alternatives?
Recently, I read some brief articles about PocketBook CAD Reader Flex and I was surpriced it should be theoretically for about half the price Sony wants for their DPT-S1.
What do you guys think?
Although the PocketBook's e-reader should have been ready by the end of 2014 I haven't found any references for this product to be ready for sale yet. Nevertheless, you may be much better informed than I am.
I wonder whether we shouldn't be rather waiting expectingly for the PocketBook's new ereader instead of hoping for Sony to start selling their product in Europe (and for an affordable price).
chrvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 10:02 AM   #120
asdfffdsa
asdfffdsa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!asdfffdsa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!asdfffdsa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!asdfffdsa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!asdfffdsa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!asdfffdsa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!asdfffdsa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!asdfffdsa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!asdfffdsa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!asdfffdsa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!asdfffdsa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: not sharing
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrvi View Post
Hi,

this has been quite a long and sad thread with lots of desperate thoughts "Why can't I buy the Sony reader for a "reasonable price", especially if I'm from Europe?".
Well, aren't there any (perhaps better) alternatives?
Recently, I read some brief articles about PocketBook CAD Reader Flex and I was surpriced it should be theoretically for about half the price Sony wants for their DPT-S1.
What do you guys think?
Although the PocketBook's e-reader should have been ready by the end of 2014 I haven't found any references for this product to be ready for sale yet. Nevertheless, you may be much better informed than I am.
I wonder whether we shouldn't be rather waiting expectingly for the PocketBook's new ereader instead of hoping for Sony to start selling their product in Europe (and for an affordable price).

Although I'm not in Europe, I was hoping (as I think many other people here were) for a cheaper Pocketbook CAD Reader and a late 2014 / early 2015 release, but the post at the following link kind of dashed our hopes. It's looking like they doubled the price and its release is another ~4 months out. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...32#post3022432

Still, compared to the DPT-S1's gimped software, it'll be running Android and have access to the Play Store.
asdfffdsa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crop, croppdf