Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-12-2022, 03:58 AM   #31
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzanine View Post
My experience has been that publishers will sometimes lock their margins so they're not adjustable with the manual margin adjustment slider.
On my part, I never met publisher locked margins (I'm not speaking of PDFs of course), and I've read many books from many different publishers.
I do fiddle with TOCs, getting rid of publicity in the books and such in Sigil, a few other things in Calibre's "edit books", but never margins.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 04:42 AM   #32
kickerofelves
kickerofelves ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kickerofelves ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kickerofelves ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kickerofelves ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kickerofelves ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kickerofelves ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kickerofelves ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kickerofelves ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kickerofelves ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kickerofelves ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kickerofelves ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
I would choose the Forma without a second thought. The extra inch of screen real estate is worth more than any feature benefit of a smaller reader.
This sums it up for me. I have the Oasis & PW III; 90% of my reading is on the Forma because of that extra screen space.
kickerofelves is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2022, 08:42 AM   #33
LDB
Baker Street Irregular
LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PaperWhite 5, Aura One, Glowlight Plus, Scribe, Sage
+1 for the 8 inch screen. The only thing that could make the A1 better would be if it was taller, not wider, and had buttons at the bottom. I'm reading a book now on my Oasis just because I got it free or maybe 99c and it is $10 for Kobo. I'd rather read it on the A1 but not $10 worth.
LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 08:48 AM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deobulakenyo View Post
Not for me. When reading ebooks, sometimes my eyes and my brain gets tired in expecting one page to be completed when there are a lot of texts on it. when the screen is smaller, more turn pages feed the anticipation of progressing. Yes, i know i can make the fonts larger to make up for this but it becomes an unnatural reading process for me looking at humongous fonts.

But i do get the allure of large screens (more battery efficient especially if not using the frontlight as it requires less turn pages).

I like my libra 2 because of the screen clarity and contrast but if a smaller (Clara) E-Carta 1200-screened Kobo becomes available, i will get one for more portability and and on-the-go reading whenever i go out.

for mangas, i use my Likebook P78 and sometimes read manga also on my Libra 2, but mostly on the boyue due to the larger screen.
You could make the L/R margins larger and the line spacing larger in order to have less text on screen. But I've never heard a reason like yours for wanting a smaller screen.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 08:53 AM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
On my part, I never met publisher locked margins (I'm not speaking of PDFs of course), and I've read many books from many different publishers.
I do fiddle with TOCs, getting rid of publicity in the books and such in Sigil, a few other things in Calibre's "edit books", but never margins.
Margins and paragraph spaces are the reasons I got into editing eBooks to fix the formatting. I'm not 100% sure, but it may be using px for the margins is what causes the locks.
Advert
Old 01-12-2022, 08:54 AM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDB View Post
+1 for the 8 inch screen. The only thing that could make the A1 better would be if it was taller, not wider, and had buttons at the bottom. I'm reading a book now on my Oasis just because I got it free or maybe 99c and it is $10 for Kobo. I'd rather read it on the A1 but not $10 worth.
Buttons at the bottom are awful. Sony had buttons at the bottom and they were terrible to use because of where they were.
Old 01-12-2022, 09:32 AM   #37
mezzanine
Groupie
mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Clara, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
I just noticed now that I had Cat's Cradle on my KA1 and the margins aren't locked, but the right margin is twice as wide as the left margin such that even on the narrowest possible margin setting the right margin is still too wide. I believe I was mistaken and it's actually justification that is locked. The point being that having an 8 inch allows these ebook formatting quirks to be tolerated without undermining your ability to enjoy the book.

I can see how it would be easy to go down the rabbit hole of editing books. Trying to "unlock" either fonts or margins has caused me to become at least passably familiar with the edit function in calibre.

Last edited by mezzanine; 01-12-2022 at 10:06 AM.
mezzanine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 10:09 AM   #38
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deobulakenyo View Post
Not for me. When reading ebooks, sometimes my eyes and my brain gets tired in expecting one page to be completed when there are a lot of texts on it. when the screen is smaller, more turn pages feed the anticipation of progressing. Yes, i know i can make the fonts larger to make up for this but it becomes an unnatural reading process for me looking at humongous fonts.

But i do get the allure of large screens (more battery efficient especially if not using the frontlight as it requires less turn pages).

I like my libra 2 because of the screen clarity and contrast but if a smaller (Clara) E-Carta 1200-screened Kobo becomes available, i will get one for more portability and and on-the-go reading whenever i go out.

for mangas, i use my Likebook P78 and sometimes read manga also on my Libra 2, but mostly on the boyue due to the larger screen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You could make the L/R margins larger and the line spacing larger in order to have less text on screen. But I've never heard a reason like yours for wanting a smaller screen.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 10:14 AM   #39
LDB
Baker Street Irregular
LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PaperWhite 5, Aura One, Glowlight Plus, Scribe, Sage
Quote:
Buttons at the bottom are awful. Sony had buttons at the bottom and they were terrible to use because of where they were.
Top would be ok too, just as long as they aren't on the side so it becomes more square than book shaped which also makes it too wide to fit well in a jacket pocket.
LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 10:16 AM   #40
mezzanine
Groupie
mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Clara, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDB View Post
I envision an ereader half as thick and half as heavy as the ones we use now. It should appear visually like just the e-ink screen itself. I think they could make it now, but those of us complaining about the Sage's battery life wouldn't be pleased.
mezzanine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 01:55 PM   #41
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinot View Post
I agree 100% with the difference between 8" and 7" for reading books. I also agree that for comics or many PDFs 10" is the minimum. Good comments.
I would like an 8" Libra. The sage alas is not that. Way heavier, poor battery, and writing which I would never use but adds to cost and probably makes the screen worse
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 02:27 PM   #42
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
I would choose the Forma without a second thought. The extra inch of screen real estate is worth more than any feature benefit of a smaller reader.
Agree. The other difference, which doesn't get mentioned that much, is that the Forma has a flush-with-the-bezel screen, whereas the Libra does not. The battery life on my Forma has been nothing but outstanding.
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 04:35 PM   #43
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I just noticed now that I had Cat's Cradle on my KA1 and the margins aren't locked, but the right margin is twice as wide as the left margin such that even on the narrowest possible margin setting the right margin is still too wide. I believe I was mistaken and it's actually justification that is locked. The point being that having an 8 inch allows these ebook formatting quirks to be tolerated without undermining your ability to enjoy the book.

I can see how it would be easy to go down the rabbit hole of editing books. Trying to "unlock" either fonts or margins has caused me to become at least passably familiar with the edit function in calibre.
The right margin being larger then the left margin is because of the ADE page numbers on the right side of the screen or window.
Old 01-12-2022, 04:46 PM   #44
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
The right margin being larger then the left margin is because of the ADE page numbers on the right side of the screen or window.
Interesting. When I turn on epub page numbers, they can and will overlap the text since the right margin is not adjusted.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 06:41 PM   #45
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
For the record, someone's description of what is happening with margins is wrong. It was what happened a long time ago. At that time, the margins setting acted as a multiplier of the margins in the book. If the book had margins set to 1em or other relative units, then the slider multiplied that. But, if the book had the margin set to absolute elements, they could not be changed.

Kobo changed this so that the margins acted around the page. They have effectively added whitespace around the text and the margins slider affects how wide this is. So the margins become what the publisher has set plus what the margins set.

Also, for something the above, you can use my Kobo Utilities plugin to set the margins for the book. It can set them separately so that you could set the right margin to zero and the left to 1 or whatever works. You would lose the settings if you change them when reading the device, but, it might help to improve the reading experience for this book.

Quote:
I agree with the rabbit hole. My tendency is to try the book and fix it when I don't like it. The formatting has gotten better and it is usually easier to fix now. Unfortunately, once I start...that rabbit hole becomes very deep

You could try the CSS modify function in the driver. This appends some CSS to the end of each stylesheet in the book when it is sent to the device. You might be able to override the margins with that. Because the styles used are different, you would need to fiddle with it to get it right for the largest number of cases.

Last edited by davidfor; 01-12-2022 at 06:46 PM.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forma, libra, sage