Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-14-2009, 10:32 AM   #16
sminarovich
Connoisseur
sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sminarovich could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: sony ereader 500 & 600
Zippy! I was planning on updating to the 600, but I was concerned because I have over 600 books on my 500 I certainly didn't want to be worrying about eventially loosing them, I also hope in the coming years we will see colour. I have 4 standing bookshelves, floating shelves books piled on furniture, l love the colour and look forward to the day my ebooks can have colour in their front pages, and manga just seems pointless on ebook without colour and for b/w more degrees of grey.
sminarovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:44 AM   #17
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkupan View Post
Doesn't mean a whole lot in my book. Who is this Lisa? A first level support person answering the chat at SonyStyle? What does she know?
Second level. And I skipped a lot of not really relevant chat at the beginning which makes me inclined to believe her.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2009, 10:57 AM   #18
Who are you?
Groupie
Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 505
The files in the firmwares are in cramfs, I assume they stay in cramfs on the device, then the extra space needed is about 2MB compared with the current adobe viewer.
Who are you? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 11:05 AM   #19
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
igorsk, what do you think, how many PRS-500 owners are still out there? Not the total number, but the number of people, who actually buy books at Sony eBook Store and generate some sort of revenue for Sony? One thousand? Two thousand? Fifty thousand?

The ADE license according to Robertb costs 70K per device model. Plus development costs to integrate into the Reader FW (probably including the Mass Storage Device emulation driver). Plus making the new FW updater that will rearrange the partitions in the flash and remove some of the books from /Data in order to shrink it to the newly allowed maximum size. Plus the customer service effort to support the angry callers whose devices have been messed up by the process. Is it worth it? Or is it a charity effort, a good will gesture?

Perhaps you are right, and there will be an update. That would mean Sony is going all out for EPUB support. Sony, which two years ago announced that it wasn't making any more FW updates for PRS-500, is all of a sudden making an exception in this case... This is very hard to believe. The "update path" statement is just vague enough to not commit to anything in particular.

Last edited by porkupan; 08-14-2009 at 11:13 AM.
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 11:30 AM   #20
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I agree that Sony probably won't see any direct financial return from the update. However, it will be of quite big PR value. It would send a "Sony won't abandon you" signal to many users and make them more inclined to buy Readers in future.
Advert
Old 08-14-2009, 11:31 AM   #21
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
I agree that Sony probably won't see any direct financial return from the update. However, it will be of quite big PR value. It would send a "Sony won't abandon you" signal to many users and make them more inclined to buy Readers in future.
It may be that, in exchange for promoting Adobe DE, they are getting a break in the price of an upgrade for old, not for sale, products.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 11:35 AM   #22
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
I wonder if those of us who bought LRX books with our PRS-500's but have sold the 500 can DL their LRX books in Epub format now.

On second thought, probably not since there would be no way to view except on PC.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 11:38 AM   #23
igorsk
Wizard

Of course you will be able to. Purchases are tied to the account, not the device.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:14 PM   #24
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Of course you will be able to. Purchases are tied to the account, not the device.
Good point. Now I wish I had spent hundreds of dollars buying ebooks from the Sony store.

BOb

(no not really!)
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote