Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-07-2009, 04:04 PM   #1
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Murdoch: Give us Kindle subscriber names or else

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2009/08/...names-or-else/

Quote:
Rupert Murdoch's mad as hell, and he's not going to take it anymore. High-handed treatment from Amazon, that is.

On News Corp.'s (NWS) fiscal-year-end earnings call with analysts, the notoriously shoot-from-the-hip mogul suggested that The Wall Street Journal will cease to be available on the Kindle e-reader unless Amazon starts offering a more generous revenue split and more publisher-friendly policies.
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 04:13 PM   #2
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Heh.... Well, he has a point. Papers like the WSJ get a lot of valuable demographic data that presumably they aren't getting from the Amazon version.

Then again, he also wants to put up a paywall for all Newscorp web sites. Newscorp is getting killed like every other newspaper outlet, and Murdoch is convinced that he's leaving money on the table.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2009, 04:54 PM   #3
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
it's not just the Kindle.
Ruper Murdoch is planning to make his British newspapers pay-per-view for their online versions, starting with The Sunday Times. It seems that advertising revenues have been declining:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009...times-strategy
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 06:24 PM   #4
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma
advocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony 350, 650, 950, Nook Color
I have to pay $150 or so a year for my online access to the WSJ. Since Murdoch can keep all the money collecting directly from online subscribers, I can't blame him with the loss he takes when Amazon sells the same subscription for a comparable price but keeps a big chunk of the subscription price.

The situtation is very different for online editions where the entire paper is available for free on the internet. The only reason customers would pay Amazon for such papers is because of Amazon's delivery method. For me, I just get all the daily papers I can handle from Calibre using RSS feeds. Because I have a WSJ subscription, Calibre is able to convert the feed for my DX as well.

BTW, the WSJ has a mobile edition for phones that works just fine on the DX browser.
advocate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 12:30 PM   #5
sforce
Connoisseur
sforce doesn't littersforce doesn't litter

Device: Plastic Logic (?)
Amazon Caves to Magazines and Newspapers, now gives them your info

Enviable, I guess, but it sure has some people peeved:

"Amazon caves to Magazines and newspapers, now gives them your name address and billing information"

http://www.amazon.com/tag/kindle/forum/ref=cm_cd_ef_tft_tp?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1D7SY 3BVSESG&cdThread=Tx3O3VUUI6JERZQ&displayType=tagsD etail
sforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert