Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-26-2021, 08:24 PM   #31
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbout View Post
I know pdf can be very readable on an 8ish device and impressed with koreader, just don't know how well that translates to viewability on a 7
It doesn't. My usual statement for PDF on Kobo devices (I cannot comment on other devices) is that they display the PDF very well. But, if you need to zoom in at all, the navigation is terrible and probably not worth it. If the PDF page size is the same as the screen size, they work. And work well. But, an A4 page is terrible on any of the devices.

Honestly, if reading PDF is at all important to you, stick with a larger, full featured tablet. Don't compromise, you will not be happy.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 08:39 PM   #32
jgbout
Groupie
jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.jgbout can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: none
This DARN forum keeps posting empty replies from me. Takes me a few tries for it to post.

Anyway................ short repost is this.

Actually David - the 7" Libra is Great for my PDF chess books ! As long as read in Landscape. I use reading glasses, and with them on, size is fine - even the chess diagrams are crisp.

When I find easy instructions on installing just KOReader and crop the margins/fit to screen, I'm sure it will be even better.

Is 8" better? I'm sure it is, but for the $115 saved reading what might be 15% of my library PDFs this way is great.

What I'm not sure on is --- watching vid reviews, I thought the NON-LIT screen would be much whiter than this.

This screen reminds me of the dull grey/olive color of old Palm OS devices. Is that normal ?

Thanks
jgbout is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2021, 02:54 AM   #33
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbout View Post

This screen reminds me of the dull grey/olive color of old Palm OS devices. Is that normal ?

Thanks
Yes, it's normal. To have a whiter screen, the frontlight must be on. Not high, just enough for the screen look whiter.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 05:45 PM   #34
Ladyrixx
Zealot
Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro, Kobo Mini, Nook Glowlight 2, Kobo Forma
My e-readers are the only thing I do buy extended warranties on. Right after asking the question: "Will this cover it if I drop it down the stairs (again)"

My Forma had issues sleeping/waking up until I stopped using the sleep cover. I didn't like the angle it held it at for reading anyway.

Honestly, the only thing I don't like about my Forma is the odd shape. Apparently I'm the only person in the world that wants to read with it in portrait orientation, and all the cases that fit it want to prop it up in landscape mode.

If they put out a new edition of the mini with a backlight and physical page turn buttons, that would be the perfect e-reader, imo.
Ladyrixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 09:50 PM   #35
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyrixx View Post
Honestly, the only thing I don't like about my Forma is the odd shape. Apparently I'm the only person in the world that wants to read with it in portrait orientation, and all the cases that fit it want to prop it up in landscape mode.
I thought the official Forma case worked in either landscape or portrait. It has been a while since I tried. The case for the Libra H2O works both ways.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2021, 06:47 PM   #36
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I thought the official Forma case worked in either landscape or portrait. It has been a while since I tried. The case for the Libra H2O works both ways.
It does. The case design is identical for both the Forma and Libra.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ban, flicker, forma, libra