Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-15-2013, 06:19 AM   #76
jackthereader
jackthereader is faster than slow light.jackthereader is faster than slow light.jackthereader is faster than slow light.jackthereader is faster than slow light.jackthereader is faster than slow light.jackthereader is faster than slow light.jackthereader is faster than slow light.jackthereader is faster than slow light.jackthereader is faster than slow light.jackthereader is faster than slow light.jackthereader is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goner View Post
I heard on a Dutch Kobo forum that 3.0.0 is now also available (via Sync) for the Glo.
Not for all Dutch Glo's apparently... I synced both via wifi and the Kobo app and there is no update for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goner View Post
I heard on a Dutch Kobo forum that 3.0.0 is now also available (via Sync) for the Glo.
Turned out to be 2.10
Oh, OK. Dutch Glo's normally receive the update about 3 weeks after the initial announcement in my experience.

Last edited by jackthereader; 11-15-2013 at 06:28 AM.
jackthereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:20 AM   #77
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angemon View Post
Here's something that's annoying in 3.0.0: when you finish reading a sideloaded cbr it doesn't automatically updates the number of read books. It was like that with cbr/cbz, but now i can no longer long press it and choose "mark as read" because that option is not showing up anymore. And it won't update the number even if i mark it as unread and then as read.
The only CBR I have on my Glo has "Mark as finished" in its menu. As to increasing the read books count, from memory this only happens when you finish the book by reading it. Or at least going to the last page and then tapping the screen to go to the next page.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2013, 08:18 AM   #78
vice-versa
whippet addict
vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura 6", Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Sage
this time, I updated from the start. It's processing now. I hope I won't have the bug that get my glo to sleep back just after awakening if I don't touch the screen... Fingers crossed... Thanks everyone to give us the links and the procedures

Edit : Ok : that bug's gone, and that was just what was bothering me I'm happy as could be

Last edited by vice-versa; 11-15-2013 at 08:26 AM.
vice-versa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:05 AM   #79
Angemon
Enthusiast
Angemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to behold

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura, Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The only CBR I have on my Glo has "Mark as finished" in its menu. As to increasing the read books count, from memory this only happens when you finish the book by reading it. Or at least going to the last page and then tapping the screen to go to the next page.
I wasn't clear enough on that. The "mark as finished" option isn't showing up for CBRs which i've finished reading although it had that option on previous firmwares. For me, CBR/CBZ files never added to the "Books read" count even though they were read page by page and a page turn on the last page sent me back to the home screen, hence why i had to use the "Mark as finished" option. That happened with every firmware i used (2.6.1b, 2.8.1, 2.10 and now 3.0.0). Kobo books and sideloaded epubs work fine though.
Angemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:30 AM   #80
Risto40
Enthusiast
Risto40 is a marvel to beholdRisto40 is a marvel to beholdRisto40 is a marvel to beholdRisto40 is a marvel to beholdRisto40 is a marvel to beholdRisto40 is a marvel to beholdRisto40 is a marvel to beholdRisto40 is a marvel to beholdRisto40 is a marvel to beholdRisto40 is a marvel to beholdRisto40 is a marvel to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crysik View Post
Since I updated the whole device has been running a lot faster and smoother. Even if they didn't add anything (which they did) it would be worth an update based just on the performace.
I don't know if they add something (compared to 2.10.0), but I do know that they removed options in 3.0.0 of accessing translator/dictionary from the menu when reading pdf file/book.
I just don't understand why they did that. For people who read books in foreign languages, they sometimes need to find a translation or explanation for a word they don't know, quickly.
I need dictionary and due to lack of this option in the newest FW, I seriously considering going back to 2.10, despite the whole system may work somewhat slower.
Risto40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2013, 09:42 AM   #81
magphil
Connoisseur
magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3, Kobo glow
What I find a complete nonsense in recent firmwares is the way to navigate the library, be it books or shelves.

Having to search for specific pages with no possibility to quickly turn or browse pages is simply ridiculous. I hate it.

Is there a way to get the page browser back in the library ?
magphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:45 AM   #82
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by magphil View Post
What I find a complete nonsense in recent firmwares is the way to navigate the library, be it books or shelves.

Having to search for specific pages with no possibility to quickly turn or browse pages is simply ridiculous. I hate it.

You can swipe
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:13 AM   #83
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by magphil View Post

I hate it to. You can swipe, but the page is so full that it is easy to open a shelf or book accidentally, and I really hate that. Ugly, ugly, ugly.

People squawk about extra white space, I squawk about insufficient in this instance.

Maybe there is a way around this besides being ultra careful and getting an insect protector for the screen ( a fly opened a collection and it took me over a minute to get back to where I was) but if so why doesn't Kobo document it?

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:30 AM   #84
Crysik
Crysik is a marvel to beholdCrysik is a marvel to beholdCrysik is a marvel to beholdCrysik is a marvel to beholdCrysik is a marvel to beholdCrysik is a marvel to beholdCrysik is a marvel to beholdCrysik is a marvel to beholdCrysik is a marvel to beholdCrysik is a marvel to beholdCrysik is a marvel to behold

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBosch View Post
Just for my better understanding:

Do you compare the improvement with 2.8 or 2.10 ? - and with an Aura ?

thank you
Im comparing with 2.8 on an Aura HD. I didnt get enough time with 2.10 before updating to notice if 3.0.0 improved things further but I do have a feeling that it made it even more responsive.
Crysik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 12:57 PM   #85
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crysik View Post
Im comparing with 2.8 on an Aura HD. I didnt get enough time with 2.10 before updating to notice if 3.0.0 improved things further but I do have a feeling that it made it even more responsive.
I didn't find 2.8.1 slow at all, but somehow 3.0.0 just seems to be even faster. One particular improvement seems to be with the page turning in epubs: in 2.8.1 turning one page was fast, but if I tried to turn a few pages in quick sucession then there was often a bit of a glitch in the way the second or third page was displayed. But in 3.0.0 every page displays smoothly, page after page, no matter how many or how quickly I turn.

I was pretty happy with 2.8.1, and I don't expect to use Pocket at all, but even so I think 3.0.0 is a solid improvement, well worth the upgrade.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 01:11 PM   #86
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
I didn't find 2.8.1 slow at all, but somehow 3.0.0 just seems to be even faster. One particular improvement seems to be with the page turning in epubs: in 2.8.1 turning one page was fast, but if I tried to turn a few pages in quick sucession then there was often a bit of a glitch in the way the second or third page was displayed. But in 3.0.0 every page displays smoothly, page after page, no matter how many or how quickly I turn.

I was pretty happy with 2.8.1, and I don't expect to use Pocket at all, but even so I think 3.0.0 is a solid improvement, well worth the upgrade.
I found the same in 2.10 but it reverted in a few days to the half page double/triple refreshes we all know and love.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 01:31 PM   #87
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
For once I got impatient and sideloaded 3.0 on my Touch. Very, very glad I did. Although there is a significant bug with sleep mode & covers, the performance upgrade from 2.6.1 is unbelievable.

I keep my Shadowrun 5th Ed core rulebook on my Touch (on a 2GB SD card.) It's a fairly large (44.2MB) graphics-heavy PDF. under 2.6.1 things were slow. Zooming in on a page with a double-tap could take seconds. Under 3.0 it's virtually instantaneous. I can't believe it's the same device.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 01:58 PM   #88
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angemon View Post
I wasn't clear enough on that. The "mark as finished" option isn't showing up for CBRs which i've finished reading although it had that option on previous firmwares. For me, CBR/CBZ files never added to the "Books read" count even though they were read page by page and a page turn on the last page sent me back to the home screen, hence why i had to use the "Mark as finished" option. That happened with every firmware i used (2.6.1b, 2.8.1, 2.10 and now 3.0.0). Kobo books and sideloaded epubs work fine though.
I wonder if the options under reading activity are checked off.

Make sure "TRACK READING ACTIVITY" is checked on, this may be issue it may not.

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 03:04 PM   #89
Angemon
Enthusiast
Angemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to behold

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura, Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
I wonder if the options under reading activity are checked off.

Make sure "TRACK READING ACTIVITY" is checked on, this may be issue it may not.

regards

Jack
Yeah, it's on. It's working fine with kobo books and sideloaded epubs, just not with CBRs.
Angemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:43 PM   #90
kaufman
Calibre Companion Fanatic
kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Davidfor's Kobo utilities will let you sort the books by series number. It works very well.

Helen
Does it let you sort by series or just include series information?

Thanks.
kaufman is offline   Reply With Quote