Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 12-29-2020, 11:13 AM   #1
ichnilatis
Groupie
ichnilatis once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ichnilatis once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ichnilatis once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ichnilatis once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ichnilatis once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ichnilatis once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ichnilatis once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ichnilatis once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ichnilatis once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ichnilatis once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ichnilatis once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
Problem with ocr

Hi,
I have installed ell.traineddata and grc.traineddata into koreader/data/tessdata, but KOReader doesn't recognize a scanned pdf I have in Ancient Greek, even I have switched on the "Forced OCR".

I would also like to ask why there are only two options for "Document Language", English and Chinese?

Thank you for your help!

P.S.: Let me wish you all a blessed new year. May the light of the newborn Christ illuminate your heart in a dark hopeless world! (sorry if it is not politically correct)
ichnilatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 12:06 PM   #2
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
I suspect it was written by a Chinese contributor many years ago. Ideally someone would polish it a bit by making the options depend on what's in that folder, but for the moment you can set the default in persistent.defaults.lua.

Incidentally, is there a document available on Archive.org or some such to test with?
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2020, 12:26 PM   #3
ichnilatis
Groupie
ichnilatis once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ichnilatis once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ichnilatis once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ichnilatis once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ichnilatis once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ichnilatis once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ichnilatis once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ichnilatis once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ichnilatis once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ichnilatis once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ichnilatis once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzie View Post
I suspect it was written by a Chinese contributor many years ago. Ideally someone would polish it a bit by making the options depend on what's in that folder, but for the moment you can set the default in persistent.defaults.lua.

Incidentally, is there a document available on Archive.org or some such to test with?
What word should be instead of "Chinese"? I mean what change I should make in persistent.defaults.lua?

I upload a page of a scanned book. I noticed that the book I was reading was in djvu format. I converted the page into pdf for you. I believe that the problem exist both for pdf and djvu.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf p0242.pdf (600.6 KB, 173 views)
Old 12-29-2020, 03:35 PM   #4
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The text is meaningless really, it's the three letters hidden behind it that count. In your case grc and ell.
https://github.com/koreader/koreader....lua#L115-L118
Old 12-29-2020, 03:43 PM   #5
Frenzie
Wizard

It works for me — more or less. The OCR isn't great at spaces in italic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2020-12-29_21-42-26.png
Views:	276
Size:	616.0 KB
ID:	184359  

Last edited by Frenzie; 12-29-2020 at 04:31 PM. Reason: typo
Advert
Old 12-30-2020, 03:55 AM   #6
ichnilatis
Groupie

So, do I have to make this correction?

-- document languages for OCR
DKOPTREADER_CONFIG_DOC_LANGS_TEXT = {"English", "Ancient Greek"}
DKOPTREADER_CONFIG_DOC_LANGS_CODE = {"eng", "grc"} -- language code, make sure you have corresponding training data
DKOPTREADER_CONFIG_DOC_DEFAULT_LANG_CODE = "eng" -- that have filenames starting with the language codes

From the screenshot you sent I conclude that the breathings (᾿ ῾), the circumflex (῀) and the grave accent (`) are not recognized... and some letters

Can this problem be solved?
Old 12-30-2020, 06:02 AM   #7
Frenzie
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichnilatis View Post
So, do I have to make this correction?

-- document languages for OCR
DKOPTREADER_CONFIG_DOC_LANGS_TEXT = {"English", "Ancient Greek"}
DKOPTREADER_CONFIG_DOC_LANGS_CODE = {"eng", "grc"} -- language code, make sure you have corresponding training data
DKOPTREADER_CONFIG_DOC_DEFAULT_LANG_CODE = "eng" -- that have filenames starting with the language codes
Something like that, yes. If you want to keep it, make sure to put it in persistent.defaults.lua.

Quote:
From the screenshot you sent I conclude that the breathings (᾿ ῾), the circumflex (῀) and the grave accent (`) are not recognized... and some letters

Can this problem be solved?
It's probably much less of a problem in non-italic text, but unless you have a slightly higher DPI original document not really. A newer version of Tesseract might also do slightly better.
Old 12-30-2020, 06:17 AM   #8
ichnilatis
Groupie

Quote:
Something like that, yes. If you want to keep it, make sure to put it in persistent.defaults.lua.
Not just in defaults.lua? Where can I find persistent.defaults.lua?

Quote:
It's probably much less of a problem in non-italic text, but unless you have a slightly higher DPI original document not really. A newer version of Tesseract might also do slightly better.
I use the Version 3.04, as it is recommended here. Can I use a newer version of Tesseract?

Thanks for your replies!
Old 12-30-2020, 10:29 AM   #9
Frenzie
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichnilatis View Post
Not just in defaults.lua? Where can I find persistent.defaults.lua?
It's a file you have to create yourself. defaults.lua will be overwritten by updates.

Quote:
Can I use a newer version of Tesseract?
Not in KOReader, but an update to Tesseract 4 is coming. I wouldn't count on any noticeable improvements except in some edge cases, but at the same time it's probably not getting any worse either.
Old 12-30-2020, 10:44 AM   #10
ichnilatis
Groupie

Frenzie, I have made the correction in defaults.lua and individual words are recognized correctly. (I try to take a screenshot to show you, but I can't. I've just make a thread with this question...) But, when I choose more than one words and then I choose dictionary at the popup menu, nothing happens.

Also, I notice that when I highlight one or more words, the text isn't shown in the bookmark, as usually, but only the page and the time.

Quote:
It's a file you have to create yourself. defaults.lua will be overwritten by updates.
You mean I can make the file with Notepad with just the above mentioned text for ocr?

One more question: Why there are only two options for the text language? What should be the second option instead of "Chinese"? Each user has to make the change manually in the defaults.lua?

Thanks again!
Old 12-30-2020, 11:08 AM   #11
ichnilatis
Groupie

Quote:
It works for me — more or less. The OCR isn't great at spaces in italic.
Actually the problem isn't with the italics but with Greek (even Modern Greek). When I highlight a text with upright letters, both Greek and English, in the popup dictionary window there are not spaces among the Greek words, but only among the English ones.

It's a pity I can't take a screenshot of this...
Old 12-30-2020, 12:14 PM   #12
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
If you're doing this on your Pocketbook device, you _can_ take a screenshot. You can set some button (e.g. Power Double Press) to capture a screenshot by configuring it in Settings>Personalize>Key Mapping. The screenshots end up as bitmap images in the /screens folder, so you can get them via USB from there.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 12:24 PM   #13
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
If you're doing this on your Pocketbook device, you _can_ take a screenshot. You can set some button (e.g. Power Double Press) to capture a screenshot by configuring it in Settings>Personalize>Key Mapping. The screenshots end up as bitmap images in the /screens folder, so you can get them via USB from there.
IIRC the native screenshot tool won't work on KOReader. It is intended for apps built against the PBSDK.
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 01:18 PM   #14
ichnilatis
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
Unfortunately the images taken this way from KOReader are blank.

However, thank you for your help.
Old 12-30-2020, 02:53 PM   #15
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Ah, I assumed that the system was taking it from the framebuffer, since it works with the home screen. Sorry for the misdirection.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ocr