Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-30-2019, 01:00 PM   #1
BionicGecko
Addict
BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Oasis 3 and Scribe
Oasis 3 lighting gradient

Hello all,

I received my Oasis on Friday and love the form factor and warm light. I did notice however that when the front light is on the side where the buttons are is a tad darker than the other side. I googled and found out that the Oasis 2 had a similar issue (although from what I read the darker side was the one opposite the buttons).

I made a couple of pictures to make sure I was not mistaken, and sure enough there is a gradient (I flipped the bottom part of the images horizontally to highlight the difference)

I’m considering returning it now for a new one; am I being too picky? For those who own an Oasis 3, do you also notice this?

Edit: I just saw there was another thread asking the same question; can’t find out how to delete this one and move my question there, sorry!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B3EFB4C0-3FFC-4F84-8EA8-4F6C8EE42417.jpeg
Views:	480
Size:	163.4 KB
ID:	173833   Click image for larger version

Name:	5C88A32B-CAB7-4954-A64D-DD053AFDD0F7.jpeg
Views:	491
Size:	171.7 KB
ID:	173834   Click image for larger version

Name:	6EF3FECC-3B2F-4733-A87F-6AED761F91C7.jpeg
Views:	453
Size:	155.6 KB
ID:	173835   Click image for larger version

Name:	4388F133-8C94-4218-9370-0301D7173575.jpeg
Views:	451
Size:	172.1 KB
ID:	173836   Click image for larger version

Name:	9DF1085F-4E2B-4CDD-ADE3-481119D458B8.jpeg
Views:	477
Size:	161.4 KB
ID:	173837  

Last edited by BionicGecko; 09-30-2019 at 01:08 PM.
BionicGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 01:15 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
My Oasis 3 has very little gradient, certainly less than my Oasis 2. I suggest you try to exchange it. From your pictures it seems the lighting on your device is not particularly good.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 01:26 PM   #3
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here are some pics of mine (the new Kobo Libra is the other device):
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=274

While the light is not absolutely, perfectly even, especially on the lower light levels, it's still way better than my Oasis 2.
Old 09-30-2019, 01:33 PM   #4
BionicGecko
Addict
BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
From your pictures it seems the lighting on your device is not particularly good.
Indeed, looking at the pics I see a graininess that isn’t there in real life - maybe I should have cleaned my phone lenses before taking the pics!

This being said the gradient is there for sure, and it’s bothering me when I read. Thank you for your advice to return it, I might just do that.

I just checked on the Amazon website, and they are now back-ordered until November I’m not very keen on waiting a month for a replacement that has the same problem. How widespread is this issue?
Old 09-30-2019, 01:36 PM   #5
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BionicGecko View Post
Indeed, looking at the pics I see a graininess that isn’t there in real life - maybe I should have cleaned my phone lenses before taking the pics!

This being said the gradient is there for sure, and it’s bothering me when I read. Thank you for your advice to return it, I might just do that.

I just checked on the Amazon website, and they are now back-ordered until November I’m not very keen on waiting a month for a replacement that has the same problem. How widespread is this issue?
From the various posts here it seems rather less widespread than it was with the Oasis 2. The Oasis 3 is generally deemed the most evenly lighted device Amazon has released so far.
Old 09-30-2019, 01:41 PM   #6
BionicGecko
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Here are some pics of mine (the new Kobo Libra is the other device):
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=274

While the light is not absolutely, perfectly even, especially on the lower light levels, it's still way better than my Oasis 2.
I applied the same process to your pictures than I did for mine, and the difference is really night and day; the gradient on your device is so small that it’s basically nonexistent.

This convinced me I have to return my device. Thanks for sharing those pics!
Old 09-30-2019, 01:45 PM   #7
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
I know my O2 had a some of a gradient, but not very bad at all. Barely there. My O1 has more of a gradient, I can see it on it. My Voyage has a barely there gradient. So I am capable of seeing them. I don't see a thing on my Oasis3 and I tried looking at it from all sides and at all lights. All I see is even light and "color".

So I hope you can look at another unit as if the pictures are a representation what your screen looks like, it doesn't look right to me.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 02:25 PM   #8
BionicGecko
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
So I hope you can look at another unit as if the pictures are a representation what your screen looks like, it doesn't look right to me.
Thanks for your advice. I was looking at the pics again and I felt they don’t convey correctly what I see in real life, maybe because the content of the screen is not uniform. So I went ahead, cleaned my phone lenses and took a few more pics, with only text this time.

The results don’t look as bas as before; based on this, do you guys still feel like it’s worth exchanging it?

Thanks a lot for your help!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0A9E19A3-0D7B-4E55-AF9B-7F57F18F7924.jpeg
Views:	317
Size:	376.4 KB
ID:	173838   Click image for larger version

Name:	9ED7A742-C870-48E0-B8B9-00C3E6E2D88C.jpeg
Views:	450
Size:	397.3 KB
ID:	173839   Click image for larger version

Name:	BECCECF9-D7A7-40D2-8DA8-92B6FC61DF3D.jpeg
Views:	347
Size:	374.9 KB
ID:	173840   Click image for larger version

Name:	54EA2D1E-B68C-43A7-832B-A6BAD03A58FE.jpeg
Views:	340
Size:	383.4 KB
ID:	173841  
Old 09-30-2019, 02:35 PM   #9
BionicGecko
Addict

For reference, here a few of the pics posted by Sirtel from his own Oasis 3, on which I applied the “bottom flip”.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	D5FED3CE-F49C-4104-B1CD-1082EAE94E76.jpeg
Views:	381
Size:	301.3 KB
ID:	173842   Click image for larger version

Name:	B2D8036A-296F-4FAC-A021-5CFE8AEDF086.jpeg
Views:	411
Size:	375.2 KB
ID:	173843   Click image for larger version

Name:	5ECCBC44-0A36-4FB8-B840-C2CF7F692726.jpeg
Views:	360
Size:	326.4 KB
ID:	173844  
Old 09-30-2019, 03:09 PM   #10
BionicGecko
Addict

Trying to convince myself hard that my Oasis is fine, but the thumbnails from my last two posts side by side really speak for themselves. back to Amazon it goes.

Thank you all for your advice!
Old 09-30-2019, 06:36 PM   #11
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Quote:
Trying to convince myself hard that my Oasis is fine, but the thumbnails from my last two posts side by side really speak for themselves. back to Amazon it goes.

I don’t blame you for sending it back. Seven years after their first lighted Kindle and Amazon still hasn’t gotten it mastered yet. I expect that shadowy look on my cheap Kindle Basic, but I wouldn’t accept it on the expensive Oasis 3. I know some people cannot see the shadows, and some likely choose to conveniently ignore it, but the shadows exist on every lighted Kindle I’ve ever seen. Perhaps some people can see it more than others because of their eyesight. But it is definitely there. If it bothers you then definitely return it. I chose to keep my shadowy Kindle Basic 10th gen only because I plan to use it exclusively when outside with sunlight. Indoors I use my iPhone or iPad.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 07:24 PM   #12
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Quote:

I know e-ink is hard to photograph, but if your Oasis looks like your pictures in real life, then I would try another unit also. I can clearly see dark shadows on one side. That would distract me to no end. Looks pretty bad.

I hope you have a much better experience with another unit. As far as I can tell, I am not seeing a lot of postings or reviews about lighting issues on this new oasis. To me it is the most evenly lit and pretty screen of all the lit kindles I have had so far. And my Oasis2 really was quite a nice screen also. I only traded it in because I wanted the new shiny thing.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 07:34 PM   #13
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
To me it is the most evenly lit and pretty screen of all the lit kindles I have had so far.
I have the same experience. The gradient on my Oasis 3 is so small it's not really noticeable to the naked eye. I can certainly see gradients on my other ereaders, Voyage, Oasis 2, Kobo. The Nook also has a small, but noticeable gradient. So it's not only Amazon who can't get it right, it's the plague of all eink readers. The Oasis 3 is actually the best of the bunch in that regard.
Old 10-01-2019, 03:59 PM   #14
Kolja
Zealot
Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I'm very picky about screens and returned the Oasis 1 and 2 because I found the gradient on the screens unacceptable. I have the Oasis 3 now and the screen is near perfect. Most people have reported that the Oasis 3 has an improved screen. Definitely return your device even if you have to wait for a new one.
Kolja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 04:55 PM   #15
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
The gradient is pretty obvious in your pictures. I don't think I would be happy living with that. I know it's a pain but, if it were me, I would return it. Sorry.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote