Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-13-2022, 02:36 PM   #61
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
In the first quote, you say the right side of the book is adjusted to take into account that the page numbers are on. But, now you say it isn't. Which is it?

Of course it is neither. The text is laid out in the same way and the numbers are written where they need to be. And they can overlay the text. As can be seem in the attached screenshot made using my Glo (and a book from one of our members). Margins are set to the minimum, the font a lot larger than I would normally used and I just turned the page until I found this.
I said basically the same thing both times. Back when ADE was displaying the page number on the right side, a lot of ePub eBooks where made with a wider right margin so the page numbers did not overwrite the text.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 03:23 PM   #62
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Of course, whatever floats someone's boat. Personally I don't use KOReader and I may even read a book or two on a Kindle someday (when Amazon releases that 8'' Oasis, I guess), where you can't install KOReader without jailbreaking. So my books are future-proof for any and all device or app I may read them in.
Yeah I'm in the fix it once and done camp. I have it down to a routine.

1) Press T to edit
2) open random chapter, right click on first paragraph, right click and inspect
3) find relevant css rule, locate in css
4) Set text-indent to 0, all margins and paddings except top to 0, font-size to 1em
5) repeat 2-3 for typical paragraph, set text-indent to 1.5em, all margins and paddings to 0, font-size to 1em
6) save and done
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2022, 06:40 PM   #63
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post

1) Press T to edit
4) Set text-indent to 0, all margins and paddings except top to 0, font-size to 1em
5) repeat 2-3 for typical paragraph, set text-indent to 1.5em, all margins and paddings to 0, font-size to 1em
6) save and done
My point is that the above routine does not represent a saving in either time or convenience to having pretty much exactly the same steps done when opening the book to read. It's simply a choice - either open the book to edit, save the changes, then transfer to the device or, transfer the book open the book, have the reader software impose those changes. There is no real difference, just personal preference. Especially if one seldom re-reads books.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 06:43 PM   #64
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I said basically the same thing both times. Back when ADE was displaying the page number on the right side, a lot of ePub eBooks where made with a wider right margin so the page numbers did not overwrite the text.
Oh, you are saying that there were ebook creators out there that deliberately made the right margin wider just for this. Sorry, but, I don't believe you. Firstly, because I have never seen one. And secondly, because, apart from a few people like @Hitch, the people doing this don't seem to care. They just do it the way they want and make us put up with it. Or they don't really know what they are doing and just use tools that generate it without care for anything. And teh rest are so busy trying to make the ebook exactly like the pbook, that this would never be considered.

And, "Back when" is meaningless, as the RMSDK still does it. It can be turned off, just as in ADE, but, it is still there.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 06:56 PM   #65
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
My point is that the above routine does not represent a saving in either time or convenience to having pretty much exactly the same steps done when opening the book to read. It's simply a choice - either open the book to edit, save the changes, then transfer to the device or, transfer the book open the book, have the reader software impose those changes. There is no real difference, just personal preference. Especially if one seldom re-reads books.
Oh no I don't think my way saves time, likely way more time consuming. It works, though, and doesn't depends on an e reader that gives you that kind of control, and even then there will be cases when the e reader will fail or overdoes it.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2022, 09:53 PM   #66
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Yes. As we both said, it's however suits you better. I like to know my books look mostly the same on any device, because I don't know which device I'll want to read them on 10-15 years from now. And I'm pretty anal about having the text look exactly the way I like. For most people, ereader or app settings do the job well enough.
Again, ditto.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 10:06 PM   #67
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
It matters when you use different brands and reading applications, not all of which have the options to change everything. If you only use KOReader and you're sure that's all you'll ever use, then it doesn't matter to you, of course

Kobo's own software has no option to reduce text indents or remove spaces between paragraphs, for example, let alone delete ads and excerpts from the book.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 10:21 PM   #68
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It matters when you use different brands and reading applications, not all of which have the options to change everything. If you only use KOReader and you're sure that's all you'll ever use, then it doesn't matter to you, of course.
That's why I said in my last post "Especially if one seldom re-reads books." Of the 1100 or so books in my Calibre library, I doubt there are even 40 I would ever be bothered re-reading. And I deliberately shot high when I picked "40".
Old 01-13-2022, 10:37 PM   #69
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
That's why I said in my last post "Especially if one seldom re-reads books." Of the 1100 or so books in my Calibre library, I doubt there are even 40 I would ever be bothered re-reading. And I deliberately shot high when I picked "40".
Well, my problem is that most of the books in my calibre library (over 20 000 overall) are still unread. And I guess many of those will stay unread, but as to the rest, I have no idea what I'll be reading them on years from now. That's why I edit them.

Of course I'm aware that only a very tiny minority edit their books, and I'm not suggesting everyone should. To each their own.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 11:45 PM   #70
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
Well, my problem is that most of the books in my calibre library (over 20 000 overall) are still unread. And I guess many of those will stay unread, but as to the rest, I have no idea what I'll be reading them on years from now. That's why I edit them.
May you live long enough to read them all.
Old 01-14-2022, 05:51 AM   #71
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post

1) Press T to edit
6) save and done
I edit (using the calibre editor) to remove embedded fonts, reduce image sizes, and remove unused classes (stuff).

I basically do your 4-6 (and a couple of other things) doing an epub to epub conversion.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 02:54 PM   #72
mezzanine
Groupie
mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Clara, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
For the record, someone's description of what is happening with margins is wrong. It was what happened a long time ago. At that time, the margins setting acted as a multiplier of the margins in the book. If the book had margins set to 1em or other relative units, then the slider multiplied that. But, if the book had the margin set to absolute elements, they could not be changed.

Kobo changed this so that the margins acted around the page. They have effectively added whitespace around the text and the margins slider affects how wide this is. So the margins become what the publisher has set plus what the margins set.

Also, for something the above, you can use my Kobo Utilities plugin to set the margins for the book. It can set them separately so that you could set the right margin to zero and the left to 1 or whatever works. You would lose the settings if you change them when reading the device, but, it might help to improve the reading experience for this book.

I agree with the rabbit hole. My tendency is to try the book and fix it when I don't like it. The formatting has gotten better and it is usually easier to fix now. Unfortunately, once I start...that rabbit hole becomes very deep

You could try the CSS modify function in the driver. This appends some CSS to the end of each stylesheet in the book when it is sent to the device. You might be able to override the margins with that. Because the styles used are different, you would need to fiddle with it to get it right for the largest number of cases.
Thanks. I'm progressively becoming more aware of the advantages in learning how to do basic editing stuff. I'll check out your Utilities Plug-in.
mezzanine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 03:06 PM   #73
martinot
Swedish Kobo User
martinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: Kobo Forma, Kindle Paperwhite 11, iPad mini 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydronaut View Post
For me, my daughter tried to feed mine to our 16 year Dachsund and it has some nice rows of teethmarks (missing teeth included) acrosss the screen. The battery was dying too.

Amazon Canada got some new Forma's back in stock. If they go down to 259 CDN again I will grab one as I have a few gift cards.
*LOL*

Sorry for that!

Yes, I think that the Forma is the absolutely best e-reader you can get. Grab one when you still can!
martinot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 03:09 PM   #74
mezzanine
Groupie
mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Clara, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinot View Post
If your are happy with the Aura One, why not continue to use it?
I plan to, but I still keep an eye on my local used market to see if a good deal pops up. If I could get a Sage for $200 new, I'd consider it.

I actually think there's a good chance my next ereader could be an Elipsa. I go back and forth on whether it's lack of warm light is a deal-breaker and recently I'm leaning toward it not being a deal-breaker.
mezzanine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 03:23 PM   #75
martinot
Swedish Kobo User
martinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: Kobo Forma, Kindle Paperwhite 11, iPad mini 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Buttons at the bottom are awful. Sony had buttons at the bottom and they were terrible to use because of where they were.
Yes, I really prefer the buttons on the side just like you. That feels most natural for me.

But that said the great thing with readers like Formea and Sage is that you can rotate the device and have the buttons in the bottom (for those that pefer so).
martinot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forma, libra, sage