Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-02-2022, 06:34 AM   #91
black
Banned
black began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox, Libra 2
I will not read scientific papers on my Kobo. It is too slow when reading pdf's. I use an Ipad for this. Also nice is its abillity to takes notes, annotate etc. I use Marginnote 2 for this.
black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 08:09 AM   #92
martinot
Swedish Kobo User
martinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: Kobo Forma, Kindle Paperwhite 11, iPad mini 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuha View Post
I have just bought Libra 2 for 1890 SEK and now I am considering returning it because the price of Forma in Sweden decrease to 1990 SEK. I mostly use my e-reader for reading scientific articles (originally A4, 2 columns), 7-inch is quite good in landscape mode for this purpose but I am wondering if I can get a better experience with 8-inch.
I think the Forma is a great reader for e-books. I love 8" for reading e-books (big difference to 7"). I am also from Sweden, and just now bought a third Forma (my wife got my last one) due to the good price from Komplett (thanks to your tip and post!).

But that said I personally think 8" Forma is too small and slow for PDF. I would suggest the Kobo Elipsa with 10" screen for mainly PDF reading.

Last edited by martinot; 02-02-2022 at 08:11 AM.
martinot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2022, 12:00 PM   #93
mezzanine
Groupie
mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Clara, Aura HD
I'm pretty sure Onyx Boox has the market for reading PDF files on e-ink because their software is a step above the rest of the competition.

I would go for a tablet.
mezzanine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 04:13 PM   #94
zuha
zuha began at the beginning.

Device: Libra 2
Did you have any problem with the light? I saw many reviews noticed flickering in Forma screen. I have returned my Libra 2 and now still thinking about taking Forma.
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinot View Post
I think the Forma is a great reader for e-books. I love 8" for reading e-books (big difference to 7"). I am also from Sweden, and just now bought a third Forma (my wife got my last one) due to the good price from Komplett (thanks to your tip and post!).

But that said I personally think 8" Forma is too small and slow for PDF. I would suggest the Kobo Elipsa with 10" screen for mainly PDF reading.
zuha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 06:13 PM   #95
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Did you have any problem with the light? I saw many reviews noticed flickering in Forma screen. I have returned my Libra 2 and now still thinking about taking Forma.
Please point them out to us. But, only point out ones not using a high-speed camera to capture the flickering.

The Forma does use PWM to control the lighting level. But, it is at a frequency well above anything that is detectable by human eyes.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2022, 02:31 PM   #96
martinot
Swedish Kobo User
martinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and grace

Quote:
Not me. The light on the Forma is said to be PWM controlled (like on some laptops and ipads), but I have not noticed any flickering. I do not know if it is mainly a personal perception thing, or if it is the infamous Kobo quality control. All work great for me!
Old 02-07-2022, 11:56 AM   #97
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Not me. The light on the Forma is said to be PWM controlled (like on some laptops and ipads), but I have not noticed any flickering. I do not know if it is mainly a personal perception thing, or if it is the infamous Kobo quality control. All work great for me!
It's not a personal perception thing, it's a human biology thing. Your neurological system has no way to detect PWM at that frequency.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 01:39 PM   #98
tschucha
Zealot
tschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydronaut View Post
Moving from an Aura One. I specifically wanted buttons and narrowed it down to the Libra 2 or Sage. Looking a them in person not sure if I would like the smaller screen of the Libra as used to the 7.8.

From all of the review of the Sage the battery seems to be terrible. So am thinking maybe the Foma might be the best of both works as have no need for the new functions of the sage but the 32GB is nice. I am in Canada and looking at the prices (CDN and not including tax) with 10% discount directly from the Kobo site:

Libra 2 - 197.99
Sage - 269.99
Refurb Forma - 224.99

Something tells me to grab the Forma as I it meets all the criteria with good battery life, Mobius screen (don't know of any other readers that did under 10"). Seems to be the last of it's kind. The question is does anybody have any experience with refurbs directly from Kobo? It's unfortunate about the Sage's battery. Not much more than the Refurb Forma.
I have a Sage and a Forma. Yes the Sage has a shorter battery life but it is not really a big problem to me. Does it matter to you if you have to charge it every 4 days instead of every 6 days? If so the Forma is a better choice.

The Sage is slightly heavier and does not have the rubbery edge that the Forma does. The screen seems a little better on the Sage but not a whole lot. The power button on the Forma is in a horrible place and I would occasionally turn the device off accidentally while reading. I prefer the Sage myself. The biggest plusses for me are the removal of the rubbery edge from the Forma and the proper placement of the power button on the Sage.

Both are excellent readers, IMO the best created to date.
tschucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 05:06 PM   #99
martinot
Swedish Kobo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschucha View Post
I have a Sage and a Forma. Yes the Sage has a shorter battery life but it is not really a big problem to me. Does it matter to you if you have to charge it every 4 days instead of every 6 days? If so the Forma is a better choice.

The Sage is slightly heavier and does not have the rubbery edge that the Forma does. The screen seems a little better on the Sage but not a whole lot. The power button on the Forma is in a horrible place and I would occasionally turn the device off accidentally while reading. I prefer the Sage myself. The biggest plusses for me are the removal of the rubbery edge from the Forma and the proper placement of the power button on the Sage.

Both are excellent readers, IMO the best created to date.
Totally agree about the power button on the Forma. Horrible placement, horrible feeling and horrible quality (loved the power button on my KA1).

It is almost a must to have a sleep cover with the Forma (I never use the power button with the cover).
Old 02-16-2022, 02:09 PM   #100
gauchomigo
gauchomigo is a splendid one to beholdgauchomigo is a splendid one to beholdgauchomigo is a splendid one to beholdgauchomigo is a splendid one to beholdgauchomigo is a splendid one to beholdgauchomigo is a splendid one to beholdgauchomigo is a splendid one to beholdgauchomigo is a splendid one to beholdgauchomigo is a splendid one to beholdgauchomigo is a splendid one to beholdgauchomigo is a splendid one to behold

Device: kobo forma/aura
Quote:
Totally agree about the power button on the Forma. Horrible placement, horrible feeling and horrible quality (loved the power button on my KA1).

It is almost a must to have a sleep cover with the Forma (I never use the power button with the cover).
Just got a Forma, and ditto. The PWR button has no feel, you press it and nothing happens, press little longer and - powers off. sometimes you get a win and it sleeps. Just sent off for a cover to solve the issue (like you did).

Like the size, like the weight. lights are fine. power button is the worst engineered thing I've seen in quite a while.
gauchomigo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forma, libra, sage