Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-18-2016, 07:33 AM   #1
XXCoder
Enthusiast
XXCoder began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle pw2, NST
How change screen timeouts?

I want to set it to 30 minutes (10 minutes is too short for me) but my research goes everywhere and nowhere. Is there nice and safe way to change timeouts on my pw2?
XXCoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 05:48 PM   #2
XXCoder
Enthusiast

t1_timeout seem to contain that setting, but I don't see how to alter it, even when I use mntroot rw. Oddly there seem to be few copies so I'm uncertain how to change.

One suggests this command (it's for k5 not pw2 so paths is wrong)
sed -e 's/600/900/' /etc/kdb.src/luigi/system/daemon/powerd/t1_timeout.bkp > /etc/kdb.src/luigi/system/daemon/powerd/t1_timeout

but it did not work either. I could not make backup file (with BKP ext) first as it says read only.
Advert
Old 02-19-2016, 06:52 PM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXCoder View Post
t1_timeout seem to contain that setting, but I don't see how to alter it, even when I use mntroot rw. Oddly there seem to be few copies so I'm uncertain how to change.

One suggests this command (it's for k5 not pw2 so paths is wrong)
sed -e 's/600/900/' /etc/kdb.src/luigi/system/daemon/powerd/t1_timeout.bkp > /etc/kdb.src/luigi/system/daemon/powerd/t1_timeout

but it did not work either. I could not make backup file (with BKP ext) first as it says read only.
There seems to be two details that you are overlooking -

That: mntroot ro/rw command **only** effects the filesystem mounted at: '/' (root of the system tree) -
The rw or ro status does not propagate to other filesystems mounted in the system tree.

In addition to a file system mount to be marked ro/rw - it is possible that the file system is inherently read-only (I.E: Does not support write operations).

For example:
Code:
[root@kindle root]# mount
rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
/dev/root on / type ext3 (ro,noatime,nodiratime,barrier=0,data=writeback)
none on /proc type proc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
none on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
tmpfs on /dev type tmpfs (rw,relatime,mode=755)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,relatime)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,relatime,gid=5,mode=620)
tmpfs on /var type tmpfs (rw,relatime,size=32768k)
/dev/loop/2 on /usr/share/X11/xkb type cramfs (ro,noatime,nodiratime)
/dev/loop/3 on /usr/java/lib/fonts type cramfs (ro,noatime,nodiratime)
/dev/loop/4 on /etc/kdb.src type cramfs (ro,noatime,nodiratime)
/dev/loop/5 on /usr/lib/locale type cramfs (ro,noatime,nodiratime)
/dev/loop/6 on /usr/share/keyboard type cramfs (ro,noatime,nodiratime)
/dev/mmcblk0p3 on /var/local type ext3 (rw,relatime,errors=continue,barrier=0,data=writeback)
fsp on /mnt/us type fuse.fsp (rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,allow_other)
/dev/loop/0 on /mnt/base-us type vfat (rw,noexec,noatime,nodiratime,fmask=0000,dmask=0000,all)
ext2 on /var/local/swpmnt type ramfs (rw,relatime,size=3M)
Note the type of filesystem behind /dev/loop/4 -
It is cramfs -
cramfs is a read-only filesystem, it does not have a 'write' function.
cramfs can only be 'created' or 'read'.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 05:50 PM   #4
XXCoder
Enthusiast

Interesting. So far I know, there is only method to STOP screensaver. Then it would need to be rebooted to enable it again. Is there any method I don't know about that can change timing to be besides 10 minutes? I would love it to be 30 minutes.
Old 05-13-2016, 10:13 PM   #5
XXCoder
Enthusiast

https://kaarthik.wordpress.com/2007/...-cramfs-image/

Hm wonder if that'd work lol
Advert
Old 05-14-2016, 12:46 AM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If you where 'root' while doing it (to maintain ownership and permissions).

And a note about the 'sed ... ' method of changing things -
kdb.src is a database file, it is better to change its entries using kdb than possibly corrupting things in the dg.

K == Key, D == Data, B == Base (the system's key database - it is fairly important not to corrupt it. )
Old 05-14-2016, 10:40 AM   #7
Yourcat
Groupie
Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.

Device: PW3 5.6.5-usbnet
Afaik /etc is a folder in / and thus writable after the remount.
'find /etc/kdb.sec -name t1_timeout' should return the files. 'cat /path-to/t1_timeout' should display the contents and in the last line '600'. Setting this to 1800 may work for some Kindles.
I need to test this locally, hopefully /etc/kdb.sys is not a cramfs. So no joy here.

http://www.mobileread.mobi/forums/sh...d.php?t=220810 describes how to restart the 10min timer.

Show the remaining time, reset the timer and show the time again:
Code:
/usr/bin/powerd_test -s
lipc-set-prop com.lab126.powerd -i touchScreenSaverTimeout 1
/usr/bin/powerd_test -s

Last edited by Yourcat; 05-14-2016 at 11:00 AM.
Yourcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 10:59 AM   #8
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yourcat View Post
Afaik /etc is a folder in / and thus writable after the remount.
'find /etc/kdb.sec -name t1_timeout' should return the files. 'cat /path-to/t1_timeout' should display the contents and in the last line '600'. Setting this to 1800 may work for some Kindles.
I need to test this locally, hopefully /etc/kdb.sys is not a cramfs.

http://www.mobileread.mobi/forums/sh...d.php?t=220810 describes how to restart the 10min timer.
/etc is
/etc/kdb.sec is not (different file system)

You must be thinking 'Windows' -
*nix systems are 'single root' file trees (not per backing store) -
and any directory (a.k.a: folder) may have a file system attached to it (I.E: mounted).
Each mount point has its own mount options.
and in the case of kdb.src, the file system attached there does not support write operations - create and read only.

At the command line, type the command:
mount
to list all the active mount points.

There you will find:
Code:
/dev/loop/4 on /etc/kdb.src type cramfs (ro,noatime,nodiratime)
That 'ro' is because cramfs does not include 'rw' operation.

You can use the kdb utility (included in the Kindle firmware) to read that database.
See the cpu report script for an example.
(and the kdb utility's built-in help)

Last edited by knc1; 05-14-2016 at 11:04 AM.
Old 05-14-2016, 11:03 AM   #9
Yourcat
Groupie
Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.Yourcat knows the way to San Jose.

Device: PW3 5.6.5-usbnet
@knc1 I just saw the FS in your post (and on my kindle). I missed it on my small smartphone screen.
At least everything else in /[etc] is writable but this doesn't help here.
Yourcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 11:10 AM   #10
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yourcat View Post
@knc1 I just saw the FS in your post (and on my kindle). I missed it on my small smartphone screen.
At least everything else in /[etc] is writable but this doesn't help here.
Ah, sometimes.
The file system mounted at / is subject to the mntroot script actions.
and /etc is a part of the file system mounted at /

But keep in mind, this is *nix, the file system tree does not place any relationship on the file system backing stores it includes.
Non-*nix systems assign a 'root per file system' with some sort of notation to the user, such as: C: D: E: (etc).

Your phone is most likely also a *nix system, you should be used to the differences to non-*nix systems.

Last edited by knc1; 05-14-2016 at 11:12 AM.
Old 05-17-2016, 06:45 AM   #11
XXCoder
Enthusiast

So it is /etc/kdb.sys that contains data for say timeout and such?

So basically I remount that and recreate cramf but with modified timeout? I'd love it to be 30 minutes.
Old 05-17-2016, 07:38 AM   #12
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
So it is /etc/kdb.sys that contains data for say timeout and such?
- - - -
I thought that you had already determined that it does.

Use the kdb utility installed on the Kindle to list it, find out if it does.
Old 06-20-2016, 02:23 AM   #13
XXCoder
Enthusiast

I really need to try this. :P Been so busy.
Old 06-20-2016, 09:54 AM   #14
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
NiLuJe warned of the dangers of editing this file:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...06#post1473606

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-20-2016 at 01:53 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 11:59 AM   #15
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Yup.

Note that I broke my own advice for the custom MAC address thingy in USBNetwork, if one were to be so bold as to try this and wanted an example .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote