Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-01-2013, 03:28 AM   #76
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Hmmm... I'm generally pretty harsh with Amazon/Lab126 and their software, because I dislike their closed-source close-mindedness.

And I can't really say anything about Kindle Fires - I've never even seen one in real life...

But I do think they did a pretty good job in keeping the more or less recent e-ink Kindles up-to-date:

* Kindle 3 (Keyboard) was given a rather major update a year and a half (or so) ago which brought support for KF8 (.azw3) books. That's a move that nobody really expected at the time, because most people thought the K3 was abandoned.
* Kindle 5 (Touch) was given an update which makes it look and behave pretty much like the Paperwhite, again when people already thought it was no longer maintained. And it received another update quite recently.
* Well okay, on the K4 front, there hasn't been much happening - but then again, the software's already quite feature-complete as it is.

So I'm actually expecting the PW1 to get a few updates which will keep it more or less on par with the PW2 for the next year or two. But of course, that's just speculation - nobody here really knows.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:32 AM   #77
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
So now I'm waiting to see if the PW1 will get the same software features as the new PW2 before I seriously consider upgrading from my K4. If not, then I'll put my decision on hold and reconsider when it goes on clearance.
I think you will be waiting a long time for Amazon to put the PW1 on clearance, it's more like it will just disappear and remaining stocks will be used for warranty replacements.
Josieb1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2013, 03:32 AM   #78
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
So I'm actually expecting the PW1 to get a few updates which will keep it more or less on par with the PW2 for the next year or two. But of course, that's just speculation - nobody here really knows.
Thanks for the info; and that's what I'm hoping.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:33 AM   #79
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I think it's just the expense in one go. It's £150 for a new PW plus shipping (I won't wait) plus a three year warranty.
Do you feel the need for a warranty? I've been using handheld devices for 30-odd years now, and never had one break.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:44 AM   #80
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Do you feel the need for a warranty? I've been using handheld devices for 30-odd years now, and never had one break.
Yep . I'm actually never paying for any "extended warranty" or such. I consider it a waste of money. My personal experience is that in 99% of the cases, any kind of electronic thing either dies very fast (= within a few months, which is covered by the "normal" warranty), or survives for ages, well beyond any warranty period.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2013, 03:46 AM   #81
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yep . I'm actually never paying for any "extended warranty" or such. I consider it a waste of money. My personal experience is that in 99% of the cases, any kind of electronic thing either dies very fast (= within a few months, which is covered by the "normal" warranty), or survives for ages, well beyond any warranty period.
This is even more true with EU law, which states that goods must be "fit for purpose", and allows consumers to make a "reasonable" warranty claim within 6 years of purchase. Limited time warranties are not legally binding within the EU.
Old 10-01-2013, 03:47 AM   #82
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
+1
My point, and my experience too, exactly.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:54 AM   #83
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes, I've had three replacements for my Kindle Keyboard, and I do like the security of knowing if anything happens to my devices replacing them is a breeze.
Old 10-01-2013, 03:56 AM   #84
Psykhe
Connoisseur
Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle4, KindlePW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
My PW1 is very good and I've been debating over the financial sense to upgrade, especially as I have two more years of a three year warranty for it, but I am tempted.
Ebay your old one.

You should be able to get good prices for it, especially with still 2 year warranty on it. Assuming you haven't scratched the screen noticeably or stuff like that.
Psykhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:04 AM   #85
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykhe View Post
Ebay your old one.

You should be able to get good prices for it, especially with still 2 year warranty on it. Assuming you haven't scratched the screen noticeably or stuff like that.
You'd need to check whether or not the extended warranty is transferrable. Extended warranties are usually insurance policies, and are often nor transferrable.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:05 AM   #86
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykhe View Post
Ebay your old one.

Mines perfect, but right now I am thinking of keeping it to replace my KK which gets used for a different type of sideloaded book which is not stored in the cloud.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:05 AM   #87
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Aren't people getting up to $122 for trading in their old one to Amazon? If that's the case then I don't see why everyone doesn't upgrade!
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:05 AM   #88
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
You'd need to check whether or not the extended warranty is transferrable. Extended warranties are usually insurance policies, and are often nor transferrable.
Square Trade policies are transferable. I sold my K Touch with one earlier this year through eBay, no trouble at all.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:07 AM   #89
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Aren't people getting up to $122 for trading in their old one to Amazon? If that's the case then I don't see why everyone doesn't upgrade!
That's only available in the US. No trade in program in any other country.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:09 AM   #90
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Well, for one thing the trade-in is only available to people in the US, so that rules out 95% of us .