Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-02-2019, 02:49 AM   #61
SusanReads
Addict
SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4, Kobo Libra 2
I think people will love a 6 inch e-reader with page turn buttons like the Voyage has. If they make a new e-reader like that, with either physical buttons or like the ones the Voyage has now, I would buy it.

The Oasis is nice, but the cold back and the fact that it's quite big with 7 inch might not appeal to everyone. And the PW is nice, but has no page turn buttons and that bothered me. So I definitely think there is still a demand for a high end 6 inch e-reader, priced somewhere in between the PW and the Oasis.
SusanReads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 06:52 AM   #62
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
The Libra (and Aura HD, H2O, H2O2) were ~7" class, though. That makes them clearly distinct from the low to mid-range 6" readers.
I know, but for reading novels, I'm not convinced the 7" screen is better. And with the gradient light issues (when lighting from the side) I'm not sure if the form factor is better. (This comes from reading about the lighting issues in the Forma, Libra and newer Oases (not personal experience) -- I don't remember any one mentioning it on the older Oases, so it might have something to do with the amber/orange LEDs.)

Quote:
I also think a 7" Kindle Voyage at $180 would sell pretty well. I reckon Amazon's dilemma might be $180 7" Voyage sales cannibalizing 7" Oasis sales. Of course, they could always switch to a 6-7-8 line-up similar to Kobo.
I'm still not convinced that 6" Voyage, with the same format as the old one but with warm lighting, wouldn't sell well at the $180 price range. I, for one, would definitely be interested.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2019, 07:13 AM   #63
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I know, but for reading novels, I'm not convinced the 7" screen is better. And with the gradient light issues (when lighting from the side) I'm not sure if the form factor is better. (This comes from reading about the lighting issues in the Forma, Libra and newer Oases (not personal experience) -- I don't remember any one mentioning it on the older Oases, so it might have something to do with the amber/orange LEDs.)
The Voyage had gradient issues too. My Voyage is worse in that regard than all my Oases.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 07:52 AM   #64
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
The Voyage had gradient issues too. My Voyage is worse in that regard than all my Oases.
Mine doesn't, but even if it did, it would be along the bottom margin where it can easily be ignored. It's pretty hard to ignore it when it's at the end of every line of text. I don't think the the technology is any worse (or better) it's just the fact of having lights on the edge instead of on the bottom or top. This is why I'm leery of the LEDs along the edge design.
Old 12-02-2019, 08:15 AM   #65
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

By the way, Rcentros, I remember you had problems with frontlit readers a while ago. Did those problems disappear, as I've noticed you're using frontlit readers these days? Just curious...
Advert
Old 12-02-2019, 08:26 AM   #66
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanReads View Post
I think people will love a 6 inch e-reader with page turn buttons like the Voyage has. If they make a new e-reader like that, with either physical buttons or like the ones the Voyage has now, I would buy it.
If the Voyage was still selling, Amazon would still be selling it. So another 6" Kindle like the Voyage won't sell and Amazon won't be selling it. So forget the haptic buttons. It wasn't enough of a draw to keep the Voyage alive.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 08:46 AM   #67
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If the Voyage was still selling, Amazon would still be selling it. So another 6" Kindle like the Voyage won't sell and Amazon won't be selling it. So forget the haptic buttons. It wasn't enough of a draw to keep the Voyage alive.
Yep. The upshot is that while Amazon has a price point gap between the Paper white and the Oasis, they don't have a spec/technical gap. There's nothing they can offer in that middle ground that will convince people to upgrade from a Paperwhite.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 01:18 PM   #68
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
I think if they came out with a paperwhite shape and size, with real buttons on each side and a clearer glass screen it would sell well. Instead of calling it a Voyage they could call it the Paperwhite Plus. It would be an upgrade over the current paperwhite and cost a bit more, but still less than the larger Oasis. Still keeping the current Paperwhite as the entry level device.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 01:47 PM   #69
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wearever View Post
I think if they came out with a paperwhite shape and size, with real buttons on each side and a clearer glass screen it would sell well. Instead of calling it a Voyage they could call it the Paperwhite Plus. It would be an upgrade over the current paperwhite and cost a bit more, but still less than the larger Oasis. Still keeping the current Paperwhite as the entry level device.
Technically, KT4 is the entry level.

To be honest, I doubt there are millions of people willing to fork over an extra $50 (or 38% of PW4 MSRP) for a 6" Paperwhite Plus with page turn buttons, warm light and better contrast display.

I'm sure there are but would there be enough for Amazon to reach their sales target? Cost-benefit and ROI is really Amazon's primary consideration here. No doubt it will be profitable but will it be as profitable as Amazon's other ventures?
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 02:42 PM   #70
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Personally I would not buy another 6'' ereader. 7-8'' or nothing for me.

Still, they could make the 7'' Voyage and price it a bit lower than the Oasis. There are certainly people out there who don't like the the lopsided design, but would like the larger Voyage. They could also make the Oasis bigger, somewhere between 7 and 8''... There are many possibilities. Amazon has been resting on their laurels for a while now. They haven't done anything interesting with the Kindles for years. Well, since the Oasis 2, anyway.
Old 12-02-2019, 04:08 PM   #71
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
By the way, Rcentros, I remember you had problems with frontlit readers a while ago. Did those problems disappear, as I've noticed you're using frontlit readers these days? Just curious...
I figured out that if I installed dark fonts (more contrast) then it worked. Basically I can thank Constantia and Deja Vu Serif Ebook for this. (On the Nook Glowlight Plus (2015) I use Georgia with the thicker setting, but I would rather have the option to install one of the above fonts.) If I had to use the built-in fonts I don't know how well it would work, though the 300 dpi screen does make a difference also. (My earliest attempt at front-lighting was a Nook ST with Glowlight and a Kobo Glo — the Glo is long gone and the Nook ST w/Glowlight had a little darker font, but the letters still "float" for me.)
Old 12-02-2019, 04:13 PM   #72
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The Voyage is still selling, whenever it shows up. But Amazon considered it a premium reader, just like their Oasis is now. They would have to look at the hypothetical new Voyage a bit differently (high, middle range, like the Libra) if they wanted to sell it now. I'm guessing Amazon is happy with one higher end device and aren't looking for a Libra competitor (unfortunately).
Old 12-02-2019, 04:14 PM   #73
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
I think you're right. And add warm LEDs.
Old 12-02-2019, 04:17 PM   #74
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
It wouldn't sell. Most people would not see a difference and Amazon could not justify a higher price.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 06:12 PM   #75
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
Quote:
Technically, KT4 is the entry level.

To be honest, I doubt there are millions of people willing to fork over an extra $50 (or 38% of PW4 MSRP) for a 6" Paperwhite Plus with page turn buttons, warm light and better contrast display.

I'm sure there are but would there be enough for Amazon to reach their sales target? Cost-benefit and ROI is really Amazon's primary consideration here. No doubt it will be profitable but will it be as profitable as Amazon's other ventures?
I think there might be a market in the kindle line up for a 6" device that has buttons on each side, and a clearer glass screen. The shape would make a difference for those who don't like the wedge shape of the Oasis. Many miss the Voyage and are looking for those features again. They haven't found it in the paperwhite yet.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote