Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-01-2013, 11:52 AM   #121
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noritje View Post
Hahaha, you got everyone in sweat there mister!

I am from the Kobo forum and has been thinking of getting a Kindle since PW1 but decided to get Kobo Glo instead because of the color blob patchy issue. I actually waiting for the exchange of the new Kobo Aura now, screen is so disappointing, sigh (which is weird since they have done it right before).

It's so hard (and expensive) to get Kindle at where I live but seemed like I might get it this time nonetheless (life is short, eh?), the screen is so good (which I have to say it should be this the first time..)

I am so envious of you guys who already got it or will get it soon. *green*
A Dutch MR user buys Kindles on amazon.de and gets them delivered to a German Packstation (locker). If you live close enough to the German border, it may be a possibility for you.
I know someone else from the NL said it did not work with Kindles, then afterwards someone else from the NL said it does work. May be worth looking into...
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:52 AM   #122
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwarbles View Post
No, that was just the flash on my iPhone, Ignore that and look at the rest of the pictures, which are true to life. It truly is a whiter screen on my original.
Uh, no...Never use a flash when taking photos of eInk readers as that destroys the integrity of the photo. A flash not only illuminates the screens, it also causes glare on the glass and plastic.
Advert
Old 10-01-2013, 12:02 PM   #123
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
No, that was just the flash on my iPhone, Ignore that and look at the rest of the pictures, which are true to life. It truly is a whiter screen on my original.
So which screen is the better one then, if the original PW1 has a whiter screen?. Your picture won't load here, sorry,
Josieb1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:06 PM   #124
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Weird, in a comment of that video, the creator said:
"the minimum light setting turns the light completely off. I checked in as dark a place as I could find in my home just now, and the screen did not appear to be emitting any light"

Anyone can check their PW2 and confirm this?
Someone on another board who has the PW2 also says it's now completely off at the lowest setting.

Last edited by sparklemotion; 10-01-2013 at 12:10 PM.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:20 PM   #125
7hir7een
Reader of Books
7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Basic (11th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
Someone on another board who has the PW2 also says it's now completely off at the lowest setting.
Nope, just really, really dim.
7hir7een is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2013, 12:23 PM   #126
zwarbles
Connoisseur
zwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura about

Device: iPad, Nook, NC, NST, Kobo, Nook Glo, K4, KPW Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
I don't see any light like with the PW1 but the screen is ever so slightly illuminated in a pitch black room with the PW2. Not enough to read, but ever so slight...and evenly across the entire screen!
zwarbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:26 PM   #127
DandalfTheWhite
DandalfTheWhite began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Thanks for the review! I have to questions. One is about the search. I came from a Kindle Touch, but the search on this seems limited to title and author. Is that working as intended or there something wrong with mine?

Also, has anyone else tried to copy over their folders from their old kindle, the mps and mbp1 files are all there, and they seem to work, but only if I open a book. If I was 94% done, then it opens to 94%, but before I open it for the first time it looks like the books has never been read. Any suggestions?
DandalfTheWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:26 PM   #128
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Thank you for the replies 7hir7een and zwarbles!
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:28 PM   #129
rpm1983
rpm1983 can extract oil from cheeserpm1983 can extract oil from cheeserpm1983 can extract oil from cheeserpm1983 can extract oil from cheeserpm1983 can extract oil from cheeserpm1983 can extract oil from cheeserpm1983 can extract oil from cheeserpm1983 can extract oil from cheeserpm1983 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Retina iPad 3, iPhone 4S, Kindle 4S, Kindle Paperwhite 2 (on order)
Quote:
Weird, in a comment of that video, the creator said:
"the minimum light setting turns the light completely off. I checked in as dark a place as I could find in my home just now, and the screen did not appear to be emitting any light"

Anyone can check their PW2 and confirm this?
I did see that comment on the video, it sounds like that answer was him checking quickly to reply to the commenter, but in the podcast it sounds like he checked further saying he waited until night to go into a dark closet and also did the same with the PW2 and a Kindle Touch to compare and saw that there was still some dim light coming from the PW2 screen turned all the way down compared to the unlit screen of the Kindle Touch.
rpm1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:31 PM   #130
zwarbles
Connoisseur
zwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura about

Device: iPad, Nook, NC, NST, Kobo, Nook Glo, K4, KPW Touch
The PW2 has faster page turns for sure! It also doesn't have all the blotches like my PW1 had.
Now iff the screen would be as white was my PW1, I'd be super thrilled with it.
I'll get used to the yellower screen so I'm not too upset.
zwarbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:34 PM   #131
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
The PW2 has faster page turns for sure! It also doesn't have all the blotches like my PW1 had.
Now iff the screen would be as white was my PW1, I'd be super thrilled with it.
I actually like the more yellowish tint of the PW2. When reading with ambient light, I've taken to turning the front-light up to the level where it brightens the page, but doesn't make it whiter. Before, I'd turn it up to where the page was as white as possible without looking illuminated.

Maybe I've read too much paperbacks, which are normally much yellower than hardcovers.

edit: crap. My keyboard is skipping letters the past few days. I think I'll soak it in a nice hot bath. I hope it's not a problem that the rest of the laptop is attached to it.

Last edited by Katsunami; 10-01-2013 at 12:56 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:38 PM   #132
benjamin11900
benjamin11900 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.benjamin11900 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.benjamin11900 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.benjamin11900 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.benjamin11900 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.benjamin11900 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.benjamin11900 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.benjamin11900 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.benjamin11900 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.benjamin11900 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.benjamin11900 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: none
I think reading black on "yellow" is easier on the eyes than reading on white.

But I could be wrong.
benjamin11900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:45 PM   #133
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin11900 View Post
I think reading black on "yellow" is easier on the eyes than reading on white.

But I could be wrong.
You could be correct. Black on dull yellow has less contrast than black on white, and less contrast can sometimes translate into less eyestrain. Contrast is good for detail, but too much and your eyestrain level increases.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:50 PM   #134
jswinden
Nameless Being

Starting to show up in Best Buys in N Texas

Just FYI, the PW2 is starting to show up in Best Buy stores in north Texas. Well, one store at least shows them to be in stock. I'm not sure how accurate the BB website is though. Yesterday they were reported to be in BB stores in the North Eastern USA. This is a nice change from last year when they didn't show up at local B&M stores for a few weeks after initial shipment.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:57 PM   #135
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I took some pictures, but can't really tell anything from them. I can say the text on the PW2 is darker, the screen is lighter, and the USE_ALT_FONTS trick does NOT WORK!!!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote