Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 06-05-2017, 05:57 AM   #1
ZombieKebab
ZombieKebab began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S 10.5
[Android] OK i think im broken.

I've always found Calibre amazing. Calibre Companion when it works is also great.
However with a book collection of 14k+ the syncing of the two is slow and fraught with too many device disconnections to mention.
I made the foolhardy decision to upgrade the SDCard in my Samsung Galaxy S10.5 (KitKit 4.4) from 64Gb to 128Gb.
I changed the path for the books to the correct Calibre folder on the SDCard. I configured the template for the best performance.
In CC i connected via WIFI, and sent fairly small groups of books to the device in Calibre.
It trundled along at an excruciating pace with Device disconnections every 5 or 10 minutes.
After 5 days i was relieved to have sent the final book.
However when searching for Books With Missing Files in CC it returned 6988 covers with no files.
I decided a different approach. I deleted the dead books from CC, and connected to Calibre with the content server option.
3 days later i had sent the final book with this method.
Search for Books with Missing files, and yup there's thousands of them again.
AS a final test i connected via WIFI and sent 200 of the missing books back.
They opened fine, until i rebooted the tablet and they have joined the missing list again.
I really tired of how difficult and long-winded this is.
Any suggestions would be gratefully received.
ZombieKebab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 08:17 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Disconnections when using the wireiess device are usually caused by poor wifi connections. I suggest that you do a WiFi channel usage survey to see whether your router is using a very busy channel and if some less busy channels are available. I use "WiFiAnalyzer (open-source)" for this. It is open source and ad-free. It is also worth looking at where the WiFi hub is located when you are doing the downloads. This article might help.

Another common reason for disconnections is the device going to sleep and turning off or throttling WiFi. This article might help.

As for the books and covers disappearing, sorry to say it but it sounds like the SD card you bought doesn't work, especially as it seems that the 64GB card did work. Perhaps the SD card file system (FAT32) is corrupt, perhaps the card advertises more space than it actually has (this is quite common on inexpensive cards), perhaps there is a bug in Samsung's SD card support, or perhaps the card simply doesn't work. In any case, files will disappear because the directory entries will be lost/corrupted.

Things to try:
  • Did you format the new SD card in the Samsung device where it is used? That is a frequently recommended step, because sometimes the SD cards are formatted in a strange way or in something other than FAT32.
  • If you have a card reader that you can attach to a desktop machine then you can use that machine to do a file system check of the card.
  • Google the card to see if it is known to report more space than it actually has.
  • Google "samsung 128gb sd card doesn't work". There are a lot of articles discussing this problem and things the users did to fix them.
  • Put the old card back in. If things work again then you know where the problem is.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2017, 02:06 AM   #3
ZombieKebab
ZombieKebab began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S 10.5
Thanks for the info.
Id ran h2testw and it seem to have been fine. This was when i first got the card.
After reading your post i formatted the card with the Samsung and started syncing again.
Copied 4893 books and the tablet crashed, and wouldn't see the card on reboot.
I took out the card and ran a chkdsk on it, in my laptop.
Thousands of corruption errors.
Ran h2testw again and it seemed fine.
However out of curiosity i located the card i brought on Ebay.
The last dozen or so feedbacks for this seller were all negative stating fake cards.
These people are total dicks to sell these.
Gonna return to my old faithful 64gb card.
Thanks again.
ZombieKebab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 03:31 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieKebab View Post
However out of curiosity i located the card i brought on Ebay...
There's your problem: I'd never, ever buy a memory card on eBay; the market is flooded with fakes, and you have no recourse in the event of problems.

I always buy branded cards from Amazon. I use my cards for photography, and the price of the card is trivial compared to the value of what's on it. If I spend £2000 on a photography trip and I lose everything I've taken due to a faulty card... I would not be happy. If that means spending £30 more on a branded card compared to a no-name fake, it's a small price to pay.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote