Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-29-2010, 05:04 PM   #1
node
node began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Suggestion: View Covers within fetched metadata

Hello. I'm currently editing the information of a number of books together and would find it VERY useful to more easily pick the cover I want i.e. the hardback edition covers of a certain author.

Currently, this involves a LOT of frustrating guess work, back and forth, trying different editions etc. If there was an option to show cover thumbnails when selecting which metadata option you want to tag the book with, that would be a huge time saver and very convenient feature.

Alternatively, just an option to browse a few different book covers instead of the random "download cover" button.

Otherwise, GREAT app, thank you all for the hard work on it.
node is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:23 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The problem with showing multiple covers is that it greatly slows down the download process, making day to day use much less efficient.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2010, 08:28 PM   #3
node

Hi Kovid, thanks for the quick reply. I thought that might be an issue, though I think the time saved fetching meta data has, for me, been far exceeded by the time taken trying to find the cover I have in mind for various books (i.e. the ones used in my country).

Might it instead be possible to add a "Download cover thumbnails" button to the "Fetch metadata from the server" window then, or make it a preference that's off by default?

Or offer a gallery to choose from when you press "Download cover"?

Right now it can be a very time consuming, hit and miss process finding the covers you have in mind, that's all. For example getting an entire series to all use the same style of cover.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:30 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Feel free to open a ticket with a feature request. But it's not a high priority for me. So unless someone else writes the code, it will take a while to get implemented
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:46 PM   #5
node

Understood, will do. Thanks for the reply and all your effort on calibre.
Advert