Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-03-2007, 10:45 AM   #1
hapax legomenon
Erotica Writer
hapax legomenon doesn't litterhapax legomenon doesn't litter

Device: ipad, Sony Reader PRS 505, Cybook 3
Digital Edition support for PRS-500?

Does Sony plan to include future support for Adobe Digital Editions for PRS-500?

(I know it will be doing so for the 505).
hapax legomenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 12:25 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
They haven't said. More to the point they have said they're still considering what might or might not be back-ported to the 500.

Of course a lot of it will depend on what the not-yet-existent mobile version of DE requires to run properly, and whether the 500 can meet those requirements.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2008, 06:02 PM   #3
NickHiatt243
NickHiatt243 began at the beginning.

Device: prs-500
digital editions date

Has anybody heard anything about a release date for adobe digital edition for the sony reader?
NickHiatt243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 07:21 PM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
For the PRS-500? There very likely will not be another update. Sorry.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 01:44 PM   #5
morpheus
Aio, quantitas magna frum
morpheus began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
That sucks. I've noticed Sony is quick to drop support for products once a new one is out. My PRS500 is barely 12 months old and I've been underwhelmed with the Sony software.

If Apple took the same approach, my 2G iPhone would still be running 1.x software.
morpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2008, 02:27 PM   #6
duckeedoug
Zealot
duckeedoug doesn't litterduckeedoug doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 505
Apple does the same thing, but more so with their hardware rather then their software. Specifically you cant use most previous IPOD accessories with the current line of IPODs products. Apple started this practice with last years generation of IPODS and it got even worse with last weeks annoucement of IPODS.

I'm Not trying to take this thread off topic, but facts are facts
duckeedoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 01:48 PM   #7
morpheus

Au contraire. My new iPhone works with my years old Bose Sounddock, and my old iPods work fine with the latest iTunes 8. I have got dozens of new features in the time I've had that iPod. Sure, not every piece of hardware is compatible but hardware is a lot less flexible than software.

Apple is light years ahead of Sony in this respect. I have several Vaio's as well as a PRS 500 and Sony's software support on drivers etc is equally lacklustre. It's a common complaint with Japanese companies that their post-sale customer care is weak, and Sony has this problem in spades. At some point I guess I'll learn my lesson. :-/

Last edited by morpheus; 09-20-2008 at 01:50 PM.
Old 09-20-2008, 02:10 PM   #8
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by morpheus View Post
Au contraire. My new iPhone works with my years old Bose Sounddock, and my old iPods work fine with the latest iTunes 8. I have got dozens of new features in the time I've had that iPod. Sure, not every piece of hardware is compatible but hardware is a lot less flexible than software.
I thought that the reason that DE was not implemented in the 505 was hardware related (it is not possible to implement properly).
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 06:12 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you look at the iPod Touch and hwere the connectors are, you'll see that they are different then before. I've seen some of the add-on battery chargers that won;t allow you to listen to the Touch while charging. Apple changes the hardware enough that somethings no longer work.

Sony created the 500 before De and it turns out it won't run mobile DE. It was not a decision on Sony's part to make the 500 not work with DE.

Last edited by JSWolf; 09-20-2008 at 06:16 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 12:26 PM   #10
morpheus

I've seen Sony claim "After lengthy discussion and investigation of different solutions, we determined that such an upgrade would not be technically feasible"

I find it hard to believe the 505 has such a radically different hardware architecture, given it runs the same embedded Montavista Linux OS, it has the same Dragonball CPU and was launched so soon after the 500. Sony simply didn't have time to develop a whole new platform.

FWIW, I've been in the business of building similar devices for years. I think "not feasible" in this context may simply mean Sony don't want to do the software development on an EOL'ed platform.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:05 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by morpheus View Post
FWIW, I've been in the business of building similar devices for years. I think "not feasible" in this context may simply mean Sony don't want to do the software development on an EOL'ed platform.
Which is perfectly reasonable. They would not get any revenue as a result of doing so, after all.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 08:55 PM   #12
morpheus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Which is perfectly reasonable. They would not get any revenue as a result of doing so, after all.
It's perfectly reasonable if your goal is to simply sell one PRS500. If your goal is to create a satisfied customer, then it's not. That's the difference between Apple and Sony. My 2G iPhone is over a year old and Apple keeps adding new features without charge, even though the 2G model has been obsolete since June.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:35 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Supposedly the difference is that the 500 doesn't have enough ram to run mobile DE.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote