Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-11-2008, 10:42 AM   #1
Anhunedd
Anhunedd began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
ConvertLIT - Going mad trying to get this to work

I'm trying to get ConvertLIT to work to strip DRM off LIT files, so I can buy some and use them on my Sony. But I'm getting nowhere and I can't work out why.

I've downloaded a test DRMd LIT from Fictionwise (they provide one for free) and I've activated MS Reader downloaded from MS. So far, so good, it reads fine on the PC.

I have clit18.zip, and that contains ReaderKeyRecoveryTool.exe which I need to run first to get my key(s) out of MS Reader. Fine.

First problem was I kept getting an "Invalid HOOK.DLL" message. I finally traced that down to the fact there was a completely different hook.dll in my windows\system32 directory which was presumably taking precedence over the one supplied with clit18.zip - I renamed this for the time being, and got further.

I am now stuck with every time I run ReaderKeyRecoveryTool.exe and hit "Get Key" I get an error:

Remote Error: ResumeThread for d0 failed (2).
Error Code: 0
The operation completed successfully.
Error while launching MSREADER.

And all I end up with is an empty keys.txt file.

I've tried it with MS Reader already running and not running - same error.
I've tried adding the path to MS Reader to my main path just in case. No joy.
I've tried copying ReaderKeyRecoveryTool.exe and hook.dll to the MS Reader install directory and running it there. No joy.
I've tried it on a second PC. No joy.
I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling MS Reader. No joy.

Help!

I was wondering if it is a new version of MS Reader that is causing this, but the download page says it hasn't been updated since May 19, 2005, so I don't think that is it. (The install I have is MSReaderSetupUSA.exe and is version 2.11.15.0 if anyone can compare to theirs).

I'm out of ideas. I did try clit15.zip, but that does a similar thing - the error on the command line is

ResumeThread for 1964 failed (2).
Anhunedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 11:19 AM   #2
dcalder
Zealot
dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Sony PRS-300/Kindle Keyboard/iPad Mini
Try googling for Convertlit GUI and give it a shot. I've had good luck with using it and following the directions on its homepage.
dcalder is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2008, 11:34 AM   #3
Anhunedd

Ha! I've managed it. Random mucking around got it to work in the end:

I uninstalled MSReader. I then ran ReaderKeyRecoveryTool.exe which predicatably said it couldn't find MSReader.exe.

So I reinstalled MSReader and then ran ReaderKeyRecoveryTool.exe - this time it went a bit differently and fired up MSReader - wahay! - told me to open a DRM file - wahay! - and promptly crashed with a warning about Data Execution Protection - boo!

Having had some experience with DEP, I know that is designed to prevent one program messing with another, which I guess is exactly what this is doing, so I disabled DEP for MSReader.exe and ran ReaderKeyRecoveryTool.exe again...

Back to the old errors. Arghh!

I then decided to repeat the process. Uninstalled MS Reader. Reinstalled. Ran ReaderKeyRecoveryTool.exe and...

SUCCESS!

It would appear that you need to run the tool without ever running MSReader first after a reinstall. And disable DEP. And don't have another hook.dll lying around

Phew. Off to Fictionwise now!
Old 01-11-2008, 11:46 AM   #4
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
I've just got the free Secure Reader file from Fictionwise and converted it with the ConvertLit GUI. The only real issue was that I had to (re)activate my PC/MS Reader (maybe because it was a few years since I last did so) but once I could read it via MS Reader, ConvertLit GUI had no problems in grabbing my key & then downconverting the .lit.

[Read your second post...]
Are you running Vista - I'm still on XP & DEP doesn't sound familiar...
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 12:13 PM   #5
Anhunedd

Data Execution Prevention (yeah, I know I typed Protection in my previous message) is included in Windows XP, but as far as I know, only activates itself if you have a processor with the special hardware to support it. I have an Opteron in my PC, so it is on.

If you have it, you will find it by right clicking on My Computer, select the Advanced tab, then select the Performance Settings button and you will then find the Data Execution Prevention tab there if your machine supports it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_Execution_Prevention

has more info.
Advert
Old 01-16-2008, 10:13 AM   #6
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Argh. I am having the same issues as you did but re-installs are not helping me at all! I get the same error you had:

Remote Error: ResumeThread for d0 failed (2).
The operation completed successfully.
Error while launching MSREADER.

I used the first option in the DEP tab. Then I tried the second option and specified msreader.exe but still no joy. What a pain, I hate DRM!
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 04:25 PM   #7
Nik
Nik began at the beginning.

Device: cybook gen3
Is it suppose to work with Vista?

My MS Reader closed without putting a key in the text file.
Nik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 04:27 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Nik, good question. ConvertLIT was written well before Vista was even a drip down Bill Gates leg.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 04:34 PM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik View Post
Is it suppose to work with Vista?

My MS Reader closed without putting a key in the text file.
It works for me in Vista, it crashes MS Reader when running the Key tool, but does generate a keys.txt file that works.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 04:54 PM   #10
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Got mine working, btw. Just did a reboot, that's all.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 01:14 PM   #11
Blu
Blu began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket PC
Can't get Recovery Tool to work

Hello everyone,

Your help would be extremely appreciated if you could aid me with this issue...

When I attempt to run the recovery key tool, it momentarily flashes "Remote error: start address 000000" and then that goes away and it opens up Microsoft Reader. I think click on a DRM5 ebook...it opens...and.....

....nothing happens....

It doesn't get the keys and it doesn't close the program, that's it...nothing happens.

Advice would be extremely appreciated

Thanks,
Blu
Blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 01:18 PM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu View Post
Hello everyone,

Your help would be extremely appreciated if you could aid me with this issue...

When I attempt to run the recovery key tool, it momentarily flashes "Remote error: start address 000000" and then that goes away and it opens up Microsoft Reader. I think click on a DRM5 ebook...it opens...and.....

....nothing happens....

It doesn't get the keys and it doesn't close the program, that's it...nothing happens.

Advice would be extremely appreciated

Thanks,
Blu
Did you activate your microsoft reader? If you just open MS reader and read that DRMed book, it works ok?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 01:21 PM   #13
Blu

Response to Bob

Yes, all the books work fine.

I could extract a DRM3 file from Convertlit GUI too, and all the books work.

Thanks for your response Bob, I hope we can fix this =)

Blu
Old 04-09-2008, 01:32 PM   #14
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu View Post
Yes, all the books work fine.

I could extract a DRM3 file from Convertlit GUI too, and all the books work.

Thanks for your response Bob, I hope we can fix this =)

Blu
I'm stumped. Are you using the most recent version of ConvertLIT? all I did was install and activate MS Reader 2.0. Double click on the .exe, select a book, MS Reader closed and I had the check box, press ok and I have the keys file.

Are you doing this on Vista or XP?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 01:38 PM   #15
Blu

Xp

I also have all antivirus/firewall things that might interfere off...

Blu