Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 02-20-2020, 04:45 AM   #1
brigader
Enthusiast
brigader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brigader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brigader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brigader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brigader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brigader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brigader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brigader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brigader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brigader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brigader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Max,irex 800s
onyx boox 3 or wait for onyx boox 4 ?

Hi,
I currently have the original max boox original 13.3 reader and I still love it for PDF work.
Things I don't like are no touch screen.... Kindle reader is a bit slow to turn pages.
Also, OneNote note-taking was slow/not usable.
Loved the readly app, but again is limited without the touchscreen.

So do I now buy the MAX3.. It looks pretty good to me, but just wondering what the user experience is like for the above-mentioned apps, particularly Kindle now, as I am reading a lot more normal books. Or do I just buy a normal kindle?

What will Onyx boox max 4 be like?

Id love them to add a slot for the stylus like galaxy note 10. Almost lost my stylus several times... :-)

Thanks

Paul.

Last edited by brigader; 02-20-2020 at 04:47 AM.
brigader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 05:37 AM   #2
MachinaCarnis
MachinaCarnis began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Nova Pro
You should wait for Onyx Boox 16, they plan to have animated holograms in color with surround sound system. ;-)
MachinaCarnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2020, 05:51 AM   #3
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachinaCarnis View Post
You should wait for Onyx Boox 16, they plan to have animated holograms in color with surround sound system. ;-)
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 06:18 AM   #4
brigader
Enthusiast
brigader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brigader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brigader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brigader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brigader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brigader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brigader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brigader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brigader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brigader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brigader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Smile lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachinaCarnis View Post
I really need it for PDF and mainly and kindle, and a few apps. Dont want the holgrams just yet ;-)

And the touch screen support and multi pages view. And to be a bit faster running Kindle. PDF reading I am still happy with on the MAX BOOX1... So is it worth the upgrade really? or do I buy kindle just for the reading novels. Rather have the one device.

Last edited by brigader; 02-20-2020 at 06:23 AM.
Old 02-20-2020, 08:35 PM   #5
xoanohn
Connoisseur
xoanohn doesn't litterxoanohn doesn't litter

Device: Aura One, Aura, H2O, ipad pro 12.9 (2015 and 2017), PRS-T1, PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by brigader View Post
I really need it for PDF and mainly and kindle, and a few apps. Dont want the holgrams just yet ;-)

And the touch screen support and multi pages view. And to be a bit faster running Kindle. PDF reading I am still happy with on the MAX BOOX1... So is it worth the upgrade really? or do I buy kindle just for the reading novels. Rather have the one device.
I had the note 1, the nova and now the boox 3. I'll never get another device from them. It is so buggy.

Just look at all the bugs. http://bbs.onyx-international.com/t/...-2-note-2/2266
xoanohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2020, 01:59 AM   #6
brigader
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoanohn View Post
I had the note 1, the nova and now the boox 3. I'll never get another device from them. It is so buggy.

Just look at all the bugs. http://bbs.onyx-international.com/t/...-2-note-2/2266
Thank you, Sure will be bugs, but still like the 13.3 readers. But just working out what will be in max v4.. or just bite the bullet and go for max3.

Thanks

Paul
Old 02-21-2020, 05:22 AM   #7
orpheus2011
Connoisseur
orpheus2011 doesn't litterorpheus2011 doesn't litterorpheus2011 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
I have the Boox Max 2 Pro, and tried the Boox Max 3, to get Android 9 and a faster, more slim body. I didn't like it. The NeoReader performance was comparable, certainly not worth spending 800+ USD on, but most importantly, the screen was much greyer in background than the Boox 2 Pro. As a consequence, the contrast was affected, looking at them side by side, I felt that the Boox Max 2 was much better. I guess it has to do with the new layer placed in front of the screen to give a more handwriting-like feel. Will wait out for Boox Max 4 or 5, hopefully at some point the Android 6 devices will receive the 9 upgrade and we can have side by side viewing on NeoReader.
orpheus2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 05:06 AM   #8
M_Faust
Zealot
M_Faust doesn't litterM_Faust doesn't litterM_Faust doesn't litter

Device: PocketBook 912, Onyx Boox Max, Max 3
I had the Boox Max 1, and bought the Boox Max 3. I like it, because:
1. capacitive touch screen (after couple year only with stylus it is amazing how use of finger more convenient, and scribble mode always ON - leaf page with finger, scribble whith stylus)
2. Androids version (9.0 vs 4.0.4)
3. Launcher (more usable)
4. Rotation without 3rd party apps (it is really important to me)
5. More faster work with pdf's (open, scribble, leaf through page) and in general more faster.
6. More ways to optimize 3rd party apps.
7. Navigation Ball (i did similar on Max 1 with root and 3rd party apps)
What i don't like:
1. Color (black more convenient)
2. White styluses tips get dirty pretty soon.
In my opinion it is worth bought Max 3 for replacement Max 1 (maybe only wait for black version).
Really matters improvement would be only front light (realistically speaking).
For stylus you can bought cover - loop fitting close enough.
M_Faust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 05:58 AM   #9
brigader
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Faust View Post
I had the Boox Max 1, and bought the Boox Max 3. I like it, because:
1. capacitive touch screen (after couple year only with stylus it is amazing how use of finger more convenient, and scribble mode always ON - leaf page with finger, scribble whith stylus)
2. Androids version (9.0 vs 4.0.4)
3. Launcher (more usable)
4. Rotation without 3rd party apps (it is really important to me)
5. More faster work with pdf's (open, scribble, leaf through page) and in general more faster.
6. More ways to optimize 3rd party apps.
7. Navigation Ball (i did similar on Max 1 with root and 3rd party apps)
What i don't like:
1. Color (black more convenient)
2. White styluses tips get dirty pretty soon.
In my opinion it is worth bought Max 3 for replacement Max 1 (maybe only wait for black version).
Really matters improvement would be only front light (realistically speaking).
For stylus you can bought cover - loop fitting close enough.

Thank you for your comments. Did you try the Kindle app, on the max boox 1 it is a bit slow to load and page-turning, is slow too.

For now I have decided to wait.. I will continue to use my MAX BOOX 1 for the PDF, and in the meantime I brought a kindle to read novels on.

I actually found out I like the front lighting on the kindle. So makes me think about that a lot for MAX BOOX 4, or maybe i will try the 10 inch.

Really got me thinking.....

Lets see what happens this year...

It would be nice if they did introduce colour, even in faded ebook format ;-)
And I now quite like the idea of front lighting. (But not so important)
Most important for me though is PDF for the manuals I have to read, and currently the MAXBOOX 1 still works for me.

I would like a styles that FITS IN THE BODY! I have taken to purchasing a stylus clip, as my pen has broken the handle that fits on the holder...
Why can't they make it like the samsung note series. Or a pen with a loop on with a bit of string. lol

Lets see what they come up with in September.

Thanks

Paul