Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-16-2017, 10:37 AM   #2071
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
The question came up about preventing an update while registering a new Kindle, prior to installing the jailbreak.

Since the first post was not clear about the 'blocker directory' being something that can be used independently of the jailbreak, I thought a few more words would help to confuse the matter.
Ah, that clarifies it. In fact given that the current OTA updates are impossible to JB at present perhaps the recommendation should be to install the blocker before the Kindle can connect to the internet. Depending upon the environment this might involve turning off WiFi hot spots before waking the unit up.

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 02:43 PM   #2072
sebarkh
sebarkh began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Maybe silly question, but what will happen if I try to "factory image downgrade" on a brand new Kindle PW3 that is on 5.8.9.2 fw ?
sebarkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 02:48 PM   #2073
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebarkh View Post
Maybe silly question, but what will happen if I try to "factory image downgrade" on a brand new Kindle PW3 that is on 5.8.9.2 fw ?
The *.bin file gets deleted.

Did your Kindle have 5.8.9.2 installed on it when you took it out of the box?
If yes, from where did you get the Kindle? Amazon? Retailer? Tailgate of passing truck?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 07:01 PM   #2074
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
(They are trying to learn when NEW-IN-BOX kindles actually start to come with this un downgradeable image. So data is being sought about where it came from. )
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 06:07 AM   #2075
baalajimaestro
Expecto Patronum!
baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2(9017) 4GB, FW 5.7.4
@knc1: A request to add this piece of info to the first post of this thread instructing new jailbreakers to assist them in preventing an OTA updates to >=5.8.8. through an OTA Blocker directory.
baalajimaestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 09:01 AM   #2076
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baalajimaestro View Post
@knc1: A request to add this piece of info to the first post of this thread instructing new jailbreakers to assist them in preventing an OTA updates to >=5.8.8. through an OTA Blocker directory.
Would lead to more trouble than it is worth.

Some firmware releases in some countries are known to be able to over-ride the blocker directory.
And the serial port install is the only resort if the blocking fails prior to installing the jailbreak.
So telling people they can depend on it before the device is jailbroken is irresponsible.

After the device is jailbroken does not matter, the jb will survive the update.
And RP (Rescue Pack, which requires a jb to install) allows the person to downgrade back to whatever they want to run if it fails.

= = = =

Note:
I am only the person who maintains the instructions for this jailbreak.
Open and read the "Credits" spoiler for the list of people that have done the planning of implementing this jailbreak.
You can safely assume at least some of those people know (knew) what they are doing.
Old 06-17-2017, 09:05 AM   #2077
baalajimaestro
Expecto Patronum!
baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2(9017) 4GB, FW 5.7.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Some firmware releases in some countries are known to be able to over-ride the blocker directory.
And the serial port install is the only resort if the blocking fails prior to installing the jailbreak.
So telling people they can depend on it before the device is jailbroken is irresponsible.
Yup, read about this in our MR Forums. Probably a warning to do the registration thingy ASAP might do then!
baalajimaestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 12:21 PM   #2078
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by baalajimaestro View Post
Yup, read about this in our MR Forums. Probably a warning to do the registration thingy ASAP might do then!
Again no need. Don't rock the boat. We don't want to drown.
The people that worked on the jailbreak knew what they were doing.
No need to add to it.
Several people, lots of hours and a ton of practical experience behind it.
My job was answer or ask the simple questions and collect the download data.

Not to mention some of their IQs are off the charts.
As far as our maintainer goes: he is one of the smartest men I have ever had the pleasure of knowing so quit aggravating his blood pressure.
I know you are young, eager and want to help, but in order to help you need to learn and understand it all first. Let's put it this way, my oldest granddaughter is only a couple of years younger than you. The maintainer of this thread is old enough to be my father and has been working in various computer and other fields since before I was born. So he does know what he is doing.

Little secret, out of all the downloads (with the exception of the PW2 with firmware 5.6.5 ), there were less than 5% that came back with problems.

By adding more stuff (and why some of it is behind spoilers) would just be insulting the 95%'s intelligence.
Sorry I get a bit protective.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 11:36 PM   #2079
ssalogel
ssalogel began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Hi!

I've successfully jailbroken my device. I just want to make sure, but I could let it auto-update, and still install new things on it, as long as I don't reset it?

Thank you for the guide!
ssalogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 11:43 PM   #2080
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssalogel View Post
Hi!

I've successfully jailbroken my device. I just want to make sure, but I could let it auto-update, and still install new things on it, as long as I don't reset it?

Thank you for the guide!
Yes. Now never touch the reset button.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 12:04 AM   #2081
ssalogel
ssalogel began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Thank you for the quick answer!
ssalogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 08:17 AM   #2082
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssalogel View Post
Hi!

Thank you for the guide!
This is the second (third?) post of this question in as many days.

How could I write the third paragraph more clearly?
Quote:
If jailbroken on an earlier firmware version, the jailbreak is known to survive the update to either 5.8.8, 5.8.9 or 5.8.9.2.
It should survive an update to any firmware version. It is designed to be viral.
None of our add-ins are protected across updates, you must always re-install them.
Or if you are following the directions posted on some other site, you really should be asking them (or at least read ours before asking here about something you read somewhere else on the 'net).

= = = =

As Cinisajoy posted above: Keep your finger away from the 'reset' function.

If your Kindle does update, and you have not touched the 'reset' function, then the update did not break your jailbreak just because everything stops working.
Re-read the final (bold) sentence of the quoted paragraph above and do as it says.

= = = =

In the part of this country that Cinisajoy and I live in, it is a long established practice to hang anyone riding a horse that does not have the rider's own brand on it.
Usually without trial or even questions.
Sometimes such people where just shot, but few wanted to waste a $0.05 bullet on such people.

If one more person posts a question about the instructions they did not read, or did not read here;
We will figure out how to shoot you, without any other answer.

Last edited by knc1; 06-18-2017 at 08:33 AM.
Old 06-18-2017, 12:08 PM   #2083
challenges90
challenges90 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Hi there, thank you for the great job.
Recently I bought a Kindle Voyage 3G + WiFi (U.S.). The firmware is 5.8.7.0.1 which is just right. However, its S/N Prefix is 9054. I can't find it in that table. Is it Jailbreakable? If not, will it be possible in the near future?
challenges90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 01:08 PM   #2084
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by challenges90 View Post
Hi there, thank you for the great job.
Recently I bought a Kindle Voyage 3G + WiFi (U.S.). The firmware is 5.8.7.0.1 which is just right. However, its S/N Prefix is 9054. I can't find it in that table. Is it Jailbreakable? If not, will it be possible in the near future?
Sort of . . .
There just isn't any support for that model.

What does that mean?
I thought no one would ever ask . . .

All packages with the name format of: update_*.bin are 'model locked' and signed.
I.E: You can't edit them to make them install on a model they where not packaged for.

The one and only person that maintains our packaging tool is away from the forum, attending school.
So there is, at the moment, no one to edit and re-build KindleTool and then use that updated KindleTool to repackage everything.

Your answer:
I would suggest instead that you add the 'blocker directory' name as described in Step #7 at the top of visible USB storage to keep it from updating until we can support that model.

As best that we know, 5.8.7.0.1 can not defeat the 'blocker directory' means of preventing OTA updates.

PS:
I added your model and its description to the table.
Thanks for the new model report.

Last edited by knc1; 06-18-2017 at 01:14 PM.
Old 06-19-2017, 04:12 AM   #2085
Elendiar
Elendiar solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Elendiar solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Elendiar solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Elendiar solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Elendiar solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Elendiar solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Elendiar solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Elendiar solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Elendiar solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Elendiar solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Elendiar solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Lool, and never try enter 111222777 code as password or parental control password. I have survived jb on 5.8.9.2, maximum hacked pw, and irrepressible curiosity, but i think at least confirmation menu appears... Nope, just reboot and factory reset. But I do not regret, what a point of screensaver hack with my contacts and passworded device, if anyone, absolutely anyone can google and reset my kindle in few mins.
But i still hope in future jb 5.8.9.2, or... it unreal with that amazon policies now?

Last edited by Elendiar; 06-19-2017 at 04:15 AM.
Elendiar is offline   Reply With Quote