Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 03-19-2012, 11:12 PM   #16
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by unifaerie View Post
Hmmmmm - think I have just enough sense to have already tried this several times lolol.
So how much useless blather in that Kobo response.

1) The download consistently stops at 40%. At least about 15 times at varying times during the day, evening, night and weekend.

2) My brand new 802.1bgn router has a very strong signal strength. I've also had the Vox within 5 feet of the router. Same problem.

3) I know exactly what devices are on my network as I've attached them. They are not doing any significant downloads.

4) This is my home network. Which is very lightly loaded. Hmm, maybe my new 1 Gigabit switch for my new file server is the problem? NOT!

5) Other updates with older WiFi gear came down just fine.

Ok, to be fair these might be problems for a few people. But not for me.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:29 AM   #17
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyToews View Post
I'll try the update some other day. I have no idea what you mean by ADB. I have also never rooted the Vox.
ADB is a tool for Android software developers, but it has proven useful in the latest attempts to root the Vox. Either way, you shouldn't have to use it as an end user -- but it can come in handy.
Advert
Old 03-20-2012, 12:34 AM   #18
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
So how much useless blather in that Kobo response.

1) The download consistently stops at 40%. At least about 15 times at varying times during the day, evening, night and weekend.

2) My brand new 802.1bgn router has a very strong signal strength. I've also had the Vox within 5 feet of the router. Same problem.

3) I know exactly what devices are on my network as I've attached them. They are not doing any significant downloads.

4) This is my home network. Which is very lightly loaded. Hmm, maybe my new 1 Gigabit switch for my new file server is the problem? NOT!

5) Other updates with older WiFi gear came down just fine.

Ok, to be fair these might be problems for a few people. But not for me.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's blather that is intended to address a problem with how Kobo deployed this update. But I would like to qualify it with a few things: consistently stopping at 40% on a given device is consistent with what they are saying (i.e. it is trying, but failing to resume the download) and a new router doesn't necessarily mean that it is a reliable router since there seem to be many wireless devices that don't cooperate with each other.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:31 PM   #19
gottabekd
gottabekd began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox; Kobo e-Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's blather that is intended to address a problem with how Kobo deployed this update. But I would like to qualify it with a few things: consistently stopping at 40% on a given device is consistent with what they are saying (i.e. it is trying, but failing to resume the download) and a new router doesn't necessarily mean that it is a reliable router since there seem to be many wireless devices that don't cooperate with each other.
I had my wireless router replaced (totally a fluke, it was getting done this past Friday whether my Kobo Vox could download the update or not). It has the exact same problem as with my old router. I've disconnected everything from it and tried again.
I really wished Kobo had built in another way of getting the update aside from WiFi, my device did a factory rest and I'm hooped until they decide to fix whatever problem it is on their end.
gottabekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:12 AM   #20
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Indeed suddenly my Vox got to 46% and then had the disconnect.

My other wireless devices have not had a problem at all with my router. So ...
Advert
Old 03-21-2012, 12:43 AM   #21
unifaerie
Enthusiast
unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unifaerie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung tab 7
Quote:
Indeed suddenly my Vox got to 46% and then had the disconnect.

My other wireless devices have not had a problem at all with my router. So ...
Have you tried the upgrade download from this post/ https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=172774

Provided by Kobo and works!
unifaerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:26 AM   #22
TonyToews
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by unifaerie View Post
Have you tried the upgrade download from this post/ https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=172774

Provided by Kobo and works!
I indeed had not seen that thread. And that worked. So I'm much happier.