Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-24-2013, 08:24 AM   #1
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Kindle Reader on Windows 8

I've just got my first Windows 8 PC. (And I'm struggling mightily with it, but that's not the purpose of this post.)

The machine came installed with the Kindle for PC app. I've registered this to my Amazon account, and am able to open any of my books without difficulty.

However, there are a few points that are giving me trouble:

1. Where are the books physically stored? When I open a I book, I can see it being downloaded. It then becomes visible in the Device screen (as opposed to the Cloud screen). But I cannot find the physical file anywhere. (The reason I want to know this is so that I read books that were not purchased from Amazon.)

2. How do I search within a book? If I go to the Search option on the Charms bar, it lets me search across the titles of my books, or search the Amazon store. I can't see how to find a specific piece of text in the book itself.

3. How do I close the app? (This is more of Windows 8 question than a Kindle one; none of the apps that you launch from the Start screen have a title bar, and therefore no way of minimising, restoring or closing them, as far as I can see.)

4. And finally, if I can't solve any of the above problems, can I download the Windows XP / 7 version of the app, and run it on my Windows 8 machine?

Thanks in advance for any help with the above.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:30 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Hi Mike,

Many people have asked "where are the files stored" and the answer is "nobody knows". It's probably in a database rather than as separate files. Yes, you can happily installed and run the "normal" Kindle for PC alongside the Metro app.

To close a Metro app you can use the keyboard shortcut "Alt+F4", although, as on tablets, there's no real need to explicitly close them - the o/s looks after their memory usage and swaps them out when necessary.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2013, 11:53 AM   #3
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for that, Harry. I know I can always rely on you for a helpful answer.

I have now downloaded the "normal" version, and it works fine on my Windows 8 tablet. What's more, it seems to happily co-exist with the dedicated Windows 8 app. So I can use a different version for each of my Amazon accounts, and I can now also open non-Amazon books, which is mainly what I want.

It seems odd the the Windows 8 app doesn't support the ability to search within a book, but I suppose that's liveable with.

Also, I found out how to close the app in "tablet" mode (when I detach the screen from the keyboard): you have to sort of drag it downwards towards the bottom of the screen until it eventually shrinks into nothing. And, as you say, you can do Alt+F4 if you have a keyboard. How this is better than having a big red X at the top of the screen is beyond me, but that's progress.

Thanks again for your help.

Mike
Old 01-25-2013, 07:31 AM   #4
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Personally I have used on several different platforms including Windows 7 (Have not been able to get 8 to run yet, however that is a matter for Cnet), Apple Ios, Linux Ubuntu and Android. I tend to prefer the one running under the Ubuntu platform, although I need to instal windows emulation software since there is no Linux version as of yet, I find that Ubuntu tends to be faster at getting me access to my books and faster at task switching between apps.

Have you tried one of the many flavors of Linux? I tend to prefer to work with my kindle with the help of Linux.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:27 AM   #5
Mike L
Wizard

Thanks for that, JB. Yes, I am familiar with the various flavours of Linux. But that's not the issue here.

I happen to have acquired a Windows 8 tablet, and I thought I would use it for reading technical books and journals - the type that don't fit well on my physical Kindle's relatively small screen. That's why I was interested in the Kindle for Windows program.

I've now got the "old" version of that program working on the tablet, and it meets all my requirements.

(Next job: see how well Calibre works.)

Mike
Advert