Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-04-2008, 12:23 PM   #1
travislaborde
travislaborde began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
Question Is it possible to "bookmark" an mp3?

So, I've copied an audio ebook which is 290 small mp3 files. I play the first one and playback continues through to the next ones(s) just as expected.

But, I don't see a way to make the reader remember which one I was on when I last listened.

My scenario is, I play the files on the way to work, hit the "stop" button, and then I want to start back where I left off later. When I plug the reader into my PC to charge it, it forgets where I was.

I must say, I *LOVE* the reader, but... the thing that finally pushed me over the edge to buy one was that I thought it could do this, replacing my mp3 player for those duties. I don't need a lot of fancy features, but... The ability to remember where I was inside an audiobook, whether it be 290 small files one one huge one, is crucial.

Can this be done? Even with a hack?

Thanks,
Travis
travislaborde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 05:47 PM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Let me offer some information on this:

First, I use my ipod to regularly listen to Old Time Radio. I convert Mp3 to m4a format, which is capable of setting bookmarks - or, I should say more properly, you can start where you leave off. These programs are typically 30-60 long. Also, I've converted audiobooks to m4a with no problem.

There are a number of converters (mp3 to m4a) that will convert AND consolidate those pesky and numerous little mp3 files.

Now, I must say this: I've never used my Sony Reader to listen to mp3 files, so I can't verify whether these m4a files will work on the Reader, but my conversions work beautifully on my ipod.

I hope this in some measure answers your question.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 07:36 PM   #3
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I think that m4a files will play on the 505 (as it's specs say it supports aac files--which is what an m4a file really is (not sure why the different extension--probably just to make it more confusing!). This doesn't necessarily mean that the files would be able to remember where you leave off--as this functionality is built into the iPod/iTunes interface.

I love my iPod and find that it is great for listening to audio books--I use it much more for that than for listening to music. I highly recommend using a dedicated mp3 player (such as the iPod) that supports "resume" for listening to audio books.

Check out this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24634

Dr. Drib--One thing regarding listening to audio books on your iPod, did you know that if you change the extension of the m4a file to .m4b before transferring it to your iPod, it will automatically treat it as an audio book (remembering file position and letting you change the playback speed on the newer iPods)? It will also add the book to the audio book menu on the iPod.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 06:41 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Sony (and every other eBook reader that I know of) makes a quite dreadful MP3 player. I'd strongly suggest that you carry on using a separate MP3 player - it'll be far better at it!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 07:46 AM   #5
travislaborde

Thanks - sigh :(

Thanks for the responses. It's really disappointing. I hated my iPod and brought it back ages ago. I have an Archos, and a PocketPC. I would love to have one device for both functions.

I'm considering returning the Reader guessing that soon enough a competitor or upgrade will enter the market with a more functional mp3 player.

But... I love it!

/sigh
Old 06-05-2008, 07:48 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You'd really base your selection of an eBook reader on its capabilities as an MP3 player?
Old 06-05-2008, 11:27 AM   #7
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
[OT-Warning, sorry] I listen mp3/ogg/internet radio on my iLiad. It has got it's odds, but I use it quite often. Bookmarking in mp3 is working there, because the music player daemon [the program behind the jukebox] writes a status file, when playback stops.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21593
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 06:59 PM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
I think that m4a files will play on the 505 (as it's specs say it supports aac files--which is what an m4a file really is (not sure why the different extension--probably just to make it more confusing!). This doesn't necessarily mean that the files would be able to remember where you leave off--as this functionality is built into the iPod/iTunes interface.

I love my iPod and find that it is great for listening to audio books--I use it much more for that than for listening to music. I highly recommend using a dedicated mp3 player (such as the iPod) that supports "resume" for listening to audio books.

Check out this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24634

Dr. Drib--One thing regarding listening to audio books on your iPod, did you know that if you change the extension of the m4a file to .m4b before transferring it to your iPod, it will automatically treat it as an audio book (remembering file position and letting you change the playback speed on the newer iPods)? It will also add the book to the audio book menu on the iPod.

dordale
Hi, yes...actually I am aware of this as I've turned a number of CD audio discs in mp3 format using m4b and m4a. I have a program I use for this, as it automates the process. I mean, I HAD a program, before my hard disk crashed on me. I haven't had the time yet to search through the internet for it to download it again.

Thanks,
Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 08:03 AM   #9
travislaborde

Audio is the "kicker"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You'd really base your selection of an eBook reader on its capabilities as an MP3 player?
Harry, yes, I think I will. Especially now that I've seen that the Iliad seems to do it

I realize that the mp3 playback isn't the focus of the Reader, or any ebook reader for that matter. But for me, the ability to use it to playback my audiobooks as well was the little "extra" that made me spend the money.

I've got an index card behind my Sony Reader where I jot down which mp3 I'm currently "on" in my audiobook. I use that to pick the right one when I start listening again. Ugh.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:24 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I guess I just feel that, given that you can get for a few $ an MP3 player small enough to carry around everywhere with you in your pocket, it's a bit of a non-issue. Even the most basic of MP3 players has more capabilities than that of any dedicated eBook reader.

MP3s are outright "dangerous" on the Sony in particular, because once it start playing something it doesn't have a "stop" button, only a "pause". It's all too easy to inadvertantly leave it playing and drain your battery flat.
Old 06-06-2008, 01:58 PM   #11
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I'm in agreement with Harry on this issue. For the difference in price between a 505 and an iLiad, you can get a pretty nice mp3 player for playing audio books.

I personally listen to a lot of audio books. I've never considered trying to listen to them on my 505-PRS. When I'm listening to audio books, I'm usually moving around with earphones on and my mp3 player in my pocket or hanging from a lanyard from my neck. I definitely wouldn't feel comfortable banging my Reader around the way I do my mp3 player when I'm moving around!!

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 02:08 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I use my Rio Karma for listening to MP3/OGG/FLAC. It means I'm not excessivly draining the battery of my 505. Also my Rio Karma has a really nice learther case tat clips onto my belt. So it doesn't get in the way. I prefer to have more battery life for my 505 dfor reading. Also, my Rio Karma sounds a lot better then my 505. The 505 is just OK at best.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
howto, mp3