Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 07-23-2011, 06:40 PM   #301
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
I have voted in the poll and would like to see either:
1. Pulitzer prize winners
2. Action/Adventure
or
3. Historical Fiction

Thanks!
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 06:47 AM   #302
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Outside of what categories, can I move that we somehow increase the time alloted to read a book prior to discussion? Right now I don't see how I would ever participate in a Dickens discussion when I can only average 20-25 pages a day most of the time. We should have at least a month to read the next title.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2011, 07:08 AM   #303
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Outside of what categories, can I move that we somehow increase the time alloted to read a book prior to discussion? Right now I don't see how I would ever participate in a Dickens discussion when I can only average 20-25 pages a day most of the time. We should have at least a month to read the next title.
I am not sure there is that much leeway in time. To have a book a month, including the time needed for the nomination and voting process, requires slightly less than a month of reading time for the discussion to begin once the book selection is finalized. The start of the discussion is just the start anyway. It can go on as long as anyone wishes to still contribute. Why, just last night there was another comment added to the Maltese Falcon discussion. Some people need less time than is not allowed, some more.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:41 AM   #304
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
^We have as much time as we want.

Just have the decision for August happening at the end of June instead of at the end of July. The decision for September would start at the end of July.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:03 PM   #305
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Take September... Have the nominations for September be the 2nd week in August. Then when that is done, we have the vote be for the rest of the time left in August. The Discussion for the August book can start September 1.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2011, 04:51 PM   #306
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
As far as reading time, we select a book each month.. you can join the discussion anytime you want. It doesn't have to be on the first day the thread opens.

So, take your time at it.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 09:17 PM   #307
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post

Mobile Read 2010 Book List

January
Wild Card (no nominations, a vote of all the non-winning nominations from the last 11 months)

February
Romance

March

Nonfiction

April

Humor

May

Classic

June

Thriller/Suspense

July

Fantasy (trees/magic)

August

Free For All (any genre)

September

Mystery/Crime

October

Horror

November
Science Fiction (rivets/science)

December

Classic

BOb

Yes, I am already looking ahead.

I read the 2nd place book for September which will not officially be discussed so I wanted to see what was coming up next.

I am not a fan of Horror (in books or movies) so I'll be skipping October.

I plan to take part in November, but then skip December and be back in January. I am quite looking forward to January as its just a straight vote!

Happy reading everyone!
Old 09-12-2011, 10:19 AM   #308
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
...I read the 2nd place book for September which will not officially be discussed so I wanted to see what was coming up next. ...
You know you can always start a discussion thread on the runner up. It's been done more than once. I even started one before.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:21 AM   #309
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
You know you can always start a discussion thread on the runner up. It's been done more than once. I even started one before.
True. Thanks.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:05 PM   #310
Nyssa
Series Addict

Question Two Questions?

1. Will a moderator please "stickie" this thread?

2. Are we going to repeat this genre list in 2012?
Old 09-26-2011, 09:17 PM   #311
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I hope we can still dump the extra classics.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 11:38 PM   #312
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I hope we can still dump the extra classics.
Not likely. Vote was taken; "remove extra classics" lost rather substantially.

There's plenty of us who don't care for the extra classics, for several reasons, but more people like them. And even without a neat, objective definition of "classic," the selection process is enough of a filter for most of us to not worry about it.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 09:29 AM   #313
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
1. Will a moderator please "stickie" this thread?

There's already a sticky will the monthly lists that was started by Elfwreck here.

2. Are we going to repeat this genre list in 2012?
I had assumed the vote we had a few months back would cover 2012, but in looking through this and the vote thread, I see my assumption may be unwarranted.

Would other folks like to revisit the categories for 2012, or leave them as they stand?

If we decide to revisit them, we could all start nominating categories in a new thread. I'm open to suggestions on how best to handle the nominations and votes.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 09:42 AM   #314
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:

Would other folks like to revisit the categories for 2012, or leave them as they stand?

I vote for leave them as they stand.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 09:45 AM   #315
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
I had assumed the vote we had a few months back would cover 2012, but in looking through this and the vote thread, I see my assumption may be unwarranted.
Or most people are happy, thought the matter settled, and are annoyed at the fact that the same few people keep raising the same issue over and over?