Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-21-2011, 08:12 PM   #1
salbertarose
salbertarose began at the beginning.

Device: Hipstreet HS-M700
Will Calibre ever be able to handle DRM's

I downloaded Adobe digital editions and it doesn't recognize my ereader. I don't have any other options to get a DRM epub book I purchased onto my reader. It would be nice if Calibre was able to allow us to load our DRM's onto our devices, since Digital Editions doesn't seem to be able to recognize many ebook readers. But I suppose they have some sort of agreement to be the only software to transfer DRM's??? It really is ridiculous to have to read a book on my laptop, when if I would have known that I couldn't get the ebook onto my reader, I would have just ordered the physical paper book!
salbertarose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:56 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Salbertarose; the moderators of MobileRead don't allow discussion of means of removing DRM, however, we are allowed to suggest you to do a Google search for "Apprentice Alf".

You might well find something that would assist you,,,,
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2011, 09:03 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by salbertarose View Post
I downloaded Adobe digital editions and it doesn't recognize my ereader. I don't have any other options to get a DRM epub book I purchased onto my reader. It would be nice if Calibre was able to allow us to load our DRM's onto our devices, since Digital Editions doesn't seem to be able to recognize many ebook readers. But I suppose they have some sort of agreement to be the only software to transfer DRM's??? It really is ridiculous to have to read a book on my laptop, when if I would have known that I couldn't get the ebook onto my reader, I would have just ordered the physical paper book!
You are confused about how DRM works.
Calibre transfers my DRM infested book to my authorised reader perfectly.

Your Reader must support the DRM system (Adobe in this case), The Reader must be then Authorised to you account by the ADE on your computer connecting to your device.
You report that your device fails this step. Did you buy a reader that supports ADE?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:04 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
From looking at the manual for the Hip Street eReader it clearly says "NON DRM ePubs" only... so looks like the device does not support DRM'ed material.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 04:46 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Forgive me for asking the obvious question, but why did you buy a device which has no support for DRM-protected ePub files if those are what you want to read?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2011, 06:15 AM   #6
salbertarose
salbertarose began at the beginning.

Device: Hipstreet HS-M700
I know this might not make sense to some of you, but in the country I live in, the only way you can get a current top list book is to buy it from an online bookstore. I didn't know that prior to buying the ereader, and I didn't know that the only format those bookstores sold the books was DRM. I thought I would have other options of getting those titles I wanted to read. I guess I was naiive. I thought if a company designed an ereader and sold it, it would handle the typical formats. I'm not sure why anyone would want to buy a reader that only handled those "free" books out there. I bought and read real books from a bookstore prior to buying me ereader, and I thought that buying an ereader meant I could go digital and green and just buy those same books to read on my reader. I have read a lot of those "classics" in my life, and now I wanted to read newer books. This forum wasn't about removing DRM, it was about whether Calibre could respect and honor the protection, yet allow us to load it onto our readers. I guess many of you out there that might have some snippy things to say to me (or thinking it), it is because you forget that you were once a newbie. Everyone starts as a newbie before they can gain the knowledge and experience. You aren't born knowing everything. Thanks to everyone for your replies.
salbertarose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 06:46 AM   #7
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
DRM isn't a format, it's a sort of security key added to the ePub (or other format). If your reader doesn't support it, the only way to use it is to strip the DRM.
I'm sorry, but there simply isn't another way if you can't get a reader that can handle DRM. It's not a Calibre or Adobe issue, it's your device.
Stripping DRM is easy, but we're not allowed to discuss it on the forum. A couple of searchers should find you enough info though. By suggesting stripping of DRM I'm not in any way suggesting piracy, illegal file sharing or anything like that of any kind. Just a tool for you to get you legal books copied to your device.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 06:55 AM   #8
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Calibre is quite happy to copy a DRM protected book to any device. However as was pointed out that does not solve the problem of being able to read the book on the device if it is DRM protected and the device does not understand the DRZm toe being used.

I tend to only buy books from publishers that provide books without DRM.

It is also possible to remove most types of DRM (google "Apprentice Alf" for appropriate links) which then allows the book to be used on any eReader device, but depending on where you live this may be against the law.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:11 AM   #9
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just thought I'd try to explain what DRM is so you understand why it's not a Calibre issue:

DMR is like a lock on the file.
When you authorize a device to an Adobe account the device is given a key to open the lock.
Your computer just unlocks the file för reading on the computer. Each device you want to read it on needs to keep a key.
Your device isn't able to keep that key anywhere, so even if the locked file can be transferred fine with Calibre it can't be unlocked.

Last edited by Asawi; 12-23-2011 at 08:19 AM.
Old 12-25-2011, 12:42 AM   #10
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Return the eReader & buy one that Doesnt block DRM Locked eBooks Like Kindle Nook Sony & More!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 10:58 AM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Return the eReader & buy one that Doesnt block DRM Locked eBooks Like Kindle Nook Sony & More!
I would not suggest getting a Kindle to read the OP's existing Adobe Digital Editions books (natively ). Kindles have their own form of the poison.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:01 AM   #12
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I would not suggest getting a Kindle to read the OP's existing Adobe Digital Editions books (natively ). Kindles have their own form of the poison.
Well, they work well with my Kindle, thank you. But it does require some poison antidote.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 10:17 AM   #13
Asawi
Gadgetoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Well, they work well with my Kindle, thank you. But it does require some poison antidote.
Well. if the antidote is to be used there isn't any need for another reader. Once the DRM is gone the existing reader will work.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:23 AM   #14
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
Quote:
I'm not sure why anyone would want to buy a reader that only handled those "free" books out there
I bought an e-reader simply to handle public domain, ("free") books, since many of those that I am interested in are out of print.

I don't think that people on this forum are sniping at you, (or thinking it), but are just trying to help. The answers you have been given are sufficient for you to solve your DRM problem with your existing e-reader.

Let us know how you get on.
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 10:23 AM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats

The OP was having enough trouble...
Poison control would just make them catatonic

K.I.S.S.