Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-06-2009, 01:39 AM   #1
Renaldo
Addict
Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Help me find story from Isaac Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine

Hi, this is a long shot. I'm looking for a story that was published in Isaac Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine, sometime between 1983-1985. Probably 83 or 84 is more likely.

I know there are a few long time readers of this mag here, and I'm not expecting any one to be able to tell me the name of the story or the author. I'm hoping someone can point me in the direction of a site that lists issues and their contents. I haven't been able to find one.

For anyone that's curious, This is what I remember: The story had a theme of extreme paranoia, more specifically the main character being spied on through the outlets and electrical wiring in his home somehow. I believe he had pretty much barricaded himself in his home. Another character, an asian woman I think, possibly the main character's girlfriend, commits suicide (or is driven to it by whoever's spying on him) by rigging the door to a microwave and sticking her head in it. I know it was published during the years I posted above, because I had a subscription to those years.

Any help is appreciated!

EDIT: Oops, somehow the I fell off the title.
Renaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 06:51 AM   #2
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
http://www.locusmag.com/index/0start.htm

The index only goes back to 1984 for magazines.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2009, 07:35 AM   #3
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaldo View Post
For anyone that's curious, This is what I remember: The story had a theme of extreme paranoia, more specifically the main character being spied on through the outlets and electrical wiring in his home somehow. I believe he had pretty much barricaded himself in his home. Another character, an asian woman I think, possibly the main character's girlfriend, commits suicide (or is driven to it by whoever's spying on him) by rigging the door to a microwave and sticking her head in it. I know it was published during the years I posted above, because I had a subscription to those years.

Any help is appreciated!
This sounds like John Varley's "Press Enter".

The bad guy is a sentient computer.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 07:50 AM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
This sounds like John Varley's "Press Enter".

The bad guy is a sentient computer.
______
Dennis
Yes it does.

That story is in a number of anthologies including The John Varley Reader:
http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/b8...n-Varley/?si=0
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 07:51 AM   #5
mazzeltjes
Addict
mazzeltjes doesn't littermazzeltjes doesn't litter

Device: sony 505
That's it
mazzeltjes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2009, 11:36 AM   #6
Renaldo
Addict
Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Thanks for all the help! I'll try to follow up on Varley's Press Enter and see if that's it. I knew someone here would know it. Thanks a lot!
Renaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 11:55 AM   #7
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
An excellent result. You might get better (or faster, or answers on more obscure tales) by posting on USENET rec.arts.sf.written, with the prefix YASID (yet another story identification). I've seen some _really_ obscure sf stories identified on the thinnest of descriptions there.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote