Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 01-03-2016, 06:47 AM   #1
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.
Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Libra II
Advice needed for plugin running background thread

As described in another thread I'm thinking of writing a plugin to reset permissions on files in the auto-add directory so they don't get stuck there for weeks until I manually reset them. (The rights and wrongs of it are discussed extensively in that thread, but I feel like trying it anyway, as an exercise if nothing else.)

The idea is to have a plugin which spins off a background thread when Calibre starts up, which shuts down when Calibre shuts down. I was thinking of something along the following lines:
Code:
class MyPlugin(Plugin):
    keepRunning = True
    def threadBody():
        while keepRunning:
    def __init__(self):
        thread = new Thread(target=threadBody)
        thread.start()
Can anyone advise me:
(a) am I going about this in the right way -- that is, will this do what I want?
(b) what are the lifecycle issues I need to deal with (i.e. setting my keepRunning flag to False to shut down the thread in an orderly way; handling plugin reloads or whatever) and how do I deal with them?
(c) is there anything else I should know before I dive in (apart from RTFM, of course)?

I've never written a plugin before, so feel free to tell me I'm a complete idiot!

Last edited by Phssthpok; 01-03-2016 at 07:15 AM.
Phssthpok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 07:49 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Create a user interface plugin start your thread in the genesis() method and shut it down in the shutting_down() method. And dont forget to set your thread as a daemon.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2016, 08:00 AM   #3
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.
Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Create a user interface plugin start your thread in the genesis() method and shut it down in the shutting_down() method. And dont forget to set your thread as a daemon.
Thanks!
Old 01-06-2016, 11:25 AM   #4
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.

Okay, this is what I came up with for anyone else who's interested. All it does is try to make any files in the auto-add directory readable and writable so that the auto-adder can process them, signal the auto-adder to process the files, and then sleep for 10 minutes. It can undoubtedly be improved but it's good enough for me for now.
Attached Files
File Type: zip autoadd_unblocker.zip (1.5 KB, 311 views)
Old 01-06-2016, 12:43 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Well, you could at least tell it to only mangle permissions for filetypes that calibre knows about and tries to add...
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2016, 01:40 PM   #6
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Well, you could at least tell it to only mangle permissions for filetypes that calibre knows about and tries to add...
Yeah, it's only a toy at the moment. Is there a list of filetypes that Calibre tries to add somewhere easily accessible? (I wouldn't want to hard-code it of course, as new formats will presumably come along sometime.) If so, it's easy enough to fix. And maybe the delay should be configurable, and so on.

Incidentally, does anyone ever put files they don't want Calibre to add in the auto-add directory? If so, why? And does this mean a manual clearing-out every so often, or what? (I only ever drop book files into my auto-add directory, and I assumed this was the norm for others too.)

Last edited by Phssthpok; 01-06-2016 at 01:47 PM.
Old 01-06-2016, 01:45 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The unsurprisingly-named and -located:

Code:
from calibre.ebooks import BOOK_EXTENSIONS
And some people use ~/Downloads as an auto-add folder.

How do I find these things out? I take a look at how calibre adds things, in calibre.gui2.add_to_library and calibre.gui2.auto_add

Last edited by eschwartz; 01-06-2016 at 01:55 PM.
Old 01-06-2016, 01:56 PM   #8
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.

Quote:
The unsurprisingly-named and -located:

Code:
from calibre.ebooks import BOOK_EXTENSIONS
And some people use ~/Downloads as an auto-add folder.

How do I find these things out? I take a look at how calibre adds things, in calibre.gui2.add_to_library and calibre.gui2.auto_add
Thanks!

...although I see the auto-adder ignores some of those file types, so probably I would be better off using "from calibre.gui2.auto-add import AUTO_ADDED" in this case?

Last edited by Phssthpok; 01-06-2016 at 02:05 PM.
Old 01-06-2016, 02:28 PM   #9
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.

Quote:
Here you go:
Attached Files
File Type: zip autoadd_unblocker.zip (1.9 KB, 294 views)
Old 01-06-2016, 02:45 PM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
You could also just mangle them for files that do NOT have the correct permissions.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 03:01 PM   #11
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
You could also just mangle them for files that do NOT have the correct permissions.
Ah, but that would be a no-op change...
Old 01-06-2016, 03:15 PM   #12
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Sigh; no rest for the wicked!
Attached Files
File Type: zip autoadd_unblocker.zip (2.0 KB, 272 views)
Old 01-06-2016, 03:16 PM   #13
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.

Quote:
Ah, but that would be a no-op change...
Hmm, good point! Getting late where I am... Pity I read this after I got suckered into making the change... so I've undone it now. Good night all.

Last edited by Phssthpok; 01-06-2016 at 03:19 PM.
Old 01-06-2016, 03:44 PM   #14
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Checking for the pre-existing permissions only of files that are already slated to be added and cleaned up?

We don't care about preserving the mtime if it is being deleted, do we...

On the separate topic of efficiency, I had/have no qualms.
Anyway, you'd lose time when you stat the current permissions, and gain time if you can skip writing new permissions to an already-rw file.
You'd save time by not writing+deleting the flag file if only already-rw files are there.
Neither matters unless the plugin wakes up right after you add a rw file and before the auto-add finishes processing it. Unlikely timing.

With the extra (wasted?) stat calls, you might actually lose time. I'm not sure if os.stat is faster than os.chmod, if not then you always lose.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:50 PM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The list of file types calibre adds is based on a user preference, the logic for getting that list is

Code:
        if gprefs['auto_add_everything']:
            self.allowed = AllAllowed()
        else:
            self.allowed = AUTO_ADDED - frozenset(gprefs['blocked_auto_formats'])
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thread that never ends