Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-01-2013, 10:32 AM   #106
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by arad26 View Post
in dark room
Definitely pink blob in the middle. I am glad this is a PW1. Looks better than the three PW1s I had though!

Last edited by jswinden; 10-01-2013 at 10:36 AM.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:39 AM   #107
zwarbles
Connoisseur
zwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura about

Device: iPad, Nook, NC, NST, Kobo, Nook Glo, K4, KPW Touch
Mine was just delivered. There are less blotches on the bottom.
The original has a much whiter screen than the PW2.

zwarbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2013, 10:42 AM   #108
ersott
Evangelist
ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite2, Ipad Air, Kobo Aura H2o
Pw2 is right and pw1 left?

Light is off?

:-(
ersott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:44 AM   #109
zwarbles
Connoisseur
zwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura about

Yes. The light is set at 22 on both. I'm on my way to work right now. I will set it up and check it out more when I get there.....
Old 10-01-2013, 10:47 AM   #110
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by zwarbles View Post
From your particular post and picture it was apparent, but...

folks, if you are posting comparison pictures, you probably want to state which model is to the left and which to the right. Just sayin'.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2013, 10:47 AM   #111
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
One can NOT go by these pictures. Camera lens technique is critical and most of us are AMATEURS with cameras.

One can only trust in one's own eyes. Last year lots of folks were reporting color blobs here but at the Amazon site 5 star ratings outnumbered 1 star ratings by 1,000 to 1 !! None of those 5 star reviewers saw any problems.

I posted a picture here of my PW 2012 and lots of folks saw color blobs on my unit which I could not see on the actual screen with my eyes. Most folks have some sort of eye defect which may not allow them to see faint blobs.

Its possible that even the PW 2013 may have defects noticeable to a very few folks. Hopefully, I won't be one of them.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:50 AM   #112
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
From your particular post and picture it was apparent, but...

folks, if you are posting comparison pictures, you probably want to state which model is to the left and which to the right. Just sayin'.
I second that, plus using the same font (and obviously the same page, Duh!) might help
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:50 AM   #113
benjamin11900
benjamin11900 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.benjamin11900 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.benjamin11900 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.benjamin11900 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.benjamin11900 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.benjamin11900 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.benjamin11900 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.benjamin11900 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.benjamin11900 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.benjamin11900 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.benjamin11900 is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
One can NOT go by these pictures. Camera lens technique is critical and most of us are AMATEURS with cameras.

One can only trust in one's own eyes. Last year lots of folks were reporting color blobs here but at the Amazon site 5 star ratings outnumbered 1 star ratings by 1,000 to 1 !! None of those 5 star reviewers saw any problems.

I posted a picture here of my PW 2012 and lots of folks saw color blobs on my unit which I could not see on the actual screen with my eyes. Most folks have some sort of eye defect which may not allow them to see faint blobs.

Its possible that even the PW 2013 may have defects noticeable to a very few folks. Hopefully, I won't be one of them.
Everyone can see the blobs on arad26's picture (page 7), at least I guess.
benjamin11900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:53 AM   #114
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwarbles View Post

There is a bright spotlight falling on the right bezel of the left unit. That is going to make this image look different than real life.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:56 AM   #115
rpm1983
rpm1983 can extract oil from cheeserpm1983 can extract oil from cheeserpm1983 can extract oil from cheeserpm1983 can extract oil from cheeserpm1983 can extract oil from cheeserpm1983 can extract oil from cheeserpm1983 can extract oil from cheeserpm1983 can extract oil from cheeserpm1983 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Retina iPad 3, iPhone 4S, Kindle 4S, Kindle Paperwhite 2 (on order)
http://youtu.be/klxgpPi-3po

Link to a video review that has some close-up shots comparing the PW2 with PW1 in low-light. Video creator, Len Edgerly from Kindle Chronicles, got a review unit from Amazon last week, but somehow I missed seeing the video until now.

Screen looks great with the creamy-looking, warmer-colored light, the elimination of color blobs and no more annoying uneven light along the bottom. I ended up returning my PW1 hoping the next-gen would work out the kinks and from everything I've seen and read it looks like they've done that.

I was waiting to buy the PW2 until I saw some first impressions. With both the dramatic changes to the light and the new Carta E-ink screen (that will likely be state-of-the-art for E-ink readers for the next few years the same way Pearl screens have been for the last 3 years) I'll definitely be getting a PW2 and keeping it.

Also, listening to the latest episode of the Kindle Chronicles podcast from the creator of that video at the 5:50 mark it mentioned that the light on the PW2 when set to its lowest setting is actually dimmer than the PW1, but still does not turn completely off (someone here had asked about how dim the light goes)
rpm1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:18 AM   #116
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabatha View Post
I kept my Touch as a secondary for this very reason, as it had 4gb of memory for storage, and speakers/audio for audiobooks & mp3. Your KK is the last to have the free Internet browser as well. I just sold my K4, and traded my PW1 so I could get the PW2. Must check trade-in value for the best price, and it's like getting the new one for a super price. My trade-in was for $113, today's price is $70, so up to you if it is worth it. My opinion, it's better to trade-in as it's a great price and avoids hassle of selling.
I would trade in if I could but we don't have that facility in the UK.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:29 AM   #117
Noritje
Enthusiast
Noritje began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 300, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpm1983 View Post
http://youtu.be/klxgpPi-3po
Also, listening to the latest episode of the Kindle Chronicles podcast from the creator of that video at the 5:50 mark it mentioned that the light on the PW2 when set to its lowest setting is actually dimmer than the PW1, but still does not turn completely off (someone here had asked about how dim the light goes)
Weird, in a comment of that video, the creator said:
"the minimum light setting turns the light completely off. I checked in as dark a place as I could find in my home just now, and the screen did not appear to be emitting any light"

Anyone can check their PW2 and confirm this?
Noritje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:44 AM   #118
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by arad26 View Post
It's a PW 1 indeed... i wanted to see if it is so obvious

Looks like the PW 2 is much better
OMG, I almost got a heart attack when I saw your picture. NOT funny!
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:46 AM   #119
Lyn2012
Addict
Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPhone 8, iPad Pro
I don't like the yellow looking screen - it looks like one of my 30+ year-old cheap paperbacks.
Lyn2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:47 AM   #120
zwarbles
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
There is a bright spotlight falling on the right bezel of the left unit. That is going to make this image look different than real life.
No, that was just the flash on my iPhone, Ignore that and look at the rest of the pictures, which are true to life. It truly is a whiter screen on my original.