Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-12-2022, 08:04 PM   #46
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I edit every book I buy in the calibre editor. Fixed font type and size in the body text, fixed margins and line-spacing in the same, too large paragraphs indents and spaces between ordinary paragraphs all have to go. These days it takes me a minute or two to fix a book, if that, except for a few horrific cases (usually self-pubs). Ads and excerpts from other books get thrown out too, as I can't stand those. Widows and orphans I set to 1.

I found it easier to do all this in one fell swoop than to constantly fiddle with the ereader settings and still be frustrated when things don't feel exactly right. I don't usually touch the font, line and margin settings on my Kobos at all anymore, once I've set them according to my preferences when I get a new device. I can just open a book and start reading. Bliss.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 10:03 PM   #47
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I edit every book I buy in the calibre editor. Fixed font type and size in the body text, fixed margins and line-spacing in the same, too large paragraphs indents and spaces between ordinary paragraphs all have to go. These days it takes me a minute or two to fix a book, if that, except for a few horrific cases (usually self-pubs). Ads and excerpts from other books get thrown out too, as I can't stand those. Widows and orphans I set to 1.

I found it easier to do all this in one fell swoop than to constantly fiddle with the ereader settings and still be frustrated when things don't feel exactly right. I don't usually touch the font, line and margin settings on my Kobos at all anymore, once I've set them according to my preferences when I get a new device. I can just open a book and start reading. Bliss.
With the exception of fixed font type and line-spacing (out it goes), I make the identical changes as you have described. Quick and easy.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2022, 10:42 PM   #48
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:

"a minute or two per book" sounds like a little longer than it takes for me to make a similar set of adjustments when opening a book in KOReader - left-aligned, font Bitter, L/R & T/B margin settings, font size and weight, line spacing.

Even when I did have to make all those changes individually it still took no more than a minute. A similar amount of work, the choice simply being when it's done, before transfer to the device or after. For me now, having set my the above changes as my KOReader defaults, it's one or two clicks at most for the odd recalcitrant ebook, none at all for most
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 10:43 PM   #49
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
With the exception of fixed font type and line-spacing (out it goes), I make the identical changes as you have described. Quick and easy.
I throw fixed fonts and line-heights out too. I guess I should have worded it better.
Old 01-12-2022, 10:48 PM   #50
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
"a minute or two per book" sounds like a little longer than it takes for me to make a similar set of adjustments when opening a book in KOReader - left-aligned, font Bitter, L/R & T/B margin settings, font size and weight, line spacing.

Even when I did have to make all those changes individually it still took no more than a minute. A similar amount of work, the choice simply being when it's done, before transfer to the device or after. For me now, having set my the above changes as my KOReader defaults, it's one or two clicks at most for the odd recalcitrant ebook, none at all for most
Of course, whatever floats someone's boat. Personally I don't use KOReader and I may even read a book or two on a Kindle someday (when Amazon releases that 8'' Oasis, I guess), where you can't install KOReader without jailbreaking. So my books are future-proof for any and all device or app I may read them in.
Advert
Old 01-12-2022, 10:55 PM   #51
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
So my books are future-proof for any and all device or app I may read them in.

Since I don't have a Kindle and do have KOReader on my Android tablet, the same is true for me.
Old 01-12-2022, 11:05 PM   #52
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Since I don't have a Kindle and do have KOReader on my Android tablet, the same is true for me.
Yes. As we both said, it's however suits you better. I like to know my books look mostly the same on any device, because I don't know which device I'll want to read them on 10-15 years from now. And I'm pretty anal about having the text look exactly the way I like. For most people, ereader or app settings do the job well enough.
Old 01-12-2022, 11:35 PM   #53
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

It is indeed true that the fact I quite literally often forget I still have the retail-box screen protector on while reading likely disqualifies me from being called anal about the way the way my ebooks look
Old 01-13-2022, 04:47 AM   #54
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Interesting. When I turn on epub page numbers, they can and will overlap the text since the right margin is not adjusted.
The right margin is not adjusted when you turn on the page numbers. The eBook is made to take into account the right margin page numbers which is why you will find some ePub with a wider right margin then left margin.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 04:55 AM   #55
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The right margin is not adjusted when you turn on the page numbers. The eBook is made to take into account the right margin page numbers which is why you will find some ePub with a wider right margin then left margin.
When was the last time you turned it on? Because you are wrong. As @DNSB said, the numbers can overlap the text. Turning them on does not change anything else. Try it and see. And no, it isn't a recent change, it has always been that way.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 05:13 AM   #56
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
When was the last time you turned it on? Because you are wrong. As @DNSB said, the numbers can overlap the text. Turning them on does not change anything else. Try it and see. And no, it isn't a recent change, it has always been that way.
That's not correct. What was being said is that the right margin in the ePub is larger then the left margin. That's done so the text of the right does not overlap the ADE right margin page numbers. The right margin is made larger in CSS.

Turning on the ADE page numbers does not change the right margin.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 05:27 AM   #57
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Quote:
That's not correct. What was being said is that the right margin in the ePub is larger then the left margin. That's done so the text of the right does not overlap the ADE right margin page numbers. The right margin is made larger in CSS.

Turning on the ADE page numbers does not change the right margin.
In the first quote, you say the right side of the book is adjusted to take into account that the page numbers are on. But, now you say it isn't. Which is it?

Of course it is neither. The text is laid out in the same way and the numbers are written where they need to be. And they can overlay the text. As can be seem in the attached screenshot made using my Glo (and a book from one of our members). Margins are set to the minimum, the font a lot larger than I would normally used and I just turned the page until I found this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	epub_number_overlap.png
Views:	89
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	191568  
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 09:58 AM   #58
martinot
Swedish Kobo User
martinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: Kobo Forma, Kindle Paperwhite 11, iPad mini 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzanine View Post
Trying to upgrade from the Aura One is tough. It's not a question of whether the Sage and Forma are better, but whether the marginal improvements are worth the $ if you already own a working 8 inch ereader with most of the same features.

It's completely different if you happen to own a PW3/PW4 and are thinking of getting the new Paperwhite. New Paperwhite is less than half the cost of an 8 inch ereader.
If your are happy with the Aura One, why not continue to use it?
martinot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 10:01 AM   #59
martinot
Swedish Kobo User
martinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: Kobo Forma, Kindle Paperwhite 11, iPad mini 6
Quote:
I think this has been one of the deciders for me with coming to feel tepid affection for my Sage - the reading area WITH a decent margin feels the same as on my H2O with the margin set to zero, making it much easier to read.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzanine View Post
When I read on my 6 inch Clara, I have to use up all the screen real estate by removing header/footer and margins. With the Aura One, I leave the header/footer on and use larger margins.
This is exactly why I think around 8" is the perfect e-reader size for books.
martinot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 10:25 AM   #60
Hydronaut
Hydronaut began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinot View Post
If your are happy with the Aura One, why not continue to use it?
For me, my daughter tried to feed mine to our 16 year Dachsund and it has some nice rows of teethmarks (missing teeth included) acrosss the screen. The battery was dying too.

Amazon Canada got some new Forma's back in stock. If they go down to 259 CDN again I will grab one as I have a few gift cards.
Hydronaut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forma, libra, sage