Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 11-27-2015, 06:54 AM   #1
Oxford-eBooks
Zealot
Oxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Loads!
Angry Formatting bug in iPad KIndle App - ordered lists

Hi,
Has anyone noticed a formatting glitch on the iPad Kindle reader where the first NUMBER in an ORDERED list is formatted the same as the preceding text?

In the code, below, the first "1" appears large, and bold as the H2 above it.
I've shouted into the void that is Amazon to see if I can submit a bug report. In the meantime, a "sacrificial space" absorbs the error and hopfully, will satisfy my client.

Code:
 <h2 class="chapterHead">Contents</h2><p><span>&nbsp;</span></p>

<ol>
	<li><a href = "01-01.xhtml">Looking for God</a></li>
	<li><a href = "01-02.xhtml">Getting to know someone</a></li>
	<li><a href = "01-03.xhtml">Friends and strangers</a></li>
	<li><a href = "01-04.xhtml">How can I believe that?</a></li>
	<li><a href = "01-05.xhtml">Layers</a></li>
	<li><a href = "01-06.xhtml">In the family</a></li>
	<li><a href = "01-07.xhtml">Something special</a></li>
	<li><a href = "01-08.xhtml">Take-away prayer</a></li>
	<li><a href = "01-09.xhtml">Day in, day out</a></li>
	<li><a href = "01-10.xhtml">Doing it ourselves</a></li>
	<li><a href = "01-11.xhtml">The greatest prayer</a></li>
	<li><a href = "01-12.xhtml">Where we started</a></li>
</ol>
note the
Code:
<p><span>&nbsp;</span></p>
following directly after the H2 to correct the fault.
Oxford-eBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 09:06 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moved to the "Kindle Formats" forum, where this type of post belongs.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2015, 09:50 AM   #3
dgatwood
Curmudgeon
dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Nook Simple Touch
What does it do on older e-ink Kindles?
dgatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 10:19 AM   #4
Oxford-eBooks
Zealot
Oxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgatwood View Post
What does it do on older e-ink Kindles?
Works just fine - but looking at the code then I'd bloomin' well hope so.
Naturally, it's also fine on everything else when built as an ePub.
Just seems to be the iPad Kindle reader.... also fine on Kindle Previewer.

I wrote to Amazon KDP and they've actually responded and are happy to take screenshots and code.... wow!
Old 11-27-2015, 02:44 PM   #5
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
This bug only affects the old MOBI7 format and the Kindle for PC/iOS/Android apps. (If you sideload an .azk file to to the Kindle for iOS app, the problem no longer occurs.)

The bug also doesn't occur with current eInk Kindle models. (I tested the MOBI7 file with my PW2.)
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2015, 05:26 AM   #6
Oxford-eBooks
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
This bug only affects the old MOBI7 format and the Kindle for PC/iOS/Android apps. (If you sideload an .azk file to to the Kindle for iOS app, the problem no longer occurs.)

The bug also doesn't occur with current eInk Kindle models. (I tested the MOBI7 file with my PW2.)
Yep, saw it working fine on the Kindle eInk and also in Kindle previewer which is probably why we missed it at first. Interesting, I suppose that the problem might actually 'go away' when the MOBI is ingested into KDP and they do the "converting to Kindle format" process. Guess that's why they've asked me to set the book up on KDP as well so that they can look into it.

On that topic... you say "old Mobi7" format - we're compiling KF8 in a MOBI using KindleGen V2.9 (I should look to see if there's an update). What's the deal with AZK and preferred Kindle formats nowadays? Worth knowing so that we can avoid some of these little sillies.
Old 11-30-2015, 05:54 AM   #7
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxford-eBooks View Post
Interesting, I suppose that the problem might actually 'go away' when the MOBI is ingested into KDP and they do the "converting to Kindle format" process.
It'll indeed go away for most Kindle and Kindle app users.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxford-eBooks View Post
On that topic... you say "old Mobi7" format - we're compiling KF8 in a MOBI using KindleGen V2.9
KindleGen generates a hybrid file that contains the old and new formats as well as the source files. (Amazon will automatically deliver the old format to devices and apps that don't support KF8.)
If you sideload a KindleGen generated .mobi file to an iOS device, only the old Mobi7/KF7/PRC part will be displayed. That's why Kindle Previewer will automatically generate an .azk file, if you select Kindle for iPhone/iPad as the target device.

BTW, you can split up hybrid mobi files with the KindleUnpack Calibre plugin, however, you shouldn't upload files generated by KindleUnpack to KDP.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 06:09 AM   #8
Oxford-eBooks
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
It'll indeed go away for most Kindle and Kindle app users.

KindleGen generates a hybrid file that contains the old and new formats as well as the source files. (Amazon will automatically deliver the old format to devices and apps that don't support KF8.)
If you sideload a KindleGen generated .mobi file to an iOS device, only the old Mobi7/KF7/PRC part will be displayed. That's why Kindle Previewer will automatically generate an .azk file, if you select Kindle for iPhone/iPad as the target device.

BTW, you can split up hybrid mobi files with the KindleUnpack Calibre plugin, however, you shouldn't upload files generated by KindleUnpack to KDP.

Forum wouldn't let me give you Karma so I'll have to make do with the aminated smily!